D1 needs 6 teams

romeo37

And again in 2005 at 8-2, back to back playoff appearances (something im proud of, no matter how anyone takes it. That's something I will take with me the rest of my life, granted we didn't do well in them but it was a great experience) So joke about that all you want Vols :) my point is on down years the region have some crappy teams in the playoffs. We were in at 4-6 and The Valley was in at (5-5?) that year, and then the next year Rye Cove was in at 5-5 or 6-4 and had the least amount of wins of anyone that year(but they won the Cumberland I think that year) but my point being is if you have those down playoff years like they did in '04 then with a 6 team format you are going to really not have any deserving teams in. And if it goes to a 6 team then you will start having 3-7 teams in the playoffs. Not enough teams in D2 and not enough good teams in D1. BUT I do think this years Hurley team really deserved a shot, I watched the Haysi game and Hurley should have won big. Hurley blew their opportunities. No one is realized how close Hurley came to a 10-0 season They lost to East Ridge by 5 Honaker by 2 and was only loosing to Haysi by 8 going into the 4th quarter. And Hurley play like crap in 2 of those 3 games. If you took the Rebs that Played Honaker, Pound, and the defense that the rebels played the first half of the season then your looking at a 10-0 possibly number one seed in the playoff's.

I think we finely found something to agree on this year. I know that this team is 6 points from being 9-1 and if they would have played half way decent in the Haysi game they would be 10-0. I am kinda torn on this subject, I know that the playoffs should be for district winners and highest points ratings and that mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded. I guess what the problem is the look on the boys faces after they asked about the Hon./Haysi game. I think this disappointment should be motivation for Hurley to finish the job next year and there won't be any arguements.

I like to quote a personnel favorite " To be the man, you got to beat the man. Wooooo!" Ric Flair

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we finely found something to agree on this year. I know that this team is 6 points from being 9-1 and if they would have played half way decent in the Haysi game they would be 10-0. I am kinda torn on this subject, I know that the playoffs should be for district winners and highest points ratings and that mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded. I guess what the problem is the look on the boys faces after they asked about the Hon./Haysi game. I think this disappointment should be motivation for Hurley to finish the job next year and there won't be any arguements.

I like to quote a personnel favorite " To be the man, you got to beat the man. Wooooo!" Ric Flair

Not trying to Knock the Cumberland District, but they need to do away with it and split the teams in other districts. That District alone has laid the Sausage to some really good teams over the years in the playoff's lol

and on another note (Not trying to put salt on the wound) but in region C Division one they have two 3-7 teams in the playoff's. I think a better fit would be to get rid of the Cumberland and split it up in other districts.

Edited by mapper

Its not going to change on this end, until you get the principal and the coaches and whoever else it may take to lay a plan on the table that best suits Hurley...in order for them to compete at the level they need to...the system is not fair at all....they need to take a closer look at this and determine at what level we need to be competing ...I can't believe that this hasn't been looked into before all this...I think the right people and the quanity of people can make a difference...its not fair to these boys who get out there to represent Hurley High School...to me football is a lot harder to play, considering how your body takes a beating...I think the least that we could do is take time to get something done in their favor..its the least we can do....I think we need to work on it now before the next season rolls around...

If you took the Rebs that Played Honaker, Pound, and the defense that the rebels played the first half of the season then your looking at a 10-0 possibly number one seed in the playoff's.
If they would have played defense against East Ridge like they did Pound and Honaker they would have won that game easily. I dont see how they can hold Honaker to 7pts and haysi to 8pts going into the 4 quarter and give up 37 to East Ridge. Seems like when we had good defense the offense couldnt score and when we had good offense the Defense gave up too many. Like you said we were 6 points form being 9-1 and we should have beat East Ridge and Honaker but I do think Haysi was the better team this year and I think their schedule helped prepare them. I think truly we should have been 9-1 but with all that being said we still would have no got in the playoffs at 9-1.

Yes, its nice to have a chance at a playoff game. However, being realistic, what is going to happen in Region D, D-1? Everyone already knows. This is beat-down week and Burton and Clintwood will play next week in the finals.

Not trying to Knock the Cumberland District, but they need to do away with it and split the teams in other districts. That District alone has laid the Sausage to some really good teams over the years in the playoff's lol

and on another note (Not trying to put salt on the wound) but in region C Division one they have two 3-7 teams in the playoff's. I think a better fit would be to get rid of the Cumberland and split it up in other districts.

As much as you may want to knock the Cumberland, they are only 1 regional title behind the BDD this decade. The BDD has 2 I believe. Haysi in 05? and Honaker in 2000, both in D2. Rye Cove won the D1 title in 2000 as well, so its not like either has huge bragging rights.