Question for GMan

dshreeves

First, thanks for posting the VHSL ratings today. It's nice to see we are at the point of the season where these start to make some sense.

I know you've probably answered this question a few times here but i'm gonna have to ask once more.

How many playoff spots are available in each region and division this season?

It's been 4 for so long on our end of the state, i'm confused as to how many get in, in each region/division.

And one more question you may be able to answer, why has the VHSL expanded the playoffs this season? I would assume money would be a big part of that but is there something else to it that i'm missing?

Thanks.

First, thanks for posting the VHSL ratings today. It's nice to see we are at the point of the season where these start to make some sense.

I know you've probably answered this question a few times here but i'm gonna have to ask once more.

How many playoff spots are available in each region and division this season?

It's been 4 for so long on our end of the state, i'm confused as to how many get in, in each region/division.

And one more question you may be able to answer, why has the VHSL expanded the playoffs this season? I would assume money would be a big part of that but is there something else to it that i'm missing?

Thanks.

These are not definite answers but they are pretty close...

I think all regions in AA and A, with the exception of Region D, will have six teams in the playoffs. Region D, for one reason or another, will continue with the four-team playoff setup.

This wasn't a decision made by the VHSL, it is a decision made by the Regions. Although, the VHSL gave the OK to do so either last year or two years ago. I know for sure that Region III had six teams in their Regional playoff last season.

As for why, I'm sure money for the Regions has something to do with it but also, in several Regions, there were teams that were deserving of making the post season that got left out because of the old four-team setup and allowing district champions an automatic bid to the post season (see Region C, D-2).

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I see what you mean about deserving teams being left out. I remember a few seasons ago, George Wythe went 9-1 and sat home because they did not win the district and four division 2 teams won all the districts in region C.

And it means more football come November so that can't be a bad thing.

........But you can really end up watering down the playoffs. It should mean something to be there. Even with 4 teams we seem to have the 4-6 and 5-5 teams in every year. It is tough to beat a good team twice in one year. (see the GC/Leb rivalry each of the last couple years)

I like the fact the regular season means something. It could end up like the NBA where everyone with a winning record gets in.

........But you can really end up watering down the playoffs. It should mean something to be there. Even with 4 teams we seem to have the 4-6 and 5-5 teams in every year. It is tough to beat a good team twice in one year. (see the GC/Leb rivalry each of the last couple years)

I like the fact the regular season means something. It could end up like the NBA where everyone with a winning record gets in.

You make a very good point. I do like the fact it gives us an extra week of games but it will diminish the achievement of getting a playoff berth.

I think we're gonna have another GC/Lebanon rematch come playoff time and i'd bet the winner represents our end of the state in Salem.

I agree. If your team goes 5-5 they don't deserve to be in the playoffs, just my .02 worth.

I agree. If your team goes 5-5 they don't deserve to be in the playoffs, just my .02 worth.

Graham has been doing it the past few years, hell I even think they were 4-6 last year in the playoffs and that was with 4 teams making the playoffs..

The point I am trying to make is if you go 5-5 and miss the playoffs you don't have the right to B!#@$ about it. You may have a 5-5 go deep in the playoffs but that percentage is not alot. I feel under no circumstances if you go below .500 you should not make the playoffs.

Well....schedules have to play into it. Some 5-5 teams may have played a much tougher schedule than an 8-2 team. If it was strictly based on records, there'd be a lot of teams try to "cupcake" their way into the playoffs.

Well....schedules have to play into it. Some 5-5 teams may have played a much tougher schedule than an 8-2 team. If it was strictly based on records, there'd be a lot of teams try to "cupcake" their way into the playoffs.

I agree with you on that, but what I am saying is that if a 5-5 or 4-6 team makes the playoffs 9 times out of 10 the go home after 1, they percentage is just stacked up against them. With that said, yes once in a blue moon you will have a team with that record come up and bite some teams in the A$$.

i think you should go to the playoffs...if it was your mighty tornadoes went 5-5 u would be all in 4 this rule

Edited by DA SHOCKER73

that is a perfect example of the holston program

i think you should go to the playoffs...if it was your mighty tornadoes went 5-5 u would be all in 4 this rule

Nope, would not be deserving, but would be happy they made it (I guess bias) which anyone will be happy there team made it. Don't think they would make it very far. How many teams do you know that went 4-6 or 5-5 that ended up in the big dance come december? If any, not a great percentage over a period of time. This is all I am disputing guys.

Nope, would not be deserving, but would be happy they made it (I guess bias) which anyone will be happy there team made it. Don't think they would make it very far. How many teams do you know that went 4-6 or 5-5 that ended up in the big dance come december? If any, not a great percentage over a period of time. This is all I am disputing guys.

Thought it was getting warm in here!