No Threads about Colts-Saints? Come On, Slackers!

Your reactions to the game?

Drew Brees played a helluva game. He couldn't have scripted one any better, TBH. The Saints executed perfectly in all phases of the game. The defense made the plays necessary to prevent Manning from establishing a rhythm, and the offense managed the clock and made the crucial plays to sustain drives and keep the Peyton and his offense on the sidelines. Take into account special teams play, and the Saints win that battle too. Great onside kick and recovery along with the Saints' kicker going 3 for 3 from 40+ yards.

I will say this though, if the Saints would've lost then Sean Payton would be forced into hiding for several days. The failed 4th and goal didn't blow up in his face, but if it did then that wouldn't have boded well, for sure. Also, hypothetically, what if the Colts gain possession on the onside kick and, with a short field to work with, Manning marches down the field for a touchdown? I'm a firm believer that one play doesn't necessarily win or lose a game, but sometimes I make exceptions. I do know for a fact that the media would be gawking over this for days if my hypothetical scenario just happened to play out.

All in all, not a bad Super Bowl, to say the least. I was talking with several of my buddies last night as we were watching the game and we all agreed that, for the most part, the past several Super Bowls have turned out to be excellent games. The last 3-4 years have come down to late 4th quarter heroics, and has made for story book endings. Those are the games that I like to see, especially since my Cowboys haven't sniffed a Super Bowl in just about three-quarters of my lifetime. ;)

Drew Brees played a helluva game. He couldn't have scripted one any better, TBH. The Saints executed perfectly in all phases of the game. The defense made the plays necessary to prevent Manning from establishing a rhythm, and the offense managed the clock and made the crucial plays to sustain drives and keep the Peyton and his offense on the sidelines. Take into account special teams play, and the Saints win that battle too. Great onside kick and recovery along with the Saints' kicker going 3 for 3 from 40+ yards.

I will say this though, if the Saints would've lost then Sean Payton would be forced into hiding for several days. The failed 4th and goal didn't blow up in his face, but if it did then that wouldn't have boded well, for sure. Also, hypothetically, what if the Colts gain possession on the onside kick and, with a short field to work with, Manning marches down the field for a touchdown? I'm a firm believer that one play doesn't necessarily win or lose a game, but sometimes I make exceptions. I do know for a fact that the media would be gawking over this for days if my hypothetical scenario just happened to play out.

All in all, not a bad Super Bowl, to say the least. I was talking with several of my buddies last night as we were watching the game and we all agreed that, for the most part, the past several Super Bowls have turned out to be excellent games. The last 3-4 years have come down to late 4th quarter heroics, and has made for story book endings. Those are the games that I like to see, especially since my Cowboys haven't sniffed a Super Bowl in just about three-quarters of my lifetime. ;)

I agree about Brees, I thought his performance this year could arguably be Top 10 in Super Bowl history as far as QBs go (behind Montana [XXIV], Simms [XX], Young [XXIX], D. Williams [XXII], Bradshaw [XIII], and Brady [XXXVIII]). Just a superb game, and it was set up for Brees to do well. No huge shots downfield, just safe intermediate routes. Given that there were 3 drops and 1 spike, that takes 32-39 and makes it virtually 35-38.

I, too, would have went for it on 4th-and-goal there. I would have DEFINITELY run a different play, like a play action...the Colts would have bit on that harder than a shark. Hartley was automatic, though: in a season where kickers are so bad, this Super Bowl saw probably one of the Top 5 kicking performances in Super Bowl history, too. But I agree, the media would've really torn into Payton had the 1st half not worked out right.

A great Super Bowl, I say. Very clean game, too, just the 1 INT-TD. BALLSY call on the onside kick, and it was executed flawlessly. And like you say, anyone but Dallas!

Guest JJBrickface

Was the Saints relation to Hurricane Katrina overdramatized by the media??

I agree its great for the city but when ESPN and everyone is saying that the city of New Orleans "needed" this then I think its overplayed. Hurricane Katrina happened 5 years ago and the city bounced back very nicely. It didn't take a football game 5 years later to make it happen.

Was the Saints relation to Hurricane Katrina overdramatized by the media??

I agree its great for the city but when ESPN and everyone is saying that the city of New Orleans "needed" this then I think its overplayed. Hurricane Katrina happened 5 years ago and the city bounced back very nicely. It didn't take a football game 5 years later to make it happen.

I agree. While I think that it was just something easy for ESPN to talk about, I'm sure there is still a vast amount of emotional damage within the city.

The people living in New Orleans who lost loved ones and all of their belongings are probably still grieving, and to see the success story of not only the city, but from where they have personally come from, might be therapeutic in a sense.

But yes, infrastructure-wise, if you would've told me 5 years ago that New Orleans would be where it is today after a hurricane, I would have a hard time believing you.

being a saints fan...but I am sure the bandwagon is going to be hot around town.

A friend of mine has been a Saints fans since we were in junior high...30 years ago...

Great game to watch, I wanted the Saints to win, mainly because of what the city has been through and the fact that they had never been to a SuperBowl in the 44 yrs of there program, so everything kinda played out in story book fashion with everything revolving around the number 44 (the 44th president,Saints have been in the league 44yrs, Superbowl 44 etc...) I also believe that with everything that happend with the Hurricane will uplift the city and help them move on, i mean they are still rebuilding and to think that the Saints facility was the one place that they had to go when the Hurricane was over.

I was for Peyton Manning and the Saints.

Manning is my favorite QB so I wanted him to win his 2nd ring.

But I wanted the Saints to win just because of the story and how 4 years ago there was basically no New Orleans because Hurricane Katrina.

being a saints fan...but I am sure the bandwagon is going to be hot around town.

My GF lived in New Orleans for a few years when she was little. Her Dad took her to a game in the Superdome and she has been a die-hard fan ever since. She's already ordered her champions shirt from NFL shop and it should arrive this weekend.