found a couple of Garon Marcum videos..

Lance

was cleaning out my pc...well trying to get everything backed up to a new hard drive and I found a few videos from Garon's SR. year...threw them on youtube if anyone wants to check them out...not sure where they were shot but he is playing with a broken arm with a cast on it so must have been early in the year.

anyway...figured Cotton and some of the old Grundy folks might get a kick out of watching them...if i find any more I'll post them up.

main highlight video:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4042537

new video 1:

new video 2:

You have the A.W. Looney hit against paintsville?

yes sir...it's on the main highlight film somewhere near the end...that was one heck of a hit...lol.

EDIT: the hit is at 4:00 on the main highlight film.

man that was a nasty hit, i wish I would have been old enough to remember Garon him play.

my brother played with him, he tells me that he was a beast

He was pretty tough. Several good backs in the county during those couple of years. Hurleys Shane Justice, Twin Valleys Wyatt Justus, Grundys Marcum and Justin Hipps.

i would love to find some videos of carrie perkins when he play for grundy..iwas really young at the time he played and alot lot of you may not know who im talking about he was the best around at that time just ask a few older folks in grundy they tell ya about him........

I have one of Cary I got from Todd a couple of years ago (yes I still have your tape Todd lol)...Cary was good for his time, not sure how he would stack up against today's kids...all the old time teams from back in the 80's and on back are interesting to look at...I was looking at an old program the other day and the biggest lineman in the book was 255 pounds...and not many over 6 foot...now there seems to be a lot bigger and more muscular kids than there were back then...or maybe it just seems that way....but, seems like things have evolved a bit in the last 20+ years.

Cary was a special kid because he had to overcome a lot just to play...he was a heck of a ball player and a nice guy to boot...I think sometimes as the games start to fade and the years go by, the legend continues to grow.

Here is a pic of Cary from 1987...he was a JR listed at 165 lbs..just fyi.

1987 Wave 3.jpg

Wasnt old enough to really remember cary playing but i do know one year in college he was the va state player of the year. i think in his time he owned almost all of Grundy's records on offense (running passing rec.) from all the stories ive heard he was an amazing all around player

Wasnt old enough to really remember cary playing but i do know one year in college he was the va state player of the year. i think in his time he owned almost all of Grundy's records on offense (running passing rec.) from all the stories ive heard he was an amazing all around player

yeah he was good...they used him for just about anything that had to do with handeling the ball at one point or another...he even kicked...lol.

I think what most people don't realize is that he really didn't get going though until the Tazewell game in 1987 as a JR...Grundy beat Tazewell 28-0 and used Perkins to do it...that was on Halloween night and was late in the year on the schedule...there was only the Graham game left the next week...but that set him up for an amazing SR year...so as far as records and all that, he really didn't get rolling until game 9 of his JR year.

Lloyd's book "Coalfield Dreams" has a great chapter/section on Cary...if you are a Grundy, Hurley, or Garden fan you should check out his book...full of good stories from all the county teams.

Garon was a helluva running back. He sure had some wheels on him. If he would have had a line his senior year there would have been big things happening for him. He was the definition of potential, believe that. And I'm not saying he didn't live up to it, but he could have been playing D1.

BTW the Al Bundy theme, frickin sweet.

who cares about Caron freakin MANCUM!! HAHAHA....just kiddin, Garon is a good friend of mine...i worked with him for about a year, Lance youll have to ask him how he got the name caron mancum lol....that has been his nick name for awhile now, wheather he will admit it or not idk lol.

was cleaning out my pc...well trying to get everything backed up to a new hard drive and I found a few videos from Garon's SR. year...threw them on youtube if anyone wants to check them out...not sure where they were shot but he is playing with a broken arm with a cast on it so must have been early in the year.

anyway...figured Cotton and some of the old Grundy folks might get a kick out of watching them...if i find any more I'll post them up.

main highlight video:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4042537

new video 1:

new video 2:

the first new video is at shelby valley. fist part of it anyway

Garon was a helluva running back. He sure had some wheels on him. If he would have had a line his senior year there would have been big things happening for him. He was the definition of potential, believe that. And I'm not saying he didn't live up to it, but he could have been playing D1.

BTW the Al Bundy theme, frickin sweet.

i don't think he's done with it all just yet...we'll see what happens.

yeah he was good...they used him for just about anything that had to do with handeling the ball at one point or another...he even kicked...lol.

I think what most people don't realize is that he really didn't get going though until the Tazewell game in 1987 as a JR...Grundy beat Tazewell 28-0 and used Perkins to do it...that was on Halloween night and was late in the year on the schedule...there was only the Graham game left the next week...but that set him up for an amazing SR year...so as far as records and all that, he really didn't get rolling until game 9 of his JR year.

Lloyd's book "Coalfield Dreams" has a great chapter/section on Cary...if you are a Grundy, Hurley, or Garden fan you should check out his book...full of good stories from all the county teams.

I have that book and Lloyd's even signed it for me. Im going to start reading it soon.

Garon was good but he is not in the top 3 backs to play at grundy.

Cary perkins -best athlete to ever play at grundy

David Scammell

Tim Rutherford

Jake Stacy

Garon marcum

lol...Garon had to split carries and ended up #1 on the list...not much else to be said about it.

Hate to say it but just dont think garon is the best that came though grundy overall at rb Hipps i think overall was a better rb if u remember correctly hipps split carries with prater freshman year and stacy so. and jr. year then garon and aw sr. not to mention all the carries that dales got at fb.

Hipps was ok...good power type runner...thats about as far as it goes.

I have Garon in the top 3, but not number one.

1. David Scammell (he was at 145-155 lbs and was a beast with over 2000 yards in 95-96 not sure which year.)

2. Garon Marcum (career rushing leader)

3. Carey Perkins ( From what I have read in Coalfield Dreams he had something special)

I have Garon in the top 3, but not number one.

1. David Scammell (he was at 145-155 lbs and was a beast with over 2000 yards in 95-96 not sure which year.)

2. Garon Marcum (career rushing leader)

3. Carey Perkins ( From what I have read in Coalfield Dreams he had something special)

Dont mean to offend anyone but I think AW Looney was as good as Marcum and he should have got the ball more than what he did.

Looney was good...i think he was better on D than he was running the ball...which is scary...lol...he could throw a hit on someone....that 2004 team Grundy had was one of the best...a lot of talent on there on both sides of the ball. Looney reminded me a lot of Hipps, same style...would rather run over someone than make a cut. I'd love to have any of those guys on my team, but if i had to pick one it would be Garon. Most people know about the rushing record at Grundy, but Garon also holds the record for most TD's at 57 and is somewhere in the middle of the all time list for A-AA-AAA ball in VA....the only Grundy player that's on that list.

Scammell was good but he was the focus of the offense and got a ton of carries...he was a hard nosed runner as well...playing on different types of Grundy teams it's hard to sit back and try to pick which one is the best out of all of them. I doubt many people here have seen all of these guys play.