BIG EAST bowl / possible expansion

Don't think there is any way in the world that Maryland would leave the ACC. BC, I don't know, depends on how there revenue is. They've been succesful in the ACC, but being as geographically removed from the rest of the conference as they are, I don't know how they are doing financially.

Money is the most important thing to schools anymore and they'll stay where they will make the most money. The ACC pays far better to their schools than the Big East pays their schools. Maryland and B.C. won't leave the Big East. The Big East might as well ask Temple back.

Oh, I agree money is definitely the deciding factor. I just didn't know how BC was doing financially after the move. I knew the ACC pays better to the schools than the BE, but I didn't know if all the added travel and stuff for BC was draining the difference at all.

I say send BC back to the Big East...they DO NOT fit in the ACC. Invite ECU to take their place...although the Big Four (UNC, NC St., Duke, WFU) would never let that happen...

Guest JJBrickface

It would be interesting to know how much Boston College has made since they left for the ACC.

Trust me, Maryland and BC aren't going to the Big East. Especially Boston College, having just recently transferred. Maryland has it too good in the ACC, especially with basketball profits.

But, hypothetically, were BC to go back, ECU is probably the most natural fit into the ACC. And that school is pretty much the only one I can think about right now that would be a natural geographical fit. Unless Delaware were willing to make the leap to I-A, and that's likely not going to happen.

I say send BC back to the Big East...they DO NOT fit in the ACC. Invite ECU to take their place...although the Big Four (UNC, NC St., Duke, WFU) would never let that happen...

Tranlation: G-Man dosen't like the fact that VPI struggles with B.C. on the football field.

Tranlation: G-Man dosen't like the fact that VPI struggles with B.C. on the football field.

Please! The Hokies have beaten them when they needed to...in the ACC Championship games...that's all that matters.

Actually, what I don't like is the fact that the ACC made BC VT's "natural rival" from the Atlantic Division which means the Hokies will play them every year. Seriously, the only "rivalry" to it is the fact that both used to play in the Big East. I would much rather see any of the other Atlantic Division teams on the schedule every year.

Replacing BC with ECU in the ACC would be a perfect geographic fit and wouldn't change VT's schedule any since VT is signed to play ECU for the next nine seaons.

Besides, that would also give Jim Weaver another opening on the schedule to fill with D-1AA opponent, Northeast Southerwestern State Technical Bible College...

Guest JJBrickface

Boston College always has and always will be a terrible fit for the ACC.

While we're on this geographical fit kick, has anyone heard about possible future changes to the ACC Championship location? I get the whole "it's sunny in Florida" thing but they lose a lot of money when BC plays VT every year down there. Hokies will travel, BC fans... not so much.

They should move it to Charlotte or at least cycle it through the NFL stadiums within the ACC's reach and not just throw it in Florida every year. (Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, DC, Atlanta, etc.)

Maryland, BC dismiss report of Big East interest

August 6, 2009 11:25 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

Lenn Robbins of the New York Post reported on Wednesday that "two sources said the eight-team Big East would consider adding a ninth member by exploring whether there was interest on behalf of Maryland to jump from the ACC, and for Boston College to rejoin the league."

First of all, as Maryland athletic director Debbie Yow pointed out, there are no names associated with the statement. Yow said in an e-mail that no one from the Big East has contacted Maryland, nor does she expect to hear from anyone. It's a non-story, as far as Maryland's AD is concerned.

The same can be said for BC's athletic director.

It seems unlikely that Gene DeFilippo would be welcomed back with a hug and a smile after leaving the Big East for the ACC and angering some of his former colleagues during the process. Forget past history, though -- DeFilippo has no interest in going back, nor did he even hear about this until a reporter called him to ask about it.

"Nobody from the Big East contacted me," DeFilippo told ESPN.com. "As long as there is an Atlantic Coast Conference, BC will be in it."

A greater possibility of any restructuring would be after 2015, if the ACC would decide to realign the conference divisions. But as far as Maryland and BC joining the Big East? It's exactly what Yow said it is -- a non-story.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc

While we're on this geographical fit kick, has anyone heard about possible future changes to the ACC Championship location? I get the whole "it's sunny in Florida" thing but they lose a lot of money when BC plays VT every year down there. Hokies will travel, BC fans... not so much.

They should move it to Charlotte or at least cycle it through the NFL stadiums within the ACC's reach and not just throw it in Florida every year. (Charlotte, Tampa, Jacksonville, DC, Atlanta, etc.)

They are doing that already. Jax had it for a few years. Tampa has it for two years. Charlotte has it for 2010-11.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121207aaa.html

Edited by bhs7695

Money is the most important thing to schools anymore and they'll stay where they will make the most money. The ACC pays far better to their schools than the Big East pays their schools. Maryland and B.C. won't leave the Big East. The Big East might as well ask Temple back.

?