Richlands 23 Graham 0

GMan

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x1164467822/Richlands-pounds-Graham

Richlands pounds Graham

By MIKE DAVIS Bluefield Daily Telegraph

WARDELL, Va. — — A rivalry was renewed on the diamond on Wednesday evening, as Richlands played host to Graham at Southwest Community College.

Richlands pounded out 16 hits and allowed the G-Men just three on their way to securing a 23-0 Southwest District win.

“We came into the game prepared for Graham,” Richlands head coach Brad Strong said. “We’re not good enough to take anyone lightly and Matt Dixon is going to do a great job with that program and if he sticks with it, he’ll do a great job.”

“We did some good things, but we’re not hungry and we’ve got to get hungry. We’ve got a few fighters, but it’s going to take more than a few.”

Taylor McGhee was the starting pitcher for the Blues (7-4, 4-2), not allowing a hit for three innings, while striking out two and walking four to earn the win. He also brought a big stick in the game by going 3-for-4 with two triples, four RBIs and three runs scored.

Bradley Strong was 2-for-2 with an RBI and four runs scored, while Reece Strong scored four runs and went 3-for-4 with a double. Cody Lockhart was 3-for-4 at the plate for the Tornado with two RBIs and he scored three runs.

The Richlands’ bats opened the game up early and plated five runs in the bottom of the first. Bradley Strong singled and his brother, Reece, doubled him home to put the Tornado on the scoreboard. Lockhart and Eric Mulkey also singled and drove in runs in the inning to further complicate matters for Graham.

The Blues continued their assault in the second inning with McGhee bringing in Horton with an RBI triple, and he scored on a wild pitch for the 7-0 lead.

Graham put themselves in position to narrow the margin when Ryan Monninger, David Marrs and Matt Morgan drew walks, but the bases were left loaded.

Richlands, which travels to Marion on Friday, did more damage in the third, putting together another five-run flurry beginning when Bradley and Reece Strong singled aboard, followed by an RBI single from Cody Lockhart. Horton drew a base on balls, and McGhee helped his own cause with an RBI single.

The Blues added three more runs before the close of the third when Mulkey came around on an double and C.J. Whitt also drove in a run.

Richlands added 11 more in the fourth, and the game was called by the mercy rule in the following inning.

“We made some mental errors and got picked off there in the third inning,” Graham head coach Matt Dixon said. “We’ve got to get rid of some of the attitudes of past history, but if we keep putting the bat on the ball, good things are going to happen.”

Taylor Gearhart and Monninger had a hit apiece for Graham, which travels to Carroll County on Thursday and hosts Abingdon on Friday.

at SWCC

Graham...............................000 00 — 0 3 2

Richlands............................525 (11)x — 23 16 1

WP – McGhee; LP - Marrs

“We made some mental errors and got picked off there in the third inning,” Graham head coach Matt Dixon said. “We’ve got to get rid of some of the attitudes of past history, but if we keep putting the bat on the ball, good things are going to happen.”

1. Complaining about the third inning, when you gave up SEVEN runs in the first two? That's like complaining that the bandaid you put on a hole in your boat didn't stop the leak. Come on, man.

2. Continue to put the bat on the ball? YOU GOT THREE HITS! This besides being shut out and losing by a football-like score. The problem on offense is that the bat's not hitting the ball in the first place!

1. They had runners on base in the 3rd but failed to bring them home.

2. He's saying they aren't hitting safely, but are making contact, and if they "keep putting the bat on the ball good things will happen".

If you want Graham baseball to turn around Matt Dixon can make that happen. Remember, he inherited a mess that will take time to fix. Supporting him rather than criticizing him will help to "get rid of some of the attitudes of past history".

Like Yogi said, "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical".

1. They had runners on base in the 3rd but failed to bring them home.

2. He's saying they aren't hitting safely, but are making contact, and if they "keep putting the bat on the ball good things will happen".

If you want Graham baseball to turn around Matt Dixon can make that happen. Remember, he inherited a mess that will take time to fix. Supporting him rather than criticizing him will help to "get rid of some of the attitudes of past history".

Like Yogi said, "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical".

I understand where he's coming from about the third inning, but I still don't agree with characterizing as he did. You're down 7-0 after 2 innings. Were I a coach, I might want to focus on such things as these: "developing arms for the future", "making sure my team is better prepared to play", "making sure my team comes out confident and limits first inning runs", "having the fortitude not to give up double-digit runs per inning when you're playing for pride alone". That's what I'm getting at; the quote just seems silly as the coach's #1 focus.

As far as getting bats on the ball, it's true that Richlands only struck out 2 batters. But if a coach's emphasis is solely "getting the bat on the ball", then the offense is DOOMED. That approach neglects the following: pitch selection (lay off an outside 1-1 curve to get to a 2-1 fastball), fouling with 2 strikes (stay alive and make the pitcher make the mistake), swinging through the zone properly (to limit fly balls and allow the runners to move), and ball placement (aim for the holes in the defense, not an impossible task). I hope "getting the bat on the ball" isn't the only thing being preached.

I agree with old Yogi on that once, hence why losing 23-0 isn't a talent thing, or even a fundamentals thing. It's a heart and pride thing. If the "attitude" and "culture" were truly changing, then this team would be improving at least a few iotas throughout the course of the season. I don't see it. Teams that improve don't lose like this against good, not great, competition.

I'll make my decision on Matt Dixon in 4 years. When he has time to work with his young kids in the off-season and see if he can get them a feeder program going. Bashing him is un-justified. He inherited a program that has not had any discipline or structure for a long time. Baseball is a skill sport and those kids have not worked on the skill of baseball very hard. Give Matt time to see if he can work that skill. Also why bash you team in the paper when they just got drilled. Say some positive things and stay up beat.

Graham did lead Richlands in first downs for the first half.

Does soccer or track thin out Graham's baseball talent? Or is baseball just not what cool kids do there?

When do Graham and Grundy drop to single A or is that a definite yet?

Graham did lead Richlands in first downs for the first half.

Does soccer or track thin out Graham's baseball talent? Or is baseball just not what cool kids do there?

When do Graham and Grundy drop to single A or is that a definite yet?

Soccer and track have hurt the baseball program...plus the fact there is no money for baseball. Horrible facilities = low interest.

Soccer should be played in the fall. I don't know about youth soccer in Bluefield, but in Richlands the youth league plays in the fall. That means kids grow up playing both soccer and baseball/softball and then have to choose one or the other when they get to high school. Moving the high school season to the fall would strengthen both sports in my opinion.

Soccer should be played in the fall. I don't know about youth soccer in Bluefield, but in Richlands the youth league plays in the fall. That means kids grow up playing both soccer and baseball/softball and then have to choose one or the other when they get to high school. Moving the high school season to the fall would strengthen both sports in my opinion.

It seems like soccer is a "year-round" sport for many kids...but by playing in the fall, kids would have to choose between soccer and football...

I agree with this, soccer should be a fall sport. Most other states, and the NCAAs, treat soccer as a fall sport. If this area is serious about promoting soccer, it would line up its calendar accordingly. All it does is hurt baseball, and it does: even back in my day, there were 5-6 good baseball players that couldn't come out due to soccer season.

but by playing in the fall, kids would have to choose between soccer and football...

That's true but they're already making that choice long before they reach high school. It's the ones who grow up playing soccer and baseball that have to choose between the two in high school.