Tazewell Varsity

blow_tornado_dog

Im sure that i'm the only person in the world that may think this way and this applies to many more situations than just this one, but maybe it isnt walker thats the problem. Maybe its the kids? When a Coach isnt doing as well as he has in the past, instead of everyone thinking the Coach needs to be fired, is it possible that the kids just arent any good???? Just a thought....

Im sure that i'm the only person in the world that may think this way and this applies to many more situations than just this one, but maybe it isnt walker thats the problem. Maybe its the kids? When a Coach isnt doing as well as he has in the past, instead of everyone thinking the Coach needs to be fired, is it possible that the kids just arent any good???? Just a thought....

they have some talent on the team, but the real talent is walking the halls. coaching isn't just about X's and O's. it's about how well you can relate you your players to teach them the game. if you can't relate to your players you won't be sucessful. that's why the talent at tazewell either doesn't come out at all, or quits after a few games.

Thanks for that tip about coaching. I'll see if I cant use it in my career..lol...But anyway, not every kid is going to like their coach. Never have, never will. Not every coach is concerned about being a "players coach". When an authority figure raises his or her voice in this day and age, and SWVA is def. one of the worst places for it, kids cant handle it. Administration has become too soft, parents have become too soft, and kids have become too soft. If you love the sport, play the game and do what the coach says. Coach Walker has always been a man that didnt bend in tough situations. He'd finish this season with 5 freshman if thats all that was willing to stay and DO IT HIS WAY. He's paid to DO IT HIS WAY. Kids and parents need to stop whining. The SWVA area isnt as talented as it once was. People need to realize that and realize that expecting the same results is a crazy idea.

Thanks for that tip about coaching. I'll see if I cant use it in my career..lol...But anyway, not every kid is going to like their coach. Never have, never will. Not every coach is concerned about being a "players coach". When an authority figure raises his or her voice in this day and age, and SWVA is def. one of the worst places for it, kids cant handle it. Administration has become too soft, parents have become too soft, and kids have become too soft. If you love the sport, play the game and do what the coach says. Coach Walker has always been a man that didnt bend in tough situations. He'd finish this season with 5 freshman if thats all that was willing to stay and DO IT HIS WAY. He's paid to DO IT HIS WAY. Kids and parents need to stop whining. The SWVA area isnt as talented as it once was. People need to realize that and realize that expecting the same results is a crazy idea.

i realize that, i was just replying to you saying the kids aren't any good. there is talented kids there. they just don't want to play for walker. that's the facts. he might get paid to do things his way, but his way seems to run his players off, which in fact results in a losing record every year. so why would you want a coach that doesn't win? sports is all about winning, and to win these days you need to relate to your players.

Talent is nothing if you have no guts to go with it! Someone gets on your tail and the best you have to offer is "I Quit". Parents, instead of questioning the coach, you should be questioning your parenting skills. Coach Walker is a good man and coach.

Edited by stubbycurrence

Coach Walker, while he isnt the easiest to play for, is a good coach. Sports in tazewell are going down the drain because of 2 P's. (Parents and Politics). If their son or daughter doesnt get to play then its because the coach has something against them, not because he's playin the better players. From personal experience i know coach sometimes can go a little overboard, but its just because he expects the best out of his team. If only the other coaches in Tazewell would do the same, then the athletic programs would be in a much better situation. Our generation doesnt take critisism and yelling well, but once you get in the real world you realize that everything the coaches say are true. The quicker people can realize this, the quicker sports can be back into prominence.

Talent is nothing if you have no guts to go with it! Someone gets on your tail and the best you have to offer is "I Quit". Parents, instead of questioning the coach, you should be questioning your parenting skills. Coach Walker is a good man and coach.

i never said he wasn't a good coach. he is, and he knows the game very well. what i was saying is the players don't want to play for him. and there's no way to change that. Unless something drastically changes he will continue to lost players and lose games.

Coach Walker, while he isnt the easiest to play for, is a good coach. Sports in tazewell are going down the drain because of 2 P's. (Parents and Politics). If their son or daughter doesnt get to play then its because the coach has something against them, not because he's playin the better players. From personal experience i know coach sometimes can go a little overboard, but its just because he expects the best out of his team. If only the other coaches in Tazewell would do the same, then the athletic programs would be in a much better situation. Our generation doesnt take critisism and yelling well, but once you get in the real world you realize that everything the coaches say are true. The quicker people can realize this, the quicker sports can be back into prominence.

You hit the nail on the head when you said " he is not the easiest coach to play for." Hell, if playing sports was easy, than every kid in school would be playing. It is WORK to play and meet the demands of playing. It is not little league anymore. The faster people realize that little johnny is not the next super star and with a little help from a coach, he may become a man.

And what im trying to tell you is that these kids have to learn to deal with authority without quitting. When things get hard, all anybody wants to do is quit and blame the coach. It doesnt matter what coach is there, the talent isnt there. Somebody has to win the districts in SWVA, I understand that, but when it comes to post season play not many people in our area will be successful against teams from other areas in basketball. Those days are long gone. Coach Walker, as Tax said earlier, is trying to teach kids responsibility. He doesnt give kids a free ride and let them do what they want all the time. In a way, he is the boss and they are the employee. When these guys get into the real world, all they are going to know is if their boss makes them do something they dont like they should just quit. Parents used to want kids to play sports because it taught them responsibility and it taught them how to work towards something if they wanted good results. Parents and kids both just want things handed to them these days and dont want to earn anything.

really now? ive seen that guy at games, yelling at the refs and making a butt of him self at the same time making the school look bad.... that guy is out of control at times more times then he should i dont think hes fit to be a coach

Tax, great post.

The bottom line is if you play a team sport, you are agreeing to be part of the team. If you don't want to be part of a team, play golf, tennis or run track.

The other part of your post about parents is truly a shame. You used to see that in youth sports and now it has crept up to HS. I go to a lot of HS games, and am amused at the parents who are coaching their kids from the bleachers. That is tough enough, but the behind the scenes stuff is even worse. I know a very wise "pot-stirrer" once told that was why he quit coaching golf.

Coach Walker's ways may be extreme at times (alot of times haha) but he knows what he is doing. From bein on the court last year to observing now ive seen parent after parent tell there kids how their the best and should be playing every second of every game. Yea, i know parents think their kid is the world but at some point u have to step back and realize YOUR NOT THE COACH. Sit back and enjoy the game haha

Coach Walker's ways may be extreme at times (alot of times haha) but he knows what he is doing. From bein on the court last year to observing now ive seen parent after parent tell there kids how their the best and should be playing every second of every game. Yea, i know parents think their kid is the world but at some point u have to step back and realize YOUR NOT THE COACH. Sit back and enjoy the game haha

Coach Walker is trying to establish a program with some discipline and if some of the players can't take a little discipline then he doesn't need to have someone like that in the program. Its impossible to coach players that doesn't have discipline. TaX just said the rest of it here and in his other post.