Why?

bluemom

does the girls varsity at Richlands have 5 or 6 girls not playing basketball this year? What could be the problem? I think a couple are three year starters and a couple got alot of playing time. Could there be trouble with the "FAMILY"

Wow 5. Really??? Hopefully its just a rumor. I would find it hard to believe 5 girls would not be returning. If so that is really sad. Sad for the JV program considering you will have to move so many up that may not be ready. Whose coaching varsity this year?

I'm just going to be honest...It does not surprise me in the least that there are a lot of girls who aren't playing basketball from Richlands. Richlands is a good school, but their girst varsity program has been terrible for a long time. They haven't even been decent since the days of Jenny Keene. I'm not trying to hate on the Lady Tornados, I'm just trying to be honest and say that if the Richlands program stands a chance then they are going to have to do many things different.

I could say that several things probably have happened.

1. It's customary for kids especially girls to stop playing as they get older. Girls find boyfriends and practice and games take dating time away from them. Some kids decide to work and other decide to concentrate on a specific sport.

2. I know a few girls who are not playing because of the girl drama and parent competition which is fueled by Palmer. Many are tired of hearing just how good Reagan and Brittany are. I watched these two the other night when they lost to Tazewell and I will have to say Reagan can play at the varsity level -- she has her head, however, Brittany needs to learn some self control. It is my opinion that Brittany thinks she is a one woman show and she does not depend on her teammates -- I was not impressed at all and she had 20+ points.

3. The pressure put on kids from their parents and the community to win -- when in all reality they have not had the basketball athletes out to win. Kids begin to feel that they can't satisfy anyone and get tired of hearing the negative so they take themselves out of the mix.

I hope that anyone who is not playing has made this decision for themselves.

1. It's customary for kids especially girls to stop playing as they get older. Girls find boyfriends and practice and games take dating time away from them. Some kids decide to work and other decide to concentrate on a specific sport.

2. I know a few girls who are not playing because of the girl drama and parent competition which is fueled by Palmer. Many are tired of hearing just how good Reagan and Brittany are. I watched these two the other night when they lost to Tazewell and I will have to say Reagan can play at the varsity level -- she has her head, however, Brittany needs to learn some self control. It is my opinion that Brittany thinks she is a one woman show and she does not depend on her teammates -- I was not impressed at all and she had 20+ points.

3. The pressure put on kids from their parents and the community to win -- when in all reality they have not had the basketball athletes out to win. Kids begin to feel that they can't satisfy anyone and get tired of hearing the negative so they take themselves out of the mix.

Brittany and Regan make each other better and to say that you are not impressed with one that just boggles my mind. They will be great additions to the basketball program in Richlands.

Reagan is very good player, but Brittany is the best 8th grade player that I've seen in a long time. She is going to be a start for Richlands or whatever team she decides to play for. I would love to see her play for our local high school team. She would be a started and star as a freshman for us.

I never doubt Brittany's ability -- she will and should start, but her concept of team was not observed and that is something that she must work on. Sometimes you have kids that are mentally capable to play at a higher level and sometimes you have kids that are physically capable to play at a higher level - and the transition to varsity from middle school is a big step -- she needs to work on being a team member -- not the team. If she can improve her disposition her team will help her transition and she will be a force to be reckoned with by mid season next year.

I never doubt Brittany's ability -- she will and should start, but her concept of team was not observed and that is something that she must work on. Sometimes you have kids that are mentally capable to play at a higher level and sometimes you have kids that are physically capable to play at a higher level - and the transition to varsity from middle school is a big step -- she needs to work on being a team member -- not the team. If she can improve her disposition her team will help her transition and she will be a force to be reckoned with by mid season next year.

Why dont you get the stats from the coach.....every game she has the second most team assists. If you dont call that being a team member then maybe your expectations are to high. Furthermore, shes not a woman as you posted earlier she just turned 14. I believe that would still make her a child. Its really easy for some to use this website to call out certain athletes to degrade and put them down but not thinking of the consequences of your words. You bashed the Richlands mafia for singling out players on the floor and you are no better. At least they don't hide behind a name.

I was not trying to bash her -- I was just giving my opinion -- she is a good athlete - she should start varsity next year. I hope she can listen to some constructive critical remarks and work on getting better. I don't know if anyone ever realizes it - but college coaches are looking for a total package.

I don't think anything I said about her compares to the antics of the Mafia - but if you do you are really sensitive.

Brittany has good genetics - her mother was a stand out athlete at Tazewell and still holds a couple of track records - and Brittany has a good environment -- her step-father was one of the best basketball players Richlands has ever had. She has dedicated herself at a very young age to a sport and is really good -- but she can be better. She has the tools and the support.

4. A coach who has a record of 18-80 in the last six years. A coach who has not developed any talent. I guess the girls that are returning are not very good. Why? Because cochran could not develop the girls. So these girls that are coming up are just good basketball players. These girls have played and worked the last 4 or 5 years. Who has helped these kids work? Let's see no it is not moose cochran, I believe it was Coach Palmer. So I believe Coach Palmer has helped this basketball program more than anyone in the program. How many camps did cochran take the girls to during the summer the last six years. It should be at least 20 camps but I would imagine it has been 3 or 4

5. The girls didn't come back to play because the current coach is more concerned about what flavor of ICE CREAM to make on the way to basketall games instead of getting the girls prepared to play.

I was not trying to bash her -- I was just giving my opinion -- she is a good athlete - she should start varsity next year. I hope she can listen to some constructive critical remarks and work on getting better. I don't know if anyone ever realizes it - but college coaches are looking for a total package.

I don't think anything I said about her compares to the antics of the Mafia - but if you do you are really sensitive.

Brittany has good genetics - her mother was a stand out athlete at Tazewell and still holds a couple of track records - and Brittany has a good environment -- her step-father was one of the best basketball players Richlands has ever had. She has dedicated herself at a very young age to a sport and is really good -- but she can be better. She has the tools and the support.

To me she is the total package. First of all she can shoot the 3, pull up and shoot the jumper and of course put it on the floor. She is great foul shooter also. She is a very good defensive player and rebounder. She can also set up her teammates to score also. Like I said in my earlier post she is the best 8th grade player that I have seen in a long time. I've been coaching basketball for the past 8 years and haven't seen one better.

I'm amazed that some are "critiquing" a young lady barely in her teens, that is obviously way beyond her age level in basketball skills....by suggesting she should also have an "adult" thinking process to match. My, oh my, how times have changed....did any of us have "adult" processing skills when we were that age.....hardly. I couldn't imagine reading some of this "stuff" and being that young.

Edited by trublue

I've never posted on this site before but I feel I have to in this case. I have worked with literally 100's of athletes in this region. RHS, HHS, LHS, and THS. I have to say though, I have never seen a more dedicated group than Brittany, Reagan, and Paxton. I really don't know much about some of the other girls so I cannot speak for them. Those 3 though are constantly playing ball and working on there games. Reagan and Brittany both handle the ball as well as any varsity girls I have seen. I think they play a style of ball that is more modern than most of us are used to. I have yet to see an 8th grade girl that can stop Brittany one on one. She plays with more heart than anyone you will ever see. The other teams consistently try to knock her down and put larger girls on her. That's the only way they can stop her. The fact that she gives the ball up at all is a testament to what Joe and Karen have taught her. If you knew you were the best player on the court and nobody could stop you, would you give the rock up? I doubt it!

The nucleus that the team has plays GREAT as a team. They play that way because of the dedication of the girls and their parents. Why don't we just let them develop and not critique them so much. This is a group of 13 & 14 yr old girls. They ARE learning how to play as a team and they will be hard to beat in 4 years when they are seniors. The only thing that's going to stop that is people singling out parents and kids to the point where they don't want to play or they go play somewhere else.

In closing, if Brittany was my daughter and I had to put up with some of the things that folks have said about her due to jealousy or whatever, I'd have her transferred to Oak Hill or some other private school. Heck folks let's just let them be kids and have a little fun!

Sorry this has rambled on! GO BIG BLUE!

I've never posted on this site before but I feel I have to in this case. I have worked with literally 100's of athletes in this region. RHS, HHS, LHS, and THS. I have to say though, I have never seen a more dedicated group than Brittany, Reagan, and Paxton. I really don't know much about some of the other girls so I cannot speak for them. Those 3 though are constantly playing ball and working on there games. Reagan and Brittany both handle the ball as well as any varsity girls I have seen. I think they play a style of ball that is more modern than most of us are used to. I have yet to see an 8th grade girl that can stop Brittany one on one. She plays with more heart than anyone you will ever see. The other teams consistently try to knock her down and put larger girls on her. That's the only way they can stop her. The fact that she gives the ball up at all is a testament to what Joe and Karen have taught her. If you knew you were the best player on the court and nobody could stop you, would you give the rock up? I doubt it!

The nucleus that the team has plays GREAT as a team. They play that way because of the dedication of the girls and their parents. Why don't we just let them develop and not critique them so much. This is a group of 13 & 14 yr old girls. They ARE learning how to play as a team and they will be hard to beat in 4 years when they are seniors. The only thing that's going to stop that is people singling out parents and kids to the point where they don't want to play or they go play somewhere else.

In closing, if Brittany was my daughter and I had to put up with some of the things that folks have said about her due to jealousy or whatever, I'd have her transferred to Oak Hill or some other private school. Heck folks let's just let them be kids and have a little fun!

Sorry this has rambled on! GO BIG BLUE!

I agree with you 100%. I would get her out of Richlands if I were her parents.

• 2 weeks later...