Mac or PC?

title says it all but i need a laptop for college, cost isn't an issue because i've got it figured out that i'm gonna be spending about the same amount either way so leaving money out of it someone convince me on which one i should get.

for college i'd just get a PC laptop because most of the software out there and programs you run in to and even some hardware is not always going to be Mac friendly...just makes it easier to write a paper in MLA format or whatever using MS Word or whatever...there are Mac versions but they are always a bit odd to me.

if you are going in to music production or film or something like that or graphics design...then go with a Mac as you will find that is what most pro level stuff is geared towards...otherwise PC is more universal at this point.

I've never owned a Mac but if money didn't matter I would. You won't find a pro photographer (or any creative type) using a PC unless it's all he can afford. Mac has a solid reputation for just being better for that type of thing.

99% of everything I do involves pictures and software like Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, etc., and Windows makes it a pain most of the time. But I don't spend a lot of time using Word, Excel, etc., that you will probably need for school and I don't know how good Macs are for that. So I think it depends on what you want to use it for.

for college i'd just get a PC laptop because most of the software out there and programs you run in to and even some hardware is not always going to be Mac friendly...just makes it easier to write a paper in MLA format or whatever using MS Word or whatever...there are Mac versions but they are always a bit odd to me.

if you are going in to music production or film or something like that or graphics design...then go with a Mac as you will find that is what most pro level stuff is geared towards...otherwise PC is more universal at this point.

well you realize you can run windows on a mac right?

well you realize you can run windows on a mac right?

yeah...I have not been that impressed with doing so though.

Just depends on what you want to do...i have both and i don't use the Mac for much at this point as far as school goes.

bluenado why should i get a mac over a pc? Lance is the only one who has really given an answer i can go off of.. well BigD too but i don't do photography. Try to give me a few reasons of why you like it?

also the PC i'm leaning towards is one like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147925

The Mac i would buy is of course the regular white one

I just like macs for their reliability. I have had one for the past four years and have not had any trouble and all my friends pc's seem to always be messed up. I also think the interface is a lot easier especially once you get used to it. And as far as compatibility with your professors and everyone else I have not had trouble. I have Microsoft Office 2008 for my mac and it is the newest Office out as far as I know. And if you don't like Safari as a web browser there is always Firefox which is pretty good. Everyone else in my family got one after me and none of us have ever had viruses. A few have had battery trouble but the warranty on the batteries is pretty long. And like you said, you can put windows on a mac but then it technically isn't a mac anymore haha.

What software are you going to run? Are you going to play games? DVD's? I have a laptop with that same processor and it struggles a little at times. But again, unless you're planning to run demanding software it will be more than enough.

Like Lance said, Macs are geared more towards creative professionals (Macbook Pro) and people who are very into photography, video, and graphics (Macbook)

I like the way the PC works, but the Mac interface is pretty neat. And since I'm too lazy to buy and/or figure out a Mac, I just go with the next best thing. I downloaded RocketDock, a Mac-like toolbar that works as such. Download the toolbar, hide your desktop icons, and just like that your computer looks like a Mac.

What software are you going to run? Are you going to play games? DVD's? I have a laptop with that same processor and it struggles a little at times. But again, unless you're planning to run demanding software it will be more than enough.

Like Lance said, Macs are geared more towards creative professionals (Macbook Pro) and people who are very into photography, video, and graphics (Macbook)

well they recently upgraded the processor to 2.13 (from 2.0) on the macbook, but i'll just be doing simple stuff downloading, surfing, watching movies. also i just customized a laptop on hp.com it is a dv3t series here are the specs this is for less than 900 with my student discount so i'm leaning towards buying this. anyone reccomend on getting anything else?

Components

• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

• Intel® Core2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0GHz)

• FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

• FREE Upgrade to 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

• 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G 105M

• 13.3" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Infinity Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

• LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

• [For BrightView Infinity Display] Webcam + Fingerprint Reader

• Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth

• No Included Mobile Broadband

• HP Color Matching Keyboard

• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

• Microsoft® Works 9.0

Accessories

• Targus Notebook Chill Mat

Printers

If you get a PC, you will spend more money on repairs in 2ish years than you will on the computer in the first place. Get a mac. I've had mine for 4 years now and it's still going strong. I've had no problems with compatability over my 4 years here at Tech and would highly recommend spending the extra money on a computer that you can rely on.