(Wahoo) QB or Not QB

QB or Not QB that is the Question about UVA Football:

I keep hearing that the Hoos are looking to use Vic Hall and run the spread, but he is still listed as (SR) defensive player @ CB:

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88799&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=1133512&Q_SEASON=2009

* What happened to Jameel Sewell @ QB for the Hoos? I knew that he was not eligible last season (poor academics I think), but I thought he would be able to return this fall with one year of eligibility.

* Also curious about Hall's teammate from Gretna - Rico Reynolds... I thought he was the real deal @ tailback, and I remember him returning kicks his freshman season.

QB or Not QB that is the Question about UVA Football:

I keep hearing that the Hoos are looking to use Vic Hall and run the spread, but he is still listed as (SR) defensive player @ CB:

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88799&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=1133512&Q_SEASON=2009

* What happened to Jameel Sewell @ QB for the Hoos? I knew that he was not eligible last season (poor academics I think), but I thought he would be able to return this fall with one year of eligibility.

* Also curious about Hall's teammate from Gretna - Rico Reynolds... I thought he was the real deal @ tailback, and I remember him returning kicks his freshman season.

You are correct that Vic Hall is going to be a QB in Gregg Brandon's spread offense this year; word is out of spring practices that were the season to start today, he'd be under center. I'm unsure if your link is current, or they may not have updated it yet. Always a possibility.

Jameel Sewell was gone last year because he flunked out, pretty much. The administration gave him the boot in January 2008, and Jameel started taking classes at Piedmont Virginia Community College. In one of the best, most heartwarming stories of determination I've ever seen, he worked through it, got a GPA in the 3.5 range, and transferred back into UVA for the upcoming year. He was on grounds all the time working out at the gyms, paying out of his own pocket to use the machines to keep in shape. One good thing: Jameel didn't have a redshirt year; he started the last half of his true freshmen year. So his year away counts as a redshirt.

This is by far the deepest QB corps we've had at UVA since my freshman year there in 2003. Both have some faults: Vic hasn't played QB in 3 years, and Jameel's likewise been away for a year AND can't hit a pass longer than 15 yards downfield. And I hope they push each other in the fall to be the best they can be. I think Vic gives us the best chance to win, because Jameel can't stretch the field. But I've seen Jameel get out of fixes that leave me shaking my head. It's going to be an interesting fall on that front.

I'm not sure about Rico.

(Thanks for the Help UVAObserver) - that was some good information.

From what your are saying though, it sounds like their could be a situation of rotating QB's: I.E. (Hokies using Ty Taylor & Sean Glennon). I think this could turn into a cluster if that is the case, but the competition will definitely make Hall and Sewell better players.

(Thanks for the Help UVAObserver) - that was some good information.

From what your are saying though, it sounds like their could be a situation of rotating QB's: I.E. (Hokies using Ty Taylor & Sean Glennon). I think this could turn into a cluster if that is the case, but the competition will definitely make Hall and Sewell better players.

NP.

I think there probably will be some rotation in place, but I don't think it's wise to do so. Where Glennon was the pocket passer and Taylor was the scrambler, both Hall and Sewell are both scramblers, Hall being more athletic and Sewell having more experience. I agree, knowing my football program, it'll turn into a cluster unless Brandon gets the keys to the offense instead of Al having oversight.

Uva started Marc Verica last year. Is he not in the running for the starting QB job?

Verica's back to 3rd-string right now. Redshirt freshman Riko Smalls is 4th, but I don't anticipate having to use him for quite some time.

Verica's the rare QB that completes every pass he throws, either to Virginia or his opponents. If I'm not mistaken, I think he led the ACC in completion percentage, something like 72%. Also, I'm almost certain he led the ACC in INTs, somewhere in the neighborhood of 17.

I commend him for the job he did last year, but he's got some gaping flaws that don't allow him to be starting caliber.