New VT Nike Uniforms for Maryland game...

GMan

Several teams across the country are showcasing Nike's new uniform for at least a game this season. Nike is now making uniforms with the Dri-Fit technology among several other features. Texas, Ohio State, and Florida State are all set to unveil their new threads later on this season. I know that Florida State will wear theirs next weekend against Maryland too.

Here are some pictures of Florida State. I saw a picture of the new Texas uniform several days ago, but I can't locate it right now. I'll keep trying:

fsuy.jpg

gloves.jpg

helmetr.jpg

I thought the Hokie uniforms looked sweet! I love the all white helmets too!

I second this.

Although, I could do without the two-toned numbers. A solid color would make them awesome.

Even if they were to adopt this uniform for good, I can't see them wearing a white helmet with a maroon (or orange) top at home. I'd like to think, or at least hope, they would keep the maroon helmets in their lockers too.

to one game with a vintage white helmet with the state on the helmet....i think that would be nice for a game...but oh well...wish we would just wear blue on blue or just the regular blue on gold tired of all this uniform shuffling. but i do like vt's look there in white.

to one game with a vintage white helmet with the state on the helmet....i think that would be nice for a game...but oh well...wish we would just wear blue on blue or just the regular blue on gold tired of all this uniform shuffling. but i do like vt's look there in white.

You mean like this one? I'd like to see WVU wear it for a game too. I like the change up of uniforms for time to time. It's a nice change up for the game played.

West_Virginia_OLD5.gif

Edited by bhs7695

I second this.

Although, I could do without the two-toned numbers. A solid color would make them awesome.

Even if they were to adopt this uniform for good, I can't see them wearing a white helmet with a maroon (or orange) top at home. I'd like to think, or at least hope, they would keep the maroon helmets in their lockers too.

I doubt they'll adopt it for good. You will see VT change their uniforms to the "vintage" uniforms permanently with the stripes on the shoulders and down the pants legs.

ACC+Football+Championship+Boston+College+v+A2P3yr_a1INl.jpg

Edited by bhs7695

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that Virginia Tech turned into Oregon East. Really guys? We can't just keep it simple?

It has nothing to do with VT this is a Nike thing. They chose 10 schools to wear them and we were one of the ten.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/11/battle-brands

By Kyle Tucker

The Virginian-Pilot

© November 10, 2009

BLACKSBURG

The stencils on the side of the big, black, military-style vehicle parked in the middle of Virginia Tech’s campus told the tale: PREPARE FOR COMBAT.

The over-the-top literature being passed out at the gathering – along with the $24 white cotton T-shirts being hawked – said all you need to know. Their message: Good guys wear white.

As for the guys not wearing white? Well, the promotional materials told Tech students, it’s a matter of “good vs. evil.” And good always triumphs.

All this for the unveiling of a new style of football jersey the Hokies will wear Saturday against the Maryland Terrapins, who you might have guessed by now will not be wearing white.

“Stay in your shells, tortoises,” the Nike fliers said. “It’s time for combat.”

All this, and several performances by Tech’s cheerleaders and dance team – with appearances by head coach Frank Beamer and former legends Bruce Smith and Antonio Freeman thrown in – for the debut of some new jerseys and pants and cleats.

Not just any jerseys, pants and cleats, mind you. These are, says the literature, 37 percent lighter than any jersey ever made. The shoes are a mere 10 ounces – surely making the team’s previous cleats seem like cinder blocks.

You sweat less in this space-age stuff, too. And the cutting-edge stitching – trust them, it’s all about the details – makes last year’s threads look like they were woven on a loom.

Lucky for Virginia Tech, it was chosen as one of only 10 programs to debut Nike’s latest, greatest threads over the next few weeks: the Pro Combat line. And the battle lines were clearly drawn Monday afternoon in Blacksburg. The fight is on for your consumer dollar.

In such a showdown, not an ounce of bravado can be spared. Sensitivity to the war references? Sometimes there’s collateral damage.

Nike executive Lorren Hoppes, in explaining the all-white look Tech will wear against Maryland , said his company learned that the Terps would be having a “blackout” for this game.

“So we wanted the good guys to wear white,” he said.

Turns out, Maryland – whose jerseys are made by Nike rival Under Armour – is actually wearing black and tan camouflage uniforms for the game. It’s in honor of military veterans and to promote the Wounded Warrior Project.

Hoppes said the “Good Guys Wear White” campaign wasn’t a dig at a competitor, but then he did say Nike tried to roll out this new product line in games against non-Nike-sponsored schools.

As for any unintended disrespect to the men and women engaged in real, live combat, Tech’s new outfits do feature the phrase “UT Prosim” – a classy nod to the school’s own military tradition. The Latin phrase, stitched on the uniform’s waistband, means “That I May Serve.”

So what does Beamer think of it all? He thinks what just about anybody would whose athletic program is in the midst of an eight-year contract worth $9.7 million in cash and products. Also stitched inside the collar of the new jerseys is the word “Beamerball,” a nod to the coach’s style of winning with defense and special teams.

“Nike has treated Virginia Tech very, very well,” Beamer told a crowd of a few hundred students and faculty Monday. “Buy their products because I think they are the very best.”

Beamer traded jokes on stage with Smith, who just joined the NFL Hall of Fame, and Freeman.

Then Beamer walked to the corner of the platform and opened what appeared to be a large football locker. Out stepped linebacker Cody Grimm and quarterback Tyrod Taylor – donning the new, white duds.

The numbers on the jersey are two-toned (maroon and orange) and there are stripes on the sleeves and pants that fade from dark to light.

Joked Smith, who once had his own signature shoe with Nike, “You’ve got to look good to play good.”

In today’s college football, that rings truer than ever. When choosing a college, believe it or not, many high school prospects pay attention to the threads they’ll be wearing. Just ask Oregon.

Anymore, exciting uniform combinations can be a recruiting edge. To that end, the Hokies have already worn five variations of their colors this season.

“It’s definitely a privilege any time Nike chooses you to do something like this,” Grimm said.

The irony of all this: Saturday’s wardrobe smackdown won’t even be televised, and isn’t even likely to be played at a sold-out Byrd Stadium.

Kyle Tucker, (757) 446-2374, kyle.tucker@pilotonline.com