I never liked Home Depot anyway...

GMan

Guest JJBrickface

That's odd because "God" is on my money, so I doubt that they would want my money. Since I do not want to offend them I will not buy any products from Home Depot.

If he were actually fired on that basis alone, he'll never have to work another day in his life.

Never set foot inside a Home Depot, and pending the court action that ensues, may not ever.

"I've worn it for well over a year and I support my country and God," Trevor Keezor said Tuesday. "I was just doing what I think every American should do, just love my country."

But when he began bringing his bible to work to read during his break, that's when Home Depot took action. I think he's gonna get a huge raise!!!

I am sure every one has heard about what Larry David did in his latest episode on HBO. If this was directed towards gays, racial minorities, or women; then we would be on the verge of riots. Where is the Christian upheaval? If this really offends Christians, cancel HBO, stop shopping at Home Depot. Most places have a choice; Home Depot or Lowes. Christians make up the largest religious group in the US. It is time we start acting like it and voting our values again. The last election is proof that evangelicals didn't get out and vote. I hope we don't have that problem again.

On a side note: has anyone else read about the "white out" shirt that Penn State has gotten in trouble for because some people say it depicts a cross?

Here is a link to the story: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569665,00.html

If he were actually fired on that basis alone, he'll never have to work another day in his life.

Never set foot inside a Home Depot, and pending the court action that ensues, may not ever.

I don't see why the guy would win a lawsuit against Home Depot. If their dress code specifically prohibits the wearing of pins or buttons other than those provided by the company, then this guy is in direct violation of that code.

It may not be a popular decision, and it may cost them business, but as a private company, Home Depot has every right to fire the guy (if the dress code reads the way they say it does). Just like everyone else has every right to quit shopping there, if they are offended by this.

"That's not our place to say, which is exactly why we have a blanket policy, which is long-standing and well-communicated to our associates, that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons."

So the long-standing policy let this guy break the dress code for a solid year and now he is being punished. Sounds a little iffy. I agree that if it is company policy than he should be fired if he refused, but the time line is a little large to place it solely on this.

On the Penn State shirt, I thought of their helmets until someone "enlightened" me that it looked like a cross and PSU was wrong for selling the shirt.

"That's not our place to say, which is exactly why we have a blanket policy, which is long-standing and well-communicated to our associates, that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons."

So the long-standing policy let this guy break the dress code for a solid year and now he is being punished. Sounds a little iffy. I agree that if it is company policy than he should be fired if he refused, but the time line is a little large to place it solely on this.

On the Penn State shirt, I thought of their helmets until someone "enlightened" me that it looked like a cross and PSU was wrong for selling the shirt.

I agree is it indeed went on for a solid year then the timing is a little fishy. However, it may not have came to the attention of the right person within that year. I have worked in retail for 6+ years, and in management for 3+ years. From experience I can tell you that a store or department manager may not have a problem/ignore somethings, but if upper management comes in the store and sees something they do not like, they do not care a bit to let you know about it. I have witnessed many cases where you do something the same way everyday for a year (or more) and not even know that it is wrong, but if the right person sees you doing it that way then they will point it out to you. It is very likely that this could be the case.

I agree the Penn State thing is silly.

I don't see why the guy would win a lawsuit against Home Depot. If their dress code specifically prohibits the wearing of pins or buttons other than those provided by the company, then this guy is in direct violation of that code.

It may not be a popular decision, and it may cost them business, but as a private company, Home Depot has every right to fire the guy (if the dress code reads the way they say it does). Just like everyone else has every right to quit shopping there, if they are offended by this.

If the dress code specifically denies people from wearing buttons and pins, then it makes his case harder. But I have some more questions that I'd like to know, as an inquiring mind:

1. Were other people wearing non-approved material?

2. Why did it take Home Depot a year to take action?

3. Have other people been fired for wearing non-approved material?

4. If #3 is yes, how long did it take them?

If he can prove that the company policy was imprecisely followed, he can still yet claim a victory in this. It shows bad faith in Home Depot's actions while it shows that Home Depot was segregating on the basis of their message, rather than "simply upholding" the dress code.