How to schedule for success in college football...Go Gators!!!

GMan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

Wow that is unreal!

I know Syracuse usually does the same thing in basketball. The first half of the season they are either playing in the Carrier Dome or somewhere in the state of NY.

"The [Florida] Gators have not played a regular-season, nonconference game outside the Sunshine State since 1991"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=4245068

BTW...the Gators lost that game at Syracuse 38-21...

This coming from a fan of a school who routinely schedules the cupcakes of the cupcakes, save the powerful but very seldom SEC team that ends all the "national title" talk. Now Florida's bad and I'll agree with that, but this is like the lame laughing at the blind.

This coming from a fan of a school who routinely schedules the cupcakes of the cupcakes

Well, VT tried to quit scheduling UVA but the ACC put us both in the same division and forces us to put the 'hoos on the schedule...there will be kids going to school for the first time next year that don't know a world where UVA has beaten VT in football...

This coming from a fan of a school who routinely schedules the cupcakes of the cupcakes, save the powerful but very seldom SEC team that ends all the "national title" talk. Now Florida's bad and I'll agree with that, but this is like the lame laughing at the blind.

I forgot how good the Middle Tenn. States, Wyomings, and Temples of the world are that UVA has played.

Please point out to me where the UVA OOC schedule is better in the last ten years than Virginia Techs'..............

UVA did play USC but I won`t argue they have played a tougher OOC schedule.

So has Virginia Tech in D.C. in 2004 when USC was at the start of their second national title in as many years. Not to mention a home and home with LSU, Texas A&M, Nebraska last year and this year. Alabama this season. Marshall teams with Ahmad Bradshaw and Byron Leftwich.

Let's be honest, when you play in a conference as good as the SEC you don't have to have a real tough O.O.C. schedule. As a college football fan, I would like to see Florida matchup with USC, Texas, etc. in the regular season from time-to-time though.

I forgot how good the Middle Tenn. States, Wyomings, and Temples of the world are that UVA has played.

Please point out to me where the UVA OOC schedule is better in the last ten years than Virginia Techs'..............

If you insist.

Well, when Virginia plays Bill+Mary to open our slate, it'll make just the second I-AA school that Virginia has played in the past 5 years. Virginia played Richmond last year, who finished the season ranked #4 in the FCS, partly due to the fact that our ex-OC is now their head coach.

Here's Virginia OOC for the last 7 years, or since I started following them VERY closely.

1. William and Mary (respectable FCS school, have been near the top in recent memory)

2. TCU (arguable in the Top 3 in the non-BCS school category over the past several years)

3. Southern Mississippi (decent team with some history in C-USA)

4. Indiana (the worst Big X school, but a BCS school nonetheless)

1. USC. Pac-10, finished 12-1, Rose Bowl champs. Obvious.

2. Richmond. Finished #4 in the FCS, ex-OC Mike London coached there.

3. Connecticut. Big East, finished 7-5 in the regular season.

4. East Carolina. C-USA, finished 9-3, laughably nailed the Hokies but not the Hoos.

1. Wyoming. Finished 5-7 after 4 straight losses to end the season.

2. Pittsburgh. Another Big East team, this one a winning squad which we beat by 30.

3. Middle Tennessee State. Unbeknownst to casual fans, actually a D-IA school with a winning record.

4. Connecticut. Undefeated until UVA toppled them. Led the Big East until LATE in the year...

1. Pittsburgh. A team which had stars like Darelle Revis, one of the best in the Big East that year.

2. Wyoming. Had a winning record in the Mountain West in 2006, UVA edged them here.

3. Western Michigan. Winning record, strong competitor in the MAC that year.

4. East Carolina. First half of the home-and-home, Virginia lost this tussle.

1. Western Michigan. Did have a losing record in this season, UVA took care at home.

2. Syracuse. Right when the Orange started their long slide. Not a strong team, but a BCS team.

3. Temple. Not a strong school, disappointing to have scheduled them. But they are I-A

1. Temple. Not a great team, again. But a I-A school.

2. Akron. Many people forget, they finished 6-5 and had Charlie Frye that year.

3. Syracuse. The last year before they REALLY stunk. But a Big East squad.

1. South Carolina. SEC school in Lou Holtz's last year. Solid team.

2. Western Michigan. MAC foe, but still I-A.

3. Troy. A better-than-advertised I-A school out of the Sun Belt.

Now, let's examine VT's OOC schedule, shall we?

1. Alabama. You'll probably lose your NC hopes here, but a respectable effort.

2. Marshall. Been crappy since Pruett left.

3. Nebraska. Big name, been pretty pitiful lately. Didn't they give up 70 to Kansas recently?

4. ECU. Losing a TON of people this year.

1. ECU. Losing to the same team UVA beat? Really? Nah, couldn't be, right?!

2. Furman. TERRIBLE opponent. Weaker than ANY UVA's scheduled in recent years.

3. Nebraska. Again, big name, not very good recently.

4. Western Kentucky. At least pick GOOD I-A schools when you do go out on the limb.

1. ECU. Again, before they got really good. But respectable, still.

2. LSU. Actually went out on a limb to schedule this delightful game.

3. Ohio. CRAPPY team, but I-A

4. William and Mary. Another I-AA school.

1. Northeastern. Pathetic.

2. Cincinnati. Way to beat on Big East schools when they're down...

3. Southern Miss. Back when they were good, credit where credit's due.

4. Kent State. LOL, terrible.

1. Ohio. See above comment.

2. West Virginia. Why hasn't this rivalry come back? Nothing to do with the fact that WVU is better?!

3. Marshall. See above comment.

1. USC. Well, you schedule a solid team every 3 years, keep it up.

2. Western Michigan. Stop the presses, the same team UVA scheduled?

3. Florida A&M. Pathetic.

1. UCF. Actually a decent school.

2. JMU. The year before they were better than a crappy I-AA school.

3. Texas A&M. Big XII school, can't complain.

Point #1

Total of I-AA schools for UVA: 2

Total of I-AA schools for VT: 5

Point #2

UVA and VT share a few common OOC opponents. ECU, WMU, Southern Mississippi, and USC to name a few. However, while VT schedules pitiful OOC opponents like Ohio/Marshall (and they have BLOWN since Pruett left, I remind you)/Kent State, UVA plays teams like Pittsburgh, TCU, and Connecticut. Also, VT likes to schedule big named schools that are down (Cincinnati, Nebraska), while UVA finds the hard unsung teams like a Middle Tennesee State and Akron.

Point #3

UVA's OOC schedule was ranked #1 most difficult by RPI in 2008. Yes indeed.

And it's the best numerical indicator available. Outside writers like Mark Schlabach who said the same thing, only using intuition.

It's impossible to schedule a tougher OOC than this.

You're REALLY going to tell me that UVA's schedule is inferior to Tech's? You seem to be above that sort of bandwagon assumption, my friend. They're obviously not even remotely comparative in difficulty on their faces. It's an absurd comparison. And deep down, true Tech fans know this. Just because it's slightly negative toward Vippie Sue doesn't mean its untrue. I see why the WVU fans here get so sick of the homerism...

Edited by UVAObserver

Tech played USC in 04.. and had a chance to win. If that is any consolation...

Just like being up by 1 point at the end of the 3rd quarter in the '99-'00 title game doesn't ensure a win, "had a chance to win" the USC game in '04 means little more if you don't win than the fact you scheduled a hard OOC opponent for the first time in umpteen years. See my post above.

And UVA's done the same.

Well it who cares about the schedules. Virgina Tech has been the superior team for a while now so it doesnt matter about out of conference games when UVA and Va Tech play each other during the year. Wow UVA might play a tougher schedule. But it doesn't help when they still get beat by Virginia Tech. GO HOKIES!!!

actually richmond won the national championship last year observer...they didn't finish number 4

not trying to boost uva because i hate everything about that school and town, but just trying to gain some respect for my boys at ur

Edited by bluenado5

Just like being up by 1 point at the end of the 3rd quarter in the '99-'00 title game doesn't ensure a win, "had a chance to win" the USC game in '04 means little more if you don't win than the fact you scheduled a hard OOC opponent for the first time in umpteen years. See my post above.

And UVA's done the same.

I'm not making any arguments about the scheduling, I think both teams schedule weak on a regular basis. I'm just bitter that we lost another game we clearly had a shot at winning, much like the mentioned NC game. And Auburn. *sigh*

actually richmond won the national championship last year observer...they didn't finish number 4

not trying to boost uva because i hate everything about that school and town, but just trying to gain some respect for my boys at ur

I thought Richmond lost in the Semis last season. Thanks for the clarification.

Richmond held Virginia to 16 points, they just didn't score any. London's done a nice job there in a real short time, but UR was respectable even before he came.

Just on a separate note, why do you hate everything about the school and town? That's quite a bit harsh.

I'm sure you've thoroughly seen both to say that. Just wondering, as my reaction's the exact opposite.

Does this go beyond our rivalry, or do you just half-heartedly dislike it the way I dislike Blacksburg?

Edited by UVAObserver

Well it who cares about the schedules. Virgina Tech has been the superior team for a while now so it doesnt matter about out of conference games when UVA and Va Tech play each other during the year. Wow UVA might play a tougher schedule. But it doesn't help when they still get beat by Virginia Tech. GO HOKIES!!!

To the lay fan, it doesn't matter. To diehards, it matters quite a bit.

Of course, the bottom line is winning. But you can schedule 4 cupcakes and go 4-0 or schedule a respectable slate and go 2-2. You have more of the former in Blacksburg (2003, 2005, 2006, 2008) than the latter (2004, 2007, 2009). This isn't going back before there, where a I-AA team on the schedule was almost an ironclad lock. And it does matter to rock-ribbed fans, who want their wins to mean something.

Better to have and have lost than to never have at all... :D

Check-mate. :)

I know I'd rather make the CWS final and lose than not advance out of our pool!

Edited by UVAObserver

Check-mate. :)

I know I'd rather make the CWS final and lose than not advance out of our pool!

CWS? Was that a baseball reference in a VT football discussion? Oh, poor Hoo.. (jk)

More fans showed up for our Spring Football game this year than all of the home VT baseball games combined.. probably ever. I didn't know VT had a real baseball team until I heard a rumor that the club team beat them.

In all seriousness, kudos on your CWS appearance, rep the ACC.

But back to football, this year I'm pulling for the ACC top to bottom. I have done this subconsciously for a while, silently rooting on the Miami's and FSU's but this year I'm even rooting for UVA. There... I said it. *ducks tomatoes*. The ACC needs to earn some respect and from looking at all our OOC schedules, its just embarrassing. The ACC needs to knock off some big names and take care of the little ones to end this "Almost a Conference, Conference" talk. I work with a guy from Pac10 who dogs the ACC on a regular basis, so until we meet UVA at the end of the year.. win them all please.

Edited by deuceswild

CWS? Was that a baseball reference in a VT football discussion? Oh, poor Hoo.. (jk)

More fans showed up for our Spring Football game this year than all of the home VT baseball games combined.. probably ever. I didn't know VT had a real baseball team until I heard a rumor that the club team beat them.

In all seriousness, kudos on your CWS appearance, rep the ACC.

But back to football, this year I'm pulling for the ACC top to bottom. I have done this subconsciously for a while, silently rooting on the Miami's and FSU's but this year I'm even rooting for UVA. There... I said it. *ducks tomatoes*. The ACC needs to earn some respect and from looking at all our OOC schedules, its just embarrassing. The ACC needs to knock off some big names and take care of the little ones to end this "Almost a Conference, Conference" talk. I work with a guy from Pac10 who dogs the ACC on a regular basis, so until we meet UVA at the end of the year.. win them all please.

LOL, thanks. ;)

I think the ACC will be considerably up this season. I cannot see a team in the Coastal that will be worse talent-wise this year than they were last year. Of course, I have VT-GT-Miami-UNC as the power block on that side of the conference. I'd be a bit stunned if VT lost the Coastal, but those other three wouldn't completely floor me if we won. I think the Coastal could have 5 bowl-eligible teams. The Atlantic's WAY down this year. I see FSU as legitimate, then who else? I think NC State will give a good run at it, that's a team that's WAY under the radar.

TBH, this is VT's best shot at a NC since '99-'00. There's no shame in losing to Alabama, but if VT wins that, anything short of a NC appearance is a wasted opportunity, I think. I'm being serious when I say it, you guys have that expectation, at least in my eyes. Though, there's little that would give me more delight than ending VT's NC run in Charlottesville.

A part of me wants to see VT do good, I hate to say. ;) If for no other reason, football is your cup of tea. And as much as VT football fans want a NC, I wouldn't be sad to see them get it.

i just don't like it...i've always felt looked down upon when i'm around uva students...even my own family

That's disappointing to hear, and I do apologize if any UVA students/alumni have looked down on you personally.

Though, hating everything about Charlottesville and the school itself is probably one of the strongest reactions I've ever heard against the school. It just seems like there'd be much more of a reason, that's all.

and if you go by if's then Ohio almost beat VT a few years back. if Ohio could have done this or that it would have been completely different.

You mean when VT beat Ohio 28-7 in 2007???

Yeh, I guess you're right...Ohio did lead 7-0 early in the second quarter...

VT ended the game with 473 yards of total offense while holding Ohio to 114 yards, managing only 5 first downs for the whole game (one of which came on a penalty)...

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/stats/2007/20070915.html