Va Tech offense

The highest ranking of the Hokies offense over the past several years has been 99th in the country. With that point made we still have enjoyed recent success making bowl games and playing competitively in big bowl games and against teams like Southern Cal.I have a couple of points to make:

Quarterback play has not been very good especially in big games-usually our best performance has been to have the quarterback not lose the game,which would have been ok in some recent games.

2005 sugar bowl lost to Auburn 16-13 defense played pretty good but offense gave the game away.

2006 chick fil a bowl Georgia 31 Va Tech 24 - Tech led 21-3 at half but turnovers led to Georgia comeback not Techs defense

2008 Orange bowl Kansas 24 Va Tech 21 turnovers led to 17 Jayhawk points

Major points and lessons = if your offense is not great and conservative and your defense is why do the quarterbacks continually take chances when they dont have to? Conservative offenses cannot turn the ball over.Somebody has got to train the quarterbacks better if TecH goes to next level.

Tech outlook

We have currently some great players in the system-should we let the athleticism take over or also teach them how to properly play at key points in the game.Sean Glennon played great at times but took chances when he did not have to-he was not patient enough-throw the ball away sometimes-dont take a sack or throw into a turnover.Tyrod towards the end of last year started to make those wise decisions.And please Tyrod get 10-20 yards and get out of bounds.

Running backs in system

Darren Evans redshirt sophomore

Ryan Williams redshirt freshman

Josh Oglesby redshirt sophomore

Tony Gregory freshman

Kenny Lewis

David Wilson freshman

With these running backs, Evans is a steady pounder and will break a 30 or 40 yarder at times,Williams a Homerun hitter, and Wilson a combo of both,and with Tyrod back there,we should be able to score some points,unless we turn the ball over or make bad decisions in big games.I would love to see a Power I with Tyrod,Evans,Williams and Boone in backfield in red Zone.:eek:

Stinespring might be useless. But he does just enough to win 10 games a year and beat UVA.

Let me correct you...Stinespring IS useless and Bud's defense does enough to win 10 games a year and beat UVA...

Exactly! Foster is the most underrated college assistant in the country.

But as great as Foster is, he masks the true weakness of your squad: Stinespring.

As long as VT has an incompetent OC, VT's national title journey will always be the story of Sisyphus incarnate. Which is fine and dandy by your northern brethren.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

You are missing one CRITICAL point...we still have Stinespring running the O...

VT had what.....7 players go in the NFL draft a couple years ago? I know some were Foster's defensive guys, but there were a couple three on the O side. It blows my mind that Bud still has to carry the team witht he D. I agree that VT has a great chance with the schedule they have if they can get by a rebuilding BAMA squad early on. The big question is the offense. If the defense carries the team this year, Bud could be set up for a HC position elsewhere unless he's holding out for Beamer to retire. Ahhhhhhh football is in the air!

But as great as Foster is, he masks the true weakness of your squad: Stinespring.

As long as VT has an incompetent OC, VT's national title journey will always be the story of Sisyphus incarnate. Which is fine and dandy by your northern brethren.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

Exactly. I was agreeing on both points of the statement; Stinespring is uselsee and Foster's defenses have bailed out Tech time and time again over the past 5-7 years.

When, if ever, will Stinespring be fired? How low will the Tech offense have to sink before they would consider letting Stiney go? How much say does Beamer have in keeping Stiney? And at what point would you have to start thinking maybe Beamer should go if he can't get Stiney and the offense going?

It's a new season, fellas. Give Stiney a chance. He's got a more experienced line to work with now, another weakness of ours over the past couple of years. It's tough for an offense to develop if: A.) the quarterback doesn't have time to throw the ball and B.) the running back is running straight into the defense without any help from the guys blocking for him. Yeah, sounds simple. But the line dictates the success of the offense more than we give credit for.

Don't get me wrong. If we come out against Alabama with some terrible play calling, I will be the first to criticize Stinespring. But until then, it's only speculation that Stiney will screw us over again.

It's a new season, fellas. Give Stiney a chance. He's got a more experienced line to work with now, another weakness of ours over the past couple of years. It's tough for an offense to develop if: A.) the quarterback doesn't have time to throw the ball and B.) the running back is running straight into the defense without any help from the guys blocking for him. Yeah, sounds simple. But the line dictates the success of the offense more than we give credit for.

Don't get me wrong. If we come out against Alabama with some terrible play calling, I will be the first to criticize Stinespring. But until then, it's only speculation that Stiney will screw us over again.

I'll remind you of this post when Stiney's O finishes 90+ again this season with a more experienced line...

Stinespring got the OC job at the end of the '01 regular season...the team averaged 32.64 pts/game during the regular season and only mustered 17 in their bowl game vs. FSU. The offense finished ranked #64 that season.

His "best" offense was in '03 when it finished #38.

Here is how the O has finished since 2001:

2001...#64

2002...#64

2003...#38

2004...#65

2005...#57

2006...#99

2007...#100

2008...#103

Bud's D's worst finish during this same time period was #51, ironically during the '03 season, Stiney's O's best year.

Here is how Bud's D has finished since 2001:

2001...#2

2002...#32

2003...#51

2004...#4

2005...#1

2006...#1

2007...#4

2008...#7

VT's worst record during this period was 8-5 in...yep, you guessed it...2003.

It doesn't take a genius to see where the problem is...

Yeah, i knew they hadn't been real good, but I didn't realize it had been quite that bad either. I'm not a VT fan at all, but it is frustrating to watch them offensively, esp. during the Eddie Royal years.

Stiney has always sucked and until he proves otherwise I'll continue to think he needs to be fired or demoted.

I am starting to wonder if Stiney has comprimising pictures of Coach Beamer. I understand loyalty is a Beamer trait and an honorable one at that, however, people need to be held accountable for their performance.