Richlands/Gate City updates

trublue

Richlands lost a game... IT HAPPENS!!! There are no trust issues and no one player deserves the blame. I really don't want to see Richlands fans pointing fingers over a 3 point loss to a good Gate City team (from the 1970's). Accept the loss and support the kids. Don't tear them down! They made mistakes but they will learn from them and be just fine.

Richlands will win the Southwest District again. I know some are blaming the loss on the Johnson kids but without them Richlands probably would not have scored. I could tell the Johnsons have not been hit in the mouth (Smash Mouth Football Style) all that much and will need to get used to it fast. Also with the size kids Richlands has they in my opinion would do so much better lining up in the I or T and pounding that ball as well. They could go into Multiple sets and still line up in the spread from time to time but I really beleave Richlands should go back to Smashmouth football. The Spread offense is not for Southwest Virginia teams and I will preach it untill the day I die. Southwest Virginia teams just dont have the athletes year after year to properly run the Spread.

Nah, the smash mouth days are over at Richlands. They start learning the spread in 8th grade and it's been very successful. They just didn't execute tonight.

That is sad. The Spread might help win the Southwest District and Region but teams on the other end of the state will over match a team from this end running the Spread. I guess it really doesnt matter but Richlands was very tough playing Smashmouth ball. I still think you guys would be better suited in a multiple O. The Johnsons would be scary running the Option also.

If you were there you would have seen what I was talking about intercepting the ball. They don't trust each other and b strong went up and snatched the ball from the johnson kid it was crazy they hit each other.

Wow, I can't believe that was posted. It's one thing to say the offensive line wasn't at their best, the backfield made errors .....but to post such nonsense in a public forum doesn't help any team.....especially, the team you're suppose to be supporting.

That is sad. The Spread might help win the Southwest District and Region but teams on the other end of the state will over match a team from this end running the Spread. I guess it really doesnt matter but Richlands was very tough playing Smashmouth ball. I still think you guys would be better suited in a multiple O. The Johnsons would be scary running the Option also.

Listen, no offense, but if Richlands ran what I saw last night I'd have to shoot myself. Richlands is a spread team. They've won a lot of games with it, including at the state level.

There is a lesson to be learned from the logic of this style, or should I say be reminded of.

Logic is, If we gain 3 to 4 yards per down without turnover, the football can be taken all the way into the endzone by making those 1st downs. Same can be done with the spread. To many times in the spread ya get caught up in trying to hit the home run everytime. Object should be get the 3 to 5 yards , make the 1st down, the long play will open up.

I think that happened last night to RHS. I think they wanted the home run and I was scared to death that they would eventually get it. I'm still shocked that they didn't try a field goal towards the end of the half.

I think that happened last night to RHS. I think they wanted the home run and I was scared to death that they would eventually get it. I'm still shocked that they didn't try a field goal towards the end of the half.

Im with you that is what i said during the game they just tried to hard to hit the home run but that will come overtime just need to complete the 5-6 yard passes has been said the coaches will get to work and we will have the kinks worked out by the time for the SWD.

. Richlands is a spread team. They've won a lot of games with it, including at the state level.

This should be the optimum year of any previous year for the spread at Richlands w/the speed they have in the Johnsons.

However, that being said you have to play "within one's current grasp" of the system until a comfort level and reasonable knowledge of its complexity has been reached. There is no reason the team shouldn't be performing at a high level once everyone understands their roles and what is expected of them by the coaches.I believe the coaches will rein in the impulsive natures and tell each player exactly what is required of them to be a success on this team. This is not the first rodeo for the Richlands' coaching staff.....and tweaking will be done....always has happened and probably always will.

I will have to say I was impressed w/Austin Johnson "begging" to get back on the field when he had a painful ankle that had him hobbling. You have to admire grit in a kid that has that much desire in wanting to help his team win...."suck up the pain and go".....even though that certainly might not always be the advisable thing to do....but you gotta admire the desire.

Edited by trublue

Guest lookoutmountain

Folks, I keep hearing all of this about the spread and Richlands offense, etc. Richlands has ran the spread for over 1/2 of a decade and they've won the region in a row countless times and won the state championship with it. The reason Richlands lost wasn't the spread, it was Gate City's offensive and defensive lines. That was the difference in the game. Everyone knew coming in Richlands had question marks not at the skill positions, but on the line due to the losses to graduation and inexperience among the starters. Relax everyone, it's one loss. The kids on the line are supertalented, yet very young and very raw. They will only get better and yes, Richlands will win the SWD and probably Region 4. Richlands is one year away from developing/maturing its kids on the line of scrimmage to where it has a very, very high chance of another state championship next season. Richlands will be loaded next year and the following year. This year, no different, another deep playoff run and with Mance, it will win Region 4. Richlands played against the best offensive line last night it will play for the first 12 games of the season. It will not play a better line until/if Richlands makes it to the state semi's which it likely will. Give Gate City some credit folks. Gate City is a good football team that caught a young Richlands team early in the season. Richlands will be a different team, and night and day different in 8 weeks.

Exactly. Wasn't this the first year this QB has ran the spread? I was thinking I read that somewhere. Both teams will get better. Our kids are young also, and win or lose last night both teams played hard. Richlands will be a very very good team this year. I'm as biased as they come, but as lookout said I'd like to think GC had something to do with it. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year. I have nothing but respect for the Richlands program.

Here is the kicker as well, GC's line and most of the team is also young so, this should be a heck of a game for next 3 years or so. I would like to also comment on both teams overall team speed which seemed to match each other pretty good. While most everybody was expecting a long play from Richlands, GC has a few fast players in the own right. I was most impressed how both team keep each other in check all night. Richlands has a very good program and this game will help both teams to see where they need to improve on. Turnover on both teams need to be improved. To both teams (a hardee GO BIG BLUE)

I think that it wasn't the quarterback who was at fault tonight it was the offensive line. They did not block for cody every play he was rolling he was the only kid who scored a touch down tonight. So if he wasn't there it would have been 10-0. I Seen Bradley Strong intercept a pass from one of the johnson kids so there is alot of stuff going on in richlands. The kids need to mesh before something good is going to happen. I think the offensive line done great blocking for the vance kid thats why he made two big plays. Its not about cody right now its about the whole team becoming a unit. And shame on mance for not noticing his line not blocking. The only reason I would have pulled Cody was to let him get a break from the punishment the line was letting him have. This kid is a good football player but if you got 8 guys rushing with no blocking it dosen't matter who he quarterback is they are going to get punished. I hope that these kids can get over all the stupid stupid childish bull crap cause they could be something special later on.

I would bet that Bradley Strong was the only one of the 2 that knew his pattern.

Guest lookoutmountain

I agree and certainly wasn't wishing to sale Gate City short on their Line. I heard the Gate City line is pretty young and they lost a bit to graduation also. No question, Richlands will be a different team in 8 weeks and much improved with Mance. Gate City will be a much improved team also with Houseright who is about as knowledgable as they come. Both teams have solid futures.

Both Richlands and GC players, coaches and fans alike, knew it would be a hard fought game, as it usually always is. Both teams are young with very few seniors and will have many good games between them before they graduate. GC is just trying to get back to what GC football is all about. Richlands only needs to look back to last year. Sure they lost the season opener in Gate City, but went on to have a really good season. They play each other to win of course, but to get better and see where their weaknesses are going forward. The only problem with two perenial powerhouses playing each other out of the gate is to make it thru it without getting anyone hurt and beat up to bad. Other than some bruises and soreness, I think both teams came of the game relatively unscathed. Good luck to the Blues and Devils the rest of the way and I believe the game will be a win for both squads.

Both Richlands and GC players, coaches and fans alike, knew it would be a hard fought game, as it usually always is. Both teams are young with very few seniors and will have many good games between them before they graduate. GC is just trying to get back to what GC football is all about. Richlands only needs to look back to last year. Sure they lost the season opener in Gate City, but went on to have a really good season. They play each other to win of course, but to get better and see where their weaknesses are going forward. The only problem with two perenial powerhouses playing each other out of the gate is to make it thru it without getting anyone hurt and beat up to bad. Other than some bruises and soreness, I think both teams came of the game relatively unscathed. Good luck to the Blues and Devils the rest of the way and I believe the game will be a win for both squads.

Good Post.

This season may be a mirror image of last season, rough start end strong. Gotta give credit to GC, they ran up the gut on Richlands all night. The Blues O will have to gel, I figured this coming into the game. I thought Richlands had a lot of missed opp's. with some WR wide open and not hit. The one that Richlands is going to have to work on is scoring inside the 5yd line that needs to be a give me, you cant get to the 1 and not score. That would have put Richlands up 14-10 and probably would have ended that way. All in all Richlands will be a tough football team but they have a long way to go. After next week I like our chances of being 1-1.

This season may be a mirror image of last season, rough start end strong. Gotta give credit to GC, they ran up the gut on Richlands all night. The Blues O will have to gel, I figured this coming into the game. I thought Richlands had a lot of missed opp's. with some WR wide open and not hit. The one that Richlands is going to have to work on is scoring inside the 5yd line that needs to be a give me, you cant get to the 1 and not score. That would have put Richlands up 14-10 and probably would have ended that way. All in all Richlands will be a tough football team but they have a long way to go. After next week I like our chances of being 1-1.

Another thing in my opinion is Richlands should play more balanced. Seems like all they wanted to do was throw the deep ball in the second half. In a 3 point game they had all the time in the world to throw short passes and run the ball some. I think Mance will have the O going great though. Also in my opinion GC and Richlands play way to early in the season. This would be an even better game after the two have 4 or 5 games under their belts.