Any members of the 1989 GHS State Championship Team here?

Kingbean

Heck of a high school football team. My boy from Giles ran all over them in the first round that year...like 200+ yards and a couple long ones called back. But that's about all Giles had and Graham had a better "TEAM"...I enjoyed watching that Graham team play even though they beat my boys Giles

Heck of a high school football team. My boy from Giles ran all over them in the first round that year...like 200+ yards and a couple long ones called back. But that's about all Giles had and Graham had a better "TEAM"...I enjoyed watching that Graham team play even though they beat my boys Giles

That was a very difficult game. I only remember one long one called back and I remember Giles enjoying a very successful first half but we shut them down in the 2nd half defensively and controlled both lines of scrimmage.

Of the 4 games that we played in the State Championships, both of our games against Region IV opponents (Giles and Radford) were tougher than the semi and finals against Rustburg and Southhamption.

What's up man? I'm on TSL and work here in Bluefield, VA....in the Industrial Park. GHS '83 and played baseball.

I know who you are...you're the legend of GHS baseball.

I'm back on TSL (free board). I will respond to you sometime and let you know who I am.

Is there any type of reunion planned for that 89 team? I saw the 86 Dawg team was inducted into their school's hof.

I heard from our QB (#1) that something is planned for this year as far as a reunion. However, I coach girls travel soccer here inthe Midwest and don't have a free weekend starting next week through the first of November

Im positive giles had 2 long runs called back but as I said Graham had the better TEAM...the running back was a heck of a football player but just didn't have the help that the Graham team had. Graham was a very good football team that year....a great defensive team but the Giles RB shredded them all day long. Just not enough help and the better team won the game

absolutetly 2 long ones called back - I was on defense, and I can remember tackleing someone up the middle, and he didn't have the ball. It seemed like everytime he touched the ball (in the first quarter) Giles was scoring. I also agree w/ #2, the games vs. giles and radford were much tougher than the ones vs. rustburg and southhampton.

Yep, Giles had two long ones called back and had almost all of their 200 yards in the first quarter...it was 20-6 after the first five plays Giles touched the ball (with two of them being called back). After that, it was all down hill for the Spartans...38-20...

I agree with you GMan after the first couple series it was ballgame. Graham definately had the better team and proved it on the field but my boy could well have been the best player on the field that day. But teams always beat single players.

Best player on the field? GHS had a guy that had 132 yard receiving that day on 4 catches, a TD and an INT. Dude was the slowest WR in VA HS history....

Don't think the score was ever 20-6, G-Men pretty much matched each Giles score with one of their own. Also, no reunion for 89 GMen, I just heard it was called off.

Thanks for the info on the reunion. I don't think that I could have made it with my daughter's athletic schedule but it would have been nice to see some old faces

Best player on the field? GHS had a guy that had 132 yard receiving that day on 4 catches, a TD and an INT. Dude was the slowest WR in VA HS history....

Come on dude my boy from Giles had over 200 yards rushing against one if not the best run defense i've ever saw in "AA" or "A" in the state of Virginia ever....and if those 2 wouldn't have been called back easily over 300 yards...

Does anyone know how many yards rushing Graham gave up that year total in the 10 regular season games? I know it wasn't alot. I heard somewhere that they didn't give up 100 yards rushing total in 10 games....that's hard to believe but if true just that much more special what my boy did that afternoon

Guest JJBrickface
Come on dude my boy from Giles had over 200 yards rushing against one if not the best run defense i've ever saw in "AA" or "A" in the state of Virginia ever....and if those 2 wouldn't have been called back easily over 300 yards...

Does anyone know how many yards rushing Graham gave up that year total in the 10 regular season games? I know it wasn't alot. I heard somewhere that they didn't give up 100 yards rushing total in 10 games....that's hard to believe but if true just that much more special what my boy did that afternoon

My son can beat up your son.

I agree with you GMan after the first couple series it was ballgame. Graham definately had the better team and proved it on the field but my boy could well have been the best player on the field that day. But teams always beat single players.

i know one thing for sure that year,and thats salems eric goodpasture gave the G-Men fits in their game.he was the first player to put points on Grahams defense that year.but it was sweet to see Graham end their season the way they started it with a shutout.id love to see another team like that before i depart this world.

i know one thing for sure that year,and thats salems eric goodpasture gave the G-Men fits in their game.he was the first player to put points on Grahams defense that year.but it was sweet to see Graham end their season the way they started it with a shutout.id love to see another team like that before i depart this world.

We faced some really good RBs that season...Trussell from Blacksburg, Goodpasture, the kid from Radford and the kid from Giles.

I know who you are...you're the legend of GHS baseball.

Yep, and I'm proud to say I shared the middle of the infield with him my sophomore year after an untimely injury to our starting 2nd baseman...

LOL!!!! :D

Your dad stopped by my office two weeks ago...it was good seeing him. I hadn't seen him or your mom in a long time. Hoping to get together with them this fall at a VT game.

We faced some really good RBs that season...Trussell from Blacksburg, Goodpasture, the kid from Radford and the kid from Giles.

Trussell carried Blacksburg to the D-4 title that season...I think he averaged well over 200 yds/game in the playoffs...

Eaves had two long runs called back, but scored on equally long runs immediately after each run, so his yardage may not have been much more than what it was, it was not like the runs were called back and then Giles didn't score. The Gmen answered each score with a score of their own, one on a long drive another on a long pass to either TP or Kingbean (I know it is you sticky fingers). I personally think the qb from Salem was the best player we faced that year, can't spell his name but he is coach there now. Guy was a hoss, could run, throw, and flat out bring it on "d", if he doesn't break his neck, I don't think Indians beat them in playoffs. I agree about us facing lots of good backs that year, dude from Radford was a man also,and don't forget the big back from South Hampton who had pretty much carried his team all year.