Looks Like Oregon Is Going To Reinstate Blount

rjhall71

Do you guys agree with this or not?

By Joe Schad

ESPN

Oregon coach Chip Kelly will address LeGarrette Blount's status on Friday morning, the school said Thursday.

The suspended running back will have an opportunity to be reinstated to the program later this season, provided he continues to follow a plan set in place after the first game, a source told ESPN on Thursday.

Blount has been suspended since he punched Boise State defensive end Byron Hout after Oregon's season-opening loss to the Broncos. On Thursday, the Oregon campus newspaper published a letter of apology from Blount.

Blount has been participating in Oregon practice as a member of the scout team and has been attending classes.

Kelly had previously said reinstatement was not an option. But Blount has impressed many people he's spoken with as part of the plan. Among those people are Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Kermit Washington and noted sociologist and scholar Harry Edwards, a professor emeritus at Cal-Berkeley.

Blount has recently become a father. A person familiar with Kelly's plan said the resinstatement would not come immediately and likely not before Oregon's bye week on Oct. 17.

It is also believed that Oregon athletic director Mike Bellotti and school president Richard Lariviere are on board with the possibility for reinstatement, though its not known to what extent the Pac-10 has been involved.

My thing is what does him becoming a father have to do with his character? Which to me is what is in question here...do you suppose if Oregon had lost to Cal that they would even be thinking about this? I think that they see a possible chance to win the PAC 10 and that is the motivation here. Just my thoughts though

Your right... you would think the PAC 10 or NCAA would step in here...i mean what he did to the Boise State player was bad but damn he tried to go after the fans...to me that is way over the line.

I agree, I think it is a bad call. That was an ignorant move to do what he done against Boise. So what is it, do you mature overnight after you become a father?

how is it ignorant? has the Boise St. player that STARTED the confrontation been reinstated??? if he has been, that is the ignorant move. Blount would have walked right past him until the guy from Boise St. tried to be cool/funny in front of teammates. it was all STARTED by the Boise St. player, not Blount.

Doesn't matter if the Boise St kid started it, if this would have happened on the street Blount wouldve went to jail.. So he's extremely lucky that he still plays.. I think this was planned all along, he wasnt ever kicked off the team he could still practice and didnt lose his scholarship.. It was just a plan to get the media and ncaa off of him..

how is it ignorant? has the Boise St. player that STARTED the confrontation been reinstated??? if he has been, that is the ignorant move. Blount would have walked right past him until the guy from Boise St. tried to be cool/funny in front of teammates. it was all STARTED by the Boise St. player, not Blount.

I guess him going after the fans was alright as well...He should have been kicked off the team and suspended by the NCAA. I understand that players play with emotion but what he did was way over the line.

So just because someone is talking smack it gives someone the right to physically attack them? Blount had been talking crap all week in the media about how he was going to run all over Boise State. He deserved to be put in his place by Boise players. No matter what the Boise player said Blount had no right to attack him and try to go after the fans. I think he should be in jail myself and not be wondering if he is getting reinstated.

So just because someone is talking smack it gives someone the right to physically attack them? Blount had been talking crap all week in the media about how he was going to run all over Boise State. He deserved to be put in his place by Boise players. No matter what the Boise player said Blount had no right to attack him and try to go after the fans. I think he should be in jail myself and not be wondering if he is getting reinstated.

yes, going after the fans was wrong. but not only did the Boise player say stuff, he bumped into him trying to be macho and turned and laughed about it. only then did Blount retaliate.

I thought suspending the kid for the rest of his college career (he is a senior) was a little extreme. The kid should have learned his lesson. I respect Oregon's coach for keeping Blounte around. Pulling the kid's scholarship may have sent the kid home with no degree and who knows where after that. Re-instated or not, I was glad they kept him around the program. If I was a betting man, I would bet you will see him back in action for the Ducks.

For those that don't know...

The incident at Boise St. was not the first issue that Blount has had during his college career...during summer workouts, he got into a fight with a coach and other teammates. There were also a couple of other "behavior incidents" earlier in his career as well.

Now with that info from GMan...how can anyone say that this kid deserves a chance to comeback this year.

so do you all think that Mike Vick should have not gotten another chance? any other NFL players who made bad decisions? any pro or college athlete that has problems? if "behavioral issues" were at question than half of athletes everywhere would not be playing.

so do you all think that Mike Vick should have not gotten another chance? any other NFL players who made bad decisions? any pro or college athlete that has problems? if "behavioral issues" were at question than half of athletes everywhere would not be playing.

Blount has already been given several chances to redeem himself after problems he has had. How many chances does he need? He can still practice with the team and he still has a shot at the NFL. That is the reward he should be working towards.

Brandon Ore had problems with doing things the right way in Blacksburg. He was given several chances to redeem himself, but in the end, he continued to slip up and was dismissed from the team for example.

In the end, how many chances does someone need?

Blount has already been given several chances to redeem himself after problems he has had. How many chances does he need? He can still practice with the team and he still has a shot at the NFL. That is the reward he should be working towards.

Brandon Ore had problems with doing things the right way in Blacksburg. He was given several chances to redeem himself, but in the end, he continued to slip up and was dismissed from the team for example.

and i understand that. but no matter what, whether it's the team they play for or another team, someone will always give them another chance if they are talented such as Ore and Blount. it's only ignorant if it's the same team that gives them a chance i guess?

Ore was dismissed as soon as Beamer had a halfway-decent running back to replace him. Not because he exhausted as many chances as a cat has lives. BIG, yet hard to discern, difference. That being said, Kelly is just as crooked for having Blount back, now that the Pac-10 race is up for grabs.