Cole to officially accept Kennedy Award today

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_122212228.html

Cole to become first Beaver to accept Kennedy Award today

Brian Woodson

The Bluefield Beavers have won nine state football championships, but had never had a player win the state’s most prestigious award.

Until now.

While Bluefield senior Will Cole was announced as the winner in December, he’ll finally be presented with the actual Kennedy Award hardware today during the West Virginia Sports Writers Association’s Victory Awards Dinner in Charleston.

“It’s really exciting,†Cole said. “Winning it was great, but actually getting to go up there and receive it, it’s a great feeling.â€

Even though several members of Cole’s family will be attendance, few will feel more pride in his accomplishment than Bluefield football coach Fred Simon.

“Whenever you have a player that represents your program with this honor and to be the first, you know it is an honor for me to be a part of it,†Simon said. “There have been a lot of fortunate things that have happened here for me.

“We’ve been fortunate to win some state championships, and we’ve been fortunate enough now to have a Kennedy Award winner so things are good right now...I’m very excited about it and very happy and proud to be going.â€

The Kennedy Award — named after deceased Wheeling native Harrison H. Kennedy — has been given annually — other than two years in the sixties — to the top high school football player in West Virginia since 1947.

It started with Hinton’s Darrell Patrick Shires, and has included such future college and professional stars as Robert Alexander, Curt Warner, Randy Moss, J.R. House and Quincy Wilson.

The closest player to Bluefield to win this award had been Joe Smithberger of Welch in 1963. Former Beavers’ star Yubrenal Isabelle — who played at the University of Virginia and spent time on the practice squad with the New England Patriots — was a runner-up for the award in 1996 to House, who put up prolific numbers as a quarterback at Nitro.

“(Isabelle) was a runner-up, and did a heck of a job running the ball and had great stats and was a heck of a defensive player,†Simon said. “He ended up winning the Huff Award, which is the best linebacker in the state, but he did not win the Kennedy Award and very easily could have.â€

No wonder Cole is humbled to be able to represent the Beaver Nation in what is the 61st year of the award.

“I feel real honored to win it because there have been a lot of great players here and to be the first one is a great feeling,†Cole said. “I feel real honored to be the first one.â€

His credentials are undeniable. He completed 203 of 345 passes (58.5 percent) for 3,022 yards and 33 touchdowns for the Beavers last season. He eclipsed the 300-yard mark in four of his final five games, and also ran for 182 more yards and added seven more scores.

Yet, Cole — who led Bluefield to a 7-5 record after an 0-3 start — was still shocked upon learning that he was the winner.

“I was a little surprised because there was a lot of competition for it,†said Cole, who also starred at safety, kicker and punter as a senior until a high ankle sprain limited him to offense from the eighth game on. “There was a lot of other great players in the state so I was a little surprised, but I felt like I had a pretty good season even though we came up two games short of the state championship game.â€

Cole transferred to Bluefield from Graham prior to his junior season, assumed the quarterback role, and led the Beavers to an 13-0 record in 2007, including the school’s ninth state title.

“He’s a proven winner...we always knew he had a lot of ability,†Simon said. “What was nice about it is the state recognized it too and they definitely gave him the award that he deserves.â€

Finally, a Beaver is the state’s best. Call it a long overdue reward.

“I think there have been some great athletes here from 1959 to now and we’re happy he’s won it. We’re recognized as a team that has a quality ballplayer in the state and we’ve always had them,†Simon said. “That’s what makes this place special is the players take special pride in their performance and they give it everything they have had and that’s what makes it fortunate for me to be able to coach here.â€

The next step for Cole is Virginia Tech. Long a fan of the Hokies, Cole could have gone elsewhere on scholarship, but chose the walk-on route in Blacksburg. Simon feels like Cole will eventually get on the field, and Cole is ready to show what he can do.

“I’m anxious, I went up to pretty much all their spring practices and the spring game last Saturday,†Cole said. “Just watching practice and being around the players and coaches, I can’t wait to get up there, I’m pretty anxious.â€

Transferring from one rival school to another is never easy, and not just on him. Cole will remember his supporters when receiving the award today.

“They’ve all supported me, especially my family and coaches, transferring I got a lot of support from my parents because it definitely wasn’t easy to do,†Cole said.

“For them to be there and see me get this award, I’m grateful to have a great family and great coaches and an extended family at Bluefield High School.â€

In two seasons at Bluefield, Cole led the Beavers to the state title, and also won the state’s top football award. He knows what Bluefield High School has meant to him, and he won’t forget it.

“It’s something I think about a lot, every day I think about what Bluefield has meant to me and how great the last two years have been,†Cole said. “It’s just been a great move.â€

Brian Woodson is the sports editor for the Daily Telegraph. He can be contacted at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_122212228.html

Cole to become first Beaver to accept Kennedy Award today

Brian Woodson

The Bluefield Beavers have won nine state football championships, but had never had a player win the state’s most prestigious award.

Until now.

While Bluefield senior Will Cole was announced as the winner in December, he’ll finally be presented with the actual Kennedy Award hardware today during the West Virginia Sports Writers Association’s Victory Awards Dinner in Charleston.

“It’s really exciting,†Cole said. “Winning it was great, but actually getting to go up there and receive it, it’s a great feeling.â€

Even though several members of Cole’s family will be attendance, few will feel more pride in his accomplishment than Bluefield football coach Fred Simon.

“Whenever you have a player that represents your program with this honor and to be the first, you know it is an honor for me to be a part of it,†Simon said. “There have been a lot of fortunate things that have happened here for me.

“We’ve been fortunate to win some state championships, and we’ve been fortunate enough now to have a Kennedy Award winner so things are good right now...I’m very excited about it and very happy and proud to be going.â€

The Kennedy Award — named after deceased Wheeling native Harrison H. Kennedy — has been given annually — other than two years in the sixties — to the top high school football player in West Virginia since 1947.

It started with Hinton’s Darrell Patrick Shires, and has included such future college and professional stars as Robert Alexander, Curt Warner, Randy Moss, J.R. House and Quincy Wilson.

The closest player to Bluefield to win this award had been Joe Smithberger of Welch in 1963. Former Beavers’ star Yubrenal Isabelle — who played at the University of Virginia and spent time on the practice squad with the New England Patriots — was a runner-up for the award in 1996 to House, who put up prolific numbers as a quarterback at Nitro.

“(Isabelle) was a runner-up, and did a heck of a job running the ball and had great stats and was a heck of a defensive player,†Simon said. “He ended up winning the Huff Award, which is the best linebacker in the state, but he did not win the Kennedy Award and very easily could have.â€

No wonder Cole is humbled to be able to represent the Beaver Nation in what is the 61st year of the award.

“I feel real honored to win it because there have been a lot of great players here and to be the first one is a great feeling,†Cole said. “I feel real honored to be the first one.â€

His credentials are undeniable. He completed 203 of 345 passes (58.5 percent) for 3,022 yards and 33 touchdowns for the Beavers last season. He eclipsed the 300-yard mark in four of his final five games, and also ran for 182 more yards and added seven more scores.

Yet, Cole — who led Bluefield to a 7-5 record after an 0-3 start — was still shocked upon learning that he was the winner.

“I was a little surprised because there was a lot of competition for it,†said Cole, who also starred at safety, kicker and punter as a senior until a high ankle sprain limited him to offense from the eighth game on. “There was a lot of other great players in the state so I was a little surprised, but I felt like I had a pretty good season even though we came up two games short of the state championship game.â€

Cole transferred to Bluefield from Graham prior to his junior season, assumed the quarterback role, and led the Beavers to an 13-0 record in 2007, including the school’s ninth state title.

“He’s a proven winner...we always knew he had a lot of ability,†Simon said. “What was nice about it is the state recognized it too and they definitely gave him the award that he deserves.â€

Finally, a Beaver is the state’s best. Call it a long overdue reward.

“I think there have been some great athletes here from 1959 to now and we’re happy he’s won it. We’re recognized as a team that has a quality ballplayer in the state and we’ve always had them,†Simon said. “That’s what makes this place special is the players take special pride in their performance and they give it everything they have had and that’s what makes it fortunate for me to be able to coach here.â€

The next step for Cole is Virginia Tech. Long a fan of the Hokies, Cole could have gone elsewhere on scholarship, but chose the walk-on route in Blacksburg. Simon feels like Cole will eventually get on the field, and Cole is ready to show what he can do.

“I’m anxious, I went up to pretty much all their spring practices and the spring game last Saturday,†Cole said. “Just watching practice and being around the players and coaches, I can’t wait to get up there, I’m pretty anxious.â€

Transferring from one rival school to another is never easy, and not just on him. Cole will remember his supporters when receiving the award today.

“They’ve all supported me, especially my family and coaches, transferring I got a lot of support from my parents because it definitely wasn’t easy to do,†Cole said.

“For them to be there and see me get this award, I’m grateful to have a great family and great coaches and an extended family at Bluefield High School.â€

In two seasons at Bluefield, Cole led the Beavers to the state title, and also won the state’s top football award. He knows what Bluefield High School has meant to him, and he won’t forget it.

“It’s something I think about a lot, every day I think about what Bluefield has meant to me and how great the last two years have been,†Cole said. “It’s just been a great move.â€

Brian Woodson is the sports editor for the Daily Telegraph. He can be contacted at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

I hope Doug got pissed off when he read that this morning. Congrats Cole.....