Update on ACC rules changes: Home and home jerseys?

May not turn out to be a big deal, but interesting.

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. -- Here's a fun note for you from Doug Rhoads, the ACC's coordinator of officials.

Teams no longer have to wear their white uniforms in games, as long as both teams agree to it, in writing, before the game.

So if Maryland wants to wear red uniforms at North Carolina, and the Tar Heels want to wear navy blue, it's OK, as long as they both agree to it. This took off after both Southern Cal and UCLA decided to wear their colored jerseys against each other.

The whole reason teams had to wear white and colored uniforms was because of the old black and white TVs.

Another rule change for 2009 will be the definition of the tackle box. It's now 5 yards from the center of the offensive line formation. This will help both the referee and the quarterback determine whether it's OK for the quarterback to throw the ball away or if it's intentional grounding.

They've also added that it's a 15-yard penalty if a player is tackled by his chinstrap. (I've seen the facemask tackle, but never the chinstrap. Neither has Rhoads.) Basically, defenders can't tackle opponents by grabbing the inside of their helmet opening.

One other tweak to the rules is that it's not an illegal formation to have less than seven players on the line. The thinking is, why penalize a team for being at a disadvantage? As long as there are five players with jersey numbers 50-70 (you know, the offensive linemen), it's acceptable. They'd like to see seven on the line of scrimmage and four in the backfield.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc/0-6-53/Update-on-ACC-rules-changes--Home-and-home-jerseys-.html

Edited by blueinbama

What I want to know is HOW can the ACC change a rule from the NCAA's rule...7 players on the line of scrimmage. That is a FUNDAMENTAL rule at all levels of football and could very possibly come back to bite an ACC team in the arse in a non-conference game...

Don't know if its going to look like a JV game...beginning to sound more like an arena league game...now if they'd just allow forward motion behind the line of scrimmage...

May not turn out to be a big deal, but interesting.

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. -- Here's a fun note for you from Doug Rhoads, the ACC's coordinator of officials.

Teams no longer have to wear their white uniforms in games, as long as both teams agree to it, in writing, before the game.

So if Maryland wants to wear red uniforms at North Carolina, and the Tar Heels want to wear navy blue, it's OK, as long as they both agree to it. This took off after both Southern Cal and UCLA decided to wear their colored jerseys against each other.

The whole reason teams had to wear white and colored uniforms was because of the old black and white TVs.

Another rule change for 2009 will be the definition of the tackle box. It's now 5 yards from the center of the offensive line formation. This will help both the referee and the quarterback determine whether it's OK for the quarterback to throw the ball away or if it's intentional grounding.

They've also added that it's a 15-yard penalty if a player is tackled by his chinstrap. (I've seen the facemask tackle, but never the chinstrap. Neither has Rhoads.) Basically, defenders can't tackle opponents by grabbing the inside of their helmet opening.

One other tweak to the rules is that it's not an illegal formation to have less than seven players on the line. The thinking is, why penalize a team for being at a disadvantage? As long as there are five players with jersey numbers 50-70 (you know, the offensive linemen), it's acceptable. They'd like to see seven on the line of scrimmage and four in the backfield.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc/0-6-53/Update-on-ACC-rules-changes--Home-and-home-jerseys-.html

the very last rule is one of the reasons tazewell lost the region game against richlands.

What I want to know is HOW can the ACC change a rule from the NCAA's rule...7 players on the line of scrimmage. That is a FUNDAMENTAL rule at all levels of football and could very possibly come back to bite an ACC team in the arse in a non-conference game...

Don't know if its going to look like a JV game...beginning to sound more like an arena league game...now if they'd just allow forward motion behind the line of scrimmage...

It is an NCAA Rule..

Edited by dawgs86

What is???

All of those rules are NCAA changes.. i thought someone said it was just a ACC for formations.. its not just ACC, they talked about all of those at a rules clinic I went to..

All of those rules are NCAA changes.. i thought someone said it was just a ACC for formations.. its not just ACC, they talked about all of those at a rules clinic I went to..

Gotcha! Although every article I've seen on this has called it "ACC rules changes"...that's why I was confused. That, and the fact I had not seen any changes to the NCAA rules anywhere else...

Gotcha! Although every article I've seen on this has called it "ACC rules changes"...that's why I was confused. That, and the fact I had not seen any changes to the NCAA rules anywhere else...

They havent officially came out yet.. Probably be out in June or so..

I think the SEC adopted the uniform deal for this year also, as long as both teams are in agreement and dont wear "like" colors. Pete Carroll did it last year with USC and he was only penalized by having a time-out taken away. College football is great, I hope they dont start messing with it and turn it into the NFL.

Should a team be penalized for having only 10 men on the field? That's where the 6 men on the LOS argument comes into play. Should it be the same penalty as having 12 men on the field? If your team has only 10 men on the field, and one of the linemen is missing and all the other players are in place, should that be a penalty? I see the reasoning behind this, I'm just not sure how I feel about it. After all, if you have 10 men instead of 11 on the field, you're at a disadvantage already, so why should you be penalized for it? It does constitute an illegal formation with only 6 men on the line of scrimmage, but it doesn't give you an advantage over the other team.