D1 needs 6 teams

romeo37

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like another guy said in another thread... t's NOT the VHSL that needs to do something... they already have. It's up to the Region D ppl. to vote to expand to 6 teams.[/quote

I think the 6 team system is a joke in the other regions. Teams no where near deserving are in the playoffs. Its all about the vhsl bringing in more money, but nothing to do with the level of competition.

They should go to 6 teams, I agree - but most definitely VHSL sanctioned schools should have to play a certain number of IN-STATE schools to qualify for the playoffs as well. It's not fair to other schools vying for a playoff berth if some schools run to play the West Virginia & Kentucky Sisters of the Poor every other week chalking up cheap wins.

they could not beat haysi because they was sick with the flu hurley heald up and played honaker 7-6 at honaker and honaker played haysi 8-6 so what does that tell you hurley was better from the flu bug ...... haysi is not going anywhere they will get beat down just like hurley would in the playoffs

I'm not on here to throw any stones at anyone, but this thread is about having the same opportunity as the other regions do....we are small and its hard to keep everyone healthy through a whole season . This season is and was a great season for Hurley....alot of smash mouthing from Haysi is not what we need on this thread...I wish you could have seen these boys faces when they was told they didnt make the playoffs...they didn't want to turn their jerseys in ...they wanted to keep playing because everyone didn't want to give it up after coming this far...they asked if there was anything they could do to get the four team format changed to the six team format...why is it not possible for this to happen....I'm sure there could be some kind of emergency meeting called to plant a vote on this .. I honestly think they just want to say they are going to the playoffs with the big dogs and possibly have fun enough with it to pull an upset ..why not...what can happen but you lose or pull an upset...thats what football is all about...its unpredictable....more fans more money....why not? Hurleys schedule is just as tough as any other schools and in turn they are as you all say as DESERVING AS ANY OTHER TEAM WHY THE DIFFERENCE? We need to be right about this and better the program for everyone...remember these are kids play just as hard at practice and games as any other team there are no difference in the techniques , football is football....there should not be any difference in the opportunity to be on that top six..its open to the better teams that came out on top so if everyone has six, then we should have the same opportunity to have six....

I'm not on here to throw any stones at anyone, but this thread is about having the same opportunity as the other regions do....we are small and its hard to keep everyone healthy through a whole season . This season is and was a great season for Hurley....alot of smash mouthing from Haysi is not what we need on this thread...I wish you could have seen these boys faces when they was told they didnt make the playoffs...they didn't want to turn their jerseys in ...they wanted to keep playing because everyone didn't want to give it up after coming this far...they asked if there was anything they could do to get the four team format changed to the six team format...why is it not possible for this to happen....I'm sure there could be some kind of emergency meeting called to plant a vote on this .. I honestly think they just want to say they are going to the playoffs with the big dogs and possibly have fun enough with it to pull an upset ..why not...what can happen but you lose or pull an upset...thats what football is all about...its unpredictable....more fans more money....why not? Hurleys schedule is just as tough as any other schools and in turn they are as you all say as DESERVING AS ANY OTHER TEAM WHY THE DIFFERENCE? We need to be right about this and better the program for everyone...remember these are kids play just as hard at practice and games as any other team there are no difference in the techniques , football is football....there should not be any difference in the opportunity to be on that top six..its open to the better teams that came out on top so if everyone has six, then we should have the same opportunity to have six....

They did have the same opportunity to have a six team playoff. However, the regional committee chose not to.

Would it really matter if Hurley or Appy had gotten in. That won't stop Clintwood or Burton from winning the region. This just gives those schools the opportunity to get the basketballs pumped up.

I really don't mean any disrespect to Hurley or Appalachia....but Appalachia is 5-5 (not impressive) and Hurley didn't beat an impressive team all year.

Would it really matter if Hurley or Appy had gotten in. That won't stop Clintwood or Burton from winning the region. This just gives those schools the opportunity to get the basketballs pumped up.

I really don't mean any disrespect to Hurley or Appalachia....but Appalachia is 5-5 (not impressive) and Hurley didn't beat an impressive team all year.

They play who they were suppose to play. Apalachia would beat Thomas Walker and Haysi. Everyone says Hurley didnt play anybody but WV and KY schools. They beat ST. Paul and Pound pretty convincing. The Ky schools they play were better than St paul and Pound. East Ridge would beat both schools.

They play who they were suppose to play. Apalachia would beat Thomas Walker and Haysi. Everyone says Hurley didnt play anybody but WV and KY schools. They beat ST. Paul and Pound pretty convincing. The Ky schools they play were better than St paul and Pound. East Ridge would beat both schools.

I don't think St. Paul or Pound is much to brag about. And they didn't beat East Ridge, so that doesn't really matter. If they had played and beaten tougher schools, they would've gotten in.

But I think you're probably right that Appy would beat TW or Haysi. It would all depend on which Appy team showed up....the one that played PV, or the one that played JJK.

They should go to 6 teams, I agree - but most definitely VHSL sanctioned schools should have to play a certain number of IN-STATE schools to qualify for the playoffs as well. It's not fair to other schools vying for a playoff berth if some schools run to play the West Virginia & Kentucky Sisters of the Poor every other week chalking up cheap wins.

Since Hurley is the only one who plays any KY schools I guess you are talking about Hurley. Who would you like us to play? Gate City, Powell Valley, and Richlands. Why would we play those schools with our enrollment numbers. We are playing the teams we are suppose to play. We will play anybody out of the cumberland district but the only teams that will come to Hurley are Ervinton and ST Paul and we beat both. Castlewood, Twing Springs, Coeburn ane the rest of the cumberland will not play Hurley I guess for trvel reasons. The only teams Hurley needs to play out of the LPD is Appalachia and Pound. Hurley beat Pound which everyone thought they were gonn lose becasue Pound played in the LPD ....Let me tell you one thing the KY schools that Hurley palyed are probably better than the VA schools besides Haysi and Honaker. Now if hurley was trying to schedule cupcakes they would schedule the whole cumberland district. I would much rather play those schools than the KY schools we are playing now. Plus the KY schools are only 20 minutes From Hurley and its a good rivalry games. Dont fault the kids for beating the teams on their schedule. Maybe hurley dont have nothing for JI Burton and clintwood but I think that them and Appalachia are more deserving than any cumberland team. I agree we had our chance and didnt make it happen but that is that but jsut dont be saying we try to fill our schedule with cupcakes. We arent gonna go and get beat up every week by Gate City, Richlands, Clintwood but we will play the teams we are suppose to.

Hurley was given the same chance as every other school win your district and your in, doesent matter who else you played. Life is full of ups and downs and thats how it is, im sure those kids are taking it rough but thats life. They wont be taking it any harder than all of the other teams who didnt make it in, or the four schools in the region that wont be playing anymore after next week.

and does the flu only affect hurley while haysi and honaker are completly immune to it? Because nobody told me.

Hurley had a great season but wanting to call special meetings, crying and whyning as well as all of that other bs just cheapens this season and what those boys did.

My senior year team had three losses to three good teams, the rest of the teams we played were soft. We missed the playoffs, oh well too bad! Enjoy what you had not cry about what you dont!!

Hurley is a small school and falls back on its enrollment as a reason for only playing teams its size (an arguement I have made for haysi on many occasions) but clintwood has an enrollment of about 300 and JIB is just over 200, thats about hurleys size so dont talk about those schools like they are HUGE, they are just good.

Thomas Walker and Lee play several KY schools as well.

Edited by brettc

Hurley and Appy had their chances just like everyone else did. How about St Paul or Honaker or Va High? The rules were simple win your district and you are in the play-offs. Don't win your district you better out point someone else. If anything needs to be done V$HL needs to look at the districts and place teams according to size. No mixing of D1 & D2!! etc.

Region D should be a 6 team playoff like Region C. However, it really doesn't matter. That would just give Clintwood and Burton a week off to lick their chops. Two of the four playing them would just get one additional game before being spanked. With only four, they'll get spanked this week and can start on basketball. Clintwood and Burton will play in the finals next week. That' an absolute certainty.

yelp i say they did but honaker has 60 players to hurley has 23 and there starters was sick with tempertures and that put a hurt on us but we still played them 7-6 thats pretty darn good to have the starters sick and still hold them to 7 points if hurley would of been healthy they would of beat them down

yelp i say they did but honaker has 60 players to hurley has 23 and there starters was sick with tempertures and that put a hurt on us but we still played them 7-6 thats pretty darn good to have the starters sick and still hold them to 7 points if hurley would of been healthy they would of beat them down

Don't doubt that at all. However, making the playoffs would not have been a pleasant thing this year. Region D in D-1 may as well only have 2 qualifiers. The only other games present opportunity for injury. It'll be either Burton or Clintwood.

My thoughts on this is that instead of giving the district champ an automatic berth in the playoffs it should be based on points alone. I know some of you say this takes away from the meaning of winning your district but what it does is assure that the top 4 or 6 teams make the playoffs. And i also think that every region on this side of the state only needs top 4 teams in the playoff. The playoff are an honor to be in, it should not be given just because you worked hard through the year. every team works hard, should every team be given a championship.

Hurley was given the same chance as every other school win your district and your in, doesent matter who else you played. Life is full of ups and downs and thats how it is, im sure those kids are taking it rough but thats life. They wont be taking it any harder than all of the other teams who didnt make it in, or the four schools in the region that wont be playing anymore after next week.

and does the flu only affect hurley while haysi and honaker are completly immune to it? Because nobody told me.

Hurley had a great season but wanting to call special meetings, crying and whyning as well as all of that other bs just cheapens this season and what those boys did.

My senior year team had three losses to three good teams, the rest of the teams we played were soft. We missed the playoffs, oh well too bad! Enjoy what you had not cry about what you dont!!

Hurley is a small school and falls back on its enrollment as a reason for only playing teams its size (an arguement I have made for haysi on many occasions) but clintwood has an enrollment of about 300 and JIB is just over 200, thats about hurleys size so dont talk about those schools like they are HUGE, they are just good.

Thomas Walker and Lee play several KY schools as well.

I absolutely agree.....Hurley and Appalachia had a good season but they didnt get the job done and win the district. These fans and parents on here crying about it take away form waht a good season they had. Let it be. Hurley had a great season one of the best in years becasue you actually competed in the district. It dont matter because nobody in D1 can even come within 30 poitns of Clintwood or Burton.

My thoughts on this is that instead of giving the district champ an automatic berth in the playoffs it should be based on points alone..

If you get rid of the District system the next VHSL will wont to get rid of the region system and go to a point system that will make it even worse. If they only took the top 16 teams in points how many A teams from this end of the state would be in and how many AA teams in their grouping?

I absolutely agree.....Hurley and Appalachia had a good season but they didnt get the job done and win the district. These fans and parents on here crying about it take away form waht a good season they had. Let it be. Hurley had a great season one of the best in years becasue you actually competed in the district. It dont matter because nobody in D1 can even come within 30 poitns of Clintwood or Burton.

I don't know who you are and who you are refering to about crying....but your answers are not justified in any way....it is what it is....why do we only have 4 spots when everyone else has 6 why is it a big deal to add two more spots just like everyone else....you can say a lot of things such as DESERVING, NOT WINNING THE DISTRICT, AND ALL THE OTHER REASONS YOU GUYS HAVE COME UP WITH, but it comes down to the real question....why would it bother you guys if you didnt think Hurley was a threat in some way....why do we just have 4 spots.....if its the principals in the region, why in the world was it not voted on the same as the rest of the schools....can you make a difference in schools that way or what...maybe I might be stepping on some toes...but we all need to be treated the same and have the same 6 opportunity spots as the rest.....so you stop your:mad: negative comments ...I'm just trying to determine what is the difference if it was voted on why they didn't treat us the same...as everyone else....

I don't know who you are and who you are refering to about crying....but your answers are not justified in any way....it is what it is....why do we only have 4 spots when everyone else has 6 why is it a big deal to add two more spots just like everyone else....you can say a lot of things such as DESERVING, NOT WINNING THE DISTRICT, AND ALL THE OTHER REASONS YOU GUYS HAVE COME UP WITH, but it comes down to the real question....why would it bother you guys if you didnt think Hurley was a threat in some way....why do we just have 4 spots.....if its the principals in the region, why in the world was it not voted on the same as the rest of the schools....can you make a difference in schools that way or what...maybe I might be stepping on some toes...but we all need to be treated the same and have the same 6 opportunity spots as the rest.....so you stop your:mad: negative comments ...I'm just trying to determine what is the difference if it was voted on why they didn't treat us the same...as everyone else....

Heck, why don't we just let everyone in...why stop at six? I bet in a six team system, team number seven would say that they deserved to be in. Not every region in the state is doing the six team playoff. So your argument that every other region does it is nonsense. You act like Hurley was the victim of some sort of conspiracy to keep them out of the playoffs.