BSC kills two birds with one stone...

GMan

http://bdtonline.com/collegesports/x993492485/Different-direction-for-BSC-hoops

Different direction for BSC hoops

By BRIAN WOODSON Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Bluefield State is looking for a basketball coach.

Actually, two of them.

According to Bluefield State Director of Media Relations Jim Nelson, neither Bluefield State head basketball coach will have their contracts renewed when they expire on June 30.

That includes ninth-year women’s coach Gary Brown, and sixth-year boys coach Don Jones.

“There was a meeting between the coaches and administrative officials at the college late last week,” Nelson said. “A decision was made that it was time for the college to go in a different direction with both programs.

“Both coaches were notified that their contracts will not be renewed.”

Bluefield State President Dr. Albert Walker said that a search process has not begun, with the school first wanting to following the proper college protocol “in order to be fair to all involved.”

Walker said he would “hold off on making any further statements” for now.

Both of Bluefield State’s programs have struggled mightily in recent seasons, consistently finishing at or near the bottom of the competitive West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

That includes the recently-completed 2010 campaign that ended with the women posting a 1-26 mark, and the Big Blues’ men’s squad finishing 3-25.

That lack of success has also apparently caused a lack of fan interest, if the relatively small audiences at Blues’ home games are any indication.

Both clubs have struggled with retention, with players leaving the program, either because of injuries, academic issues or declining interest in the sport.

The Lady Blues were especially hit hard by departures in recent seasons, often down to five or six players at times.

A product of West Virginia Tech, Brown recently completed his ninth season, arriving at Bluefield State from Mount View High School in Welch in 2001.

The Bluefield State women’s program, which has won four WVIAC titles — with the last coming in 1993 ‚ were 44-204 (.177 winning percentage) under Brown, including a 9-18 mark in ‘06 that was the Lady Blues’ best mark since an 10-17 record in ‘01.

They haven’t advanced past the first round of the WVIAC tournament since 1998. The Lady Blues were 26-144 in the league during Brown’s tenure.

The Bluefield State’s men’s program, which won the WVIAC tournament title in 1996, were 23-146 (.136) since Jones took over prior to the 2004-05 campaign, and 18-98 in the WVIAC.

Jones, a Bluefield State graduate, who came from a successful stint with Graham High School, did lead the Blues to 10 wins in 2006, the Blues’ first double-digit victory total since claiming 11 wins in ‘97.

Bluefield State also advanced to the second round of the league tourney in ‘06 for the first since winning the title in ‘96.

Brown had four years with four or fewer wins, while Jones had five campaigns with three wins or less. Neither team finished higher than 11th in the WVIAC.

Nelson pointed out that Bluefield State has had some periods of success with both programs, and that history should help in the search process. He also said that Dr. Walker ‘always likes to look for the best candidate available.’

The search for new coaches will begin in the near future.

“The college is in the preparatory search for two basketball coaches,” Nelson said.

Attempts to reach Brown and Jones were unsuccessful.

—Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

About the only times that I stepped foot in Ned Shott was for my high school graduation ceremony and to watch Bluefield High School basketball games. BSC men's teams were almost a disgrace to the game of basketball and I never once attended BSC games

I'm glad somebody did something.

If you are the coach, there are only a few reasonable explanations for going 3-25 and 1-26. Those include: "we just started this program from scratch", "we are transitioning from D-II to D-I", and "my team died in an accident". That's pretty much it.

Do "I have no financial support" and "my recruits would have no place to live if they moved here to play for me" count as reasonable explanations?

Do "I have no financial support" and "my recruits would have no place to live if they moved here to play for me" count as reasonable explanations?

Not for records THAT bad. It justifies a poor team, not an "OMG TERRIBLE" team. Ideally, a coach wouldn't be recruiting kids from anywhere outside WV/VA/KY/TN/NC/MD/PA to play basketball. It's not like there's literally NO kids from that area that wouldn't be willing to get some tuition assistance, a room, and some food to play some ball. And it's not impossible work a little and get a little living assistance to living expenses.

Now, if Bluefield State didn't offer their players ANYTHING AT ALL, I'd reconsider.

Not for records THAT bad. It justifies a poor team, not an "OMG TERRIBLE" team. Ideally, a coach wouldn't be recruiting kids from anywhere outside WV/VA/KY/TN/NC/MD/PA to play basketball. It's not like there's literally NO kids from that area that wouldn't be willing to get some tuition assistance, a room, and some food to play some ball. And it's not impossible work a little and get a little living assistance to living expenses.

Now, if Bluefield State didn't offer their players ANYTHING AT ALL, I'd reconsider.

Yeah, I wonder how much assistance they're given. Does anyone know that?

No on-campus housing is a killer for BSC athletics...

Definitely a killer. Does BSC give scholarships for sports? And how much financial support would a sports program get? It seems like a job that is destined for failure whichever way you look at it. I find it funny that the the administration cares enough to "move in a different direction".

Definitely a killer. Does BSC give scholarships for sports? And how much financial support would a sports program get? It seems like a job that is destined for failure whichever way you look at it. I find it funny that the the administration cares enough to "move in a different direction".

Yeah. If the administration is that bereft of funding, then the best thing to do is cancel the program.

Hell, BSC took over the old Ramada hotel on Cumberland Road and made it a dorm building a few years ago. Granted, it's not on campus, but something is better than nothing at all.

Hell, BSC took over the old Ramada hotel on Cumberland Road and made it a dorm building a few years ago. Granted, it's not on campus, but something is better than nothing at all.

Not if you don't have transportation...

Being that I played for BSC I tend to take up for some things. Not having a dorm is killing the programs. I know that there weren't any dorms back when we were some what good but there are also no local kids good enough to make the program turn around. The ones that are leave town and I don't blame them. If there is any kid in the area that could help the team please let me know. Other than Craig I dont see one and I hope he finds a place real soon. Also BSC only pays for tuition. The fees and books are not included in the athletic scholarships. That included with not getting a good meal on a regular basis has a lot to do with how things are turning out. 1 more thing and I might be quiet. LOL!!! Neither of these coaches has legitimate help!!! With no assistants how good are you supposed to be? How can the recruiting be done? High schools have better systems in place than my beloved BSC and that's bad.

The Bluefield transit buses will do fine!

Not when you have practice before 8 AM or after 5PM...or get home from a road game at 3 AM...or on weekends...

Being that I played for BSC I tend to take up for some things. Not having a dorm is killing the programs. I know that there weren't any dorms back when we were some what good but there are also no local kids good enough to make the program turn around. The ones that are leave town and I don't blame them. If there is any kid in the area that could help the team please let me know. Other than Craig I dont see one and I hope he finds a place real soon. Also BSC only pays for tuition. The fees and books are not included in the athletic scholarships. That included with not getting a good meal on a regular basis has a lot to do with how things are turning out. 1 more thing and I might be quiet. LOL!!! Neither of these coaches has legitimate help!!! With no assistants how good are you supposed to be? How can the recruiting be done? High schools have better systems in place than my beloved BSC and that's bad.

Great post! It's not just lack of dorms but lack of any "campus environment". No basketball coach can succeed at BSC!

Great post! It's not just lack of dorms but lack of any "campus environment". No basketball coach can succeed at BSC!

BSC had some really good teams back in the 70s and early/mid 80s...

When you look back at those teams, I'm willing to bet you had alot of local talent. The team that we had that ended up winning the conference tourn. We only had 3 guys that were not from the area and 1 of those 3 was originally from McDowell Co. We also had 3 coaches and a trainer that made the road trips.

Yeah, I wonder how much assistance they're given. Does anyone know that?

When I signed my baseball scholarship I only recieved 1250 dollars which was about half of my tuition...Luckily I was able to receive the pell grant which gave me a decent amount left over to live off of...I hate to say but I regret choosing Bluefield State considering WVU Tech offerered me 3 times the amount BSC did...I was stupid for staying in Bluefield, oh well I guess that's what old flings will get ya...My ex begged me to stay and of course I gave in..Biggest mistake of my life...I know alot of people from James Monroe that stay at the dorms off Cumberland Road and the city buses do a great job getting the students to classes everyday, but I don't know about athletic events and etc..

when i signed my baseball scholarship i only recieved 1250 dollars which was about half of my tuition...luckily i was able to receive the pell grant which gave me a decent amount left over to live off of...i hate to say but i regret choosing bluefield state considering wvu tech offerered me 3 times the amount bsc did...i was stupid for staying in bluefield, oh well i guess that's what old flings will get ya...my ex begged me to stay and of course i gave in..biggest mistake of my life...i know alot of people from james monroe that stay at the dorms off cumberland road and the city buses do a great job getting the students to classes everyday, but i don't know about athletic events and etc..

yup...

There are certainly obstacles at BSC. But the girls team is traditionally all sophomores and freshmen so that certainly is a warning sign that something isn't right. Get the local kids that sign and sit the bench at Concord and the program would improve. Common sense says if the kids cant get to practice at 8 am, you dont schedule practice for 8 am. I know that they take vans from the college to road games, so why not pick up the kids that are staying up on the hill and bring them to practice in the vans. Just a thought.