state tourney info

VHSLhelper

For you first-timers : the A/AA state tourney is this weekend at the Salem Civic Center. It's not a "combined" tourney, where you'd have 1 final champ in each wt. class, but a "combination event", like the Va. Duals - AA on the front mats and A or the far end.

WRESTLERS : On Thursday, mats will be available from 5:00 - 7:30 for practice. Weigh-ins are at 7:30 a.m. with the first matches at 9:30 both days.

FANS : Each day has 2 sessions. Admission is $10 per session or $25 for all 4.

Kids 6 & under get in free.

Session 1 : 9:30-5 ish Friday : 1st round & 1st consol. round (about 1:00).

Session 2 : 6-11 ish : quarter-finals, then 2nd consol. round (about 8:45).

Session 3 : 9:30-4 ish Saturday : semi-finals & 2 consol. rounds, then 7th, 5th & 3rd place matches start around 1:30 ish.

Session 4 : 6-10 ish : walk of (past) champs, then finalist introductions - expect finals to start around 6:45; then awards/trophies/medals.

Tidbits :

When you go in, Grundy fans go to the left, C'burg to the right.

"Festival" seating - 1st come, 1st served.

The arena WILL be cleared between sessions and "trash" will be gathered. Do NOT leave something behind (like a program) and expect it to be there when you return.

Expect LONG lines - only 2 double-doors go into seating from the lobby, and they search backpacks, bags and purses. NO outside food/drinks allowed in the arena area (this means no coolers), so finish it up while in line in the lobby.

(Typically, a group would leave one person behind to sit in line while the rest went, then bring him back something. He'd then take in 3 or 4 coats/jackets and "save" seats for his group, which would be up to 30 minutes later getting in.)

Smoking is allowed outside the building (through a "side" door, so you don't HAVE to go out front and stand in line to come back in).

Clothing, programs and updated brackets are ONLY sold in the front lobby

(and you WILL get checked when you return to the seating, so get them before you go in or on your way out).

In the past, if you bought a program, you got free brackets for EITHER A or AA throughout the weekend if you show them your program - if you want both, you have to pay a little extra.

(The Friday morning brackets will NOT be 100% accurate if a kid fails to make weight that morning - they're printed on Thursday.)

NO drink machines are in the seating area - it's concession stands or nothing.

The lobby has (or had) a couple, but they may be turned off and/or they may offer only non-soda drinks - I've not been there in a year, so I'm not sure about this.

unofficial brackets may be posted at

http://www.virginiawrestling.com/forum/index.php

(AA pairings are already listed, but not in bracket form.

I really don't expect A brackets to be done by anyone, since no one has a complete list of results from Region A.

Demonizer will prob. be posting updated brackets F/S on the C'burg web site.)

I'll be there, but won't have much time to post updates.

http://www.vhsl.org/athletics/wrestling_boys/wrestling_tournament_information

http://www.salemciviccenter.com/

know anyone at the RNP?

Just gonna say, we have the lines, too, and we don't get to go in early... the lobby is a log-jam 15 minutes before the doors open.

Holler at me when you see me... should get there around 6 Fri. eve. I spend most of the non-finals time in nose-bleed... left (Grundy) side, 2nd tunnel, top row, on the scaffolding platform, or very close by.

know anyone at the RNP?

Just gonna say, we have the lines, too, and we don't get to go in early... the lobby is a log-jam 15 minutes before the doors open.

Holler at me when you see me... should get there around 6 Fri. eve. I spend most of the non-finals time in nose-bleed... left (Grundy) side, 2nd tunnel, top row, on the scaffolding platform, or very close by.

if i get to go i will give you a shout....PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a CD of the Dealer album.

If you go, bring it with ya. I'll be there for most of 2, most of 3 (gotta hit hospitality sometime) and on the floor for 4.

I was just thinkin'... maybe bigd will be tied up with hoops and you could shoot Mc for the paper... dunno if Cox shoots for RNP or not. Of course, don't know if you have a pro. camera or not.

(and maybe I'll have time to clean out my PM box this weekend)

Edited by VHSLhelper

If you go, bring it with ya. I'll be there for most of 2, most of 3 (gotta hit hospitality sometime) and on the floor for 4.

I was just thinkin'... maybe bigd will be tied up with hoops and you could shoot Mc for the paper... dunno if Cox shoots for RNP or not. Of course, don't know if you have a pro. camera or not.

(and maybe I'll have time to clean out my PM box this weekend)

I've got an ok camera...just don't know how to use it yet...LOL.

This post is a little off topic, but I went to the state tourney about three years ago and I was very disappointed in the facility. The Salem Civic Ctr is not very impressive. And the food rules and all the other rules about entering and leaving is just so not needed. It is totally unthinkable that you cant take any food items in but have to pay for over priced "crap" food. They had to place trash cans around the mats to catch rain water where to roof was leaking. I think its a total crap hole but I'm sure there is a legitimate reason VHSL uses the place. It would be nice to see another facility used, like maybe the Virginia Tech coliesum.

what diff. does it make how the place looks???????

While the trash can was on mat 7, did you have to sit there for 2 hours with nothing to do? No, wait... that was DAYTONA

seriously? Heard this stuff the past 5 years.

I've got an idea... let's go back Feb. 21, 1992... Hampton U. We had to show ID to get in the gate AND were questioned by security because nobody from across the state would drive that far for a wrestling match.

Or we could do like they do in AAA and have it at one of the schools. Let's see.... SCC was built in 1967. Don't know much about the history of schools out that way, but my sis was at Tech in the mid 70's when Blacksburg opened their new HS, and I rem. watching a Grundy girls playoff game there around '80. Their gym has to be newer and look better, right? Oh, wait....

We could urge Roanoke to go ahead and build that bigger CC, and tix would prob. be $20 per session, but they can't even build a pavillion without councilmen being voted out of office over it.

And please tell me what sporting events (other than NASCAR) you go to that allow you to BYOF inside, and have reasonably priced, delicious food on site.

Simple fact is, only places that I know that has room for 8 mats and thousands of (FREE!) parking spaces is SCC & Hampton Coliseum. Colleges have m/w B'ball going on, which is another headache, and limited parking.

Yes, they have problems, esp. when it comes to the media, but it's still a lot better than any viable alternative anyone's thrown out.

The first hour or 2 can be a bit overwhelming, but once you get the hang of everything, it's great. Brackets are a MUST-HAVE... match numbers and wt. classes are constantly updated beside all 8 mats so you can know who's there & who's next.