Nothing better to do.

Blue_Crue

I don't bye the reasoning of not being familiar with the SOL's. It's more to it that that. Graham has to be the main focus because I don't see Tazewell or Richlands getting WV students. There wasn't a problem when McDowell Co. kids were going to Pocy.

I don't bye the reasoning of not being familiar with the SOL's. It's more to it that that. Graham has to be the main focus because I don't see Tazewell or Richlands getting WV students. There wasn't a problem when McDowell Co. kids were going to Pocy.

Nailed it!!!

Actually, Pocy had to "verbally" turn WV kids away during the last year or two if they were new enrollments. Those kids that were enrolled prior to that were allowed to continue.

I see whole heaps of problems with this policy. Say a kid moves to Bluefield, VA in 6th grade with family, parents divorce when the kid's in 10th grade, custodial parents moves to Bluefield, WV. Whoops, kid can't stay in VA schools.

Of course, it is Tazewell County's choice whether to accept or not.

But this policy isn't the most well-thought-out.

You know, I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this, but if the main concern of the Board was the SOL's then it has to be drawn down to the single issue of Accreditation. My limited knowledge on the SOL’s leads me to believe that they have little impact on the student until the junior or senior year. And lets chew on this thought for a moment: If a child has been home schooled for all of his/her primary years and the parents wish to enroll them in the public schools don’t they fall into the same area of “concern†for a lack of knowledge on SOL’s?

It seems that a lot of students are flopping back and forth for one reason or another at the border schools....Graham and Bluefield. I've heard that Princeton, Bluefield, Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands have had a kid do this whether they were an athlete or not. I'm sure some are because parents work there etc....

It can hurt a school accredidation wise if they take someone who is failing in WV and transfers to VA in order to play a sport or avoid failing a grade and that person fails the SOL tests when they do count.

I think this is a step in the right direction. There are too many good schools in both Mercer / Tazewell counties for someone to fly to another county. If the parent wants to pay enough money to pay for their child's education that otherwise would be paid by a taxpayer of that county, and the school approves the addition of the child based on test scores and attendance record, then fine.

Maybe this is being done one way or another, but when you buy a home and start a family, don't you consider your school zone?

A person who owns property in one school district in the county, but doesn’t reside in the school district, also would not be considered a resident of the school district in question.

I hope they stick to this...Graham has lost some decent baseball players to Tazewell over the last few years...

Here is my take on SOL's...

My kid is somewhat of a dingbat...she is a fun loving, goofy kinda kid...a good kid but still somewhat of a dingbat...not a straight "A" student or anything like that.

She scored perfect on her SOL's.

If she can get perfect, then there is no reason why any kid should struggle with these stupid tests.

As far as WV kids going to school in VA...I'm all for making them go to WV where they belong...they don't pay taxes in VA and all that sort of thing...they are from WV and have local schools that are close...why let them choose to go to VA schools? If you like the school system that much, move to VA.

A person who owns property in one school district in the county, but doesn’t reside in the school district, also would not be considered a resident of the school district in question.

I hope they stick to this...PART II...

They better make sure that the kids from Pocahontas that live in the GRAHAM school district down there go to GRAHAM as well instead of letting them "choose" to go to Tazewell...

June 12, 2009 05:37 pm

by WILSON BUTT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

After the canvassing of the ballots there was no change in the vote tally between David Woodard of Pocahontas and Spot Steel of Tip Top in the neck-and-neck race for the Northern District Democratic nomination for the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors. “The win was a surprise to me, I didn’t expect to win,” Woodard said.

Woodard also commented that the rumor floating around that the students attending the Abbs Valley-Bossevain Elementary School would not have the choice of attending either Graham Middle School or Tazewell Middle School is untrue. At the Tazewell County School Board meeting last Monday, Woodard posed a direct question to School Superintendent Brenda Lawson about the matter and asked if the students would be provided with transportation to the school of their choice. Lawson replied, “Yes sir.”

The rumor stems from the controversial residency policy that Lawson endorsed. Woodard was the only school board member that opposed the policy. Woodard said that, “the Code of Virginia defines residency and the school board should use those residency standards.”

As far as WV kids going to school in VA...I'm all for making them go to WV where they belong...they don't pay taxes in VA and all that sort of thing...they are from WV and have local schools that are close...why let them choose to go to VA schools? If you like the school system that much, move to VA.

I got flamed to high heaven 5 years ago for saying basically that this board.

Man, has this board really been around that long?

I got flamed to high heaven 5 years ago for saying basically that this board.

Man, has this board really been around that long?

longer actually...I think I got involved with trying to get Gman to evolve the swvafootball.com site in to swvasports.com around 2001 or so? I hated the old "threaded" message board, was impossible to keep up with everything...the new stuff has been much better and the current format is just great.

as for getting flamed for saying that...don't know why? and it sure wasn't from me...seems like common sense to me? I think the WV schools should send the VA kids back to VA as well....goes both ways.

June 12, 2009 05:37 pm

by WILSON BUTT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

After the canvassing of the ballots there was no change in the vote tally between David Woodard of Pocahontas and Spot Steel of Tip Top in the neck-and-neck race for the Northern District Democratic nomination for the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors. “The win was a surprise to me, I didn’t expect to win,” Woodard said.

Woodard also commented that the rumor floating around that the students attending the Abbs Valley-Bossevain Elementary School would not have the choice of attending either Graham Middle School or Tazewell Middle School is untrue. At the Tazewell County School Board meeting last Monday, Woodard posed a direct question to School Superintendent Brenda Lawson about the matter and asked if the students would be provided with transportation to the school of their choice. Lawson replied, “Yes sir.”

The rumor stems from the controversial residency policy that Lawson endorsed. Woodard was the only school board member that opposed the policy. Woodard said that, “the Code of Virginia defines residency and the school board should use those residency standards.”

Well, that proves it...this IS aimed directly at Graham...

I don't see how its legal to make one group play by one set of rules yet allow another group to play by another set of rules. They should either have the policy and follow it or drop it completely...I smell legal action brewing...

longer actually...I think I got involved with trying to get Gman to evolve the swvafootball.com site in to swvasports.com around 2001 or so? I hated the old "threaded" message board, was impossible to keep up with everything...the new stuff has been much better and the current format is just great.

as for getting flamed for saying that...don't know why? and it sure wasn't from me...seems like common sense to me? I think the WV schools should send the VA kids back to VA as well....goes both ways.

I recall being on there a little before the server switch, which was back in 2003. It may have even been a little bit before that. This format took some getting used to, but I'm much more fond of it, too. Still a little buggy with "new" messages when I've already read them all, but other than that, no complaints!

Nah, you weren't among them. Just the crowd that was on here at the time, I suppose. It seems like common sense to me, as well, especially having been to college and seeing for myself how much debt one can accrue having to pay out-of-state tuition.

Well, that proves it...this IS aimed directly at Graham...

I don't see how its legal to make one group play by one set of rules yet allow another group to play by another set of rules. They should either have the policy and follow it or drop it completely...I smell legal action brewing...

Potential legal action? You betcha. This even has fringe Constitutional implications, given that the basis of shutting kids out is residency. Smells like a good dormant commerce clause final exam question in Constitutional Law.

Actually following through with it? Some family's going to have to be ROYALLY po-ed.

It's going to take more money than it's worth to fight this. Especially if Tazewell County Public Schools sticks to its guns, and why wouldn't they?