VA Group A State Tournament brackets

Baseball

Quarterfinals

Tuesday, June 8

Virginia High 11 Fort Chiswell 10, 8 inn.

Chatham 13 Northumberland 8

Gate City 7 Glenvar 2

Rappahannock 8 Altavista 1

Semifinals

Friday, June 11, @ Radford University

Virginia High 6 Chatham 5, 10 inn.

Rappahannock 9 Gate City 8

Championship

Saturday, June 12, @ Radford University

Rappahannock 4 Virginia High 3...game susp. in the 7th, to resume Sunday

Championship

Sunday, June 13, @ Radford University

Rappahannock 7 Virginia High 4

Softball

Quarterfinals

Tuesday, June 8

Coeburn 1 Holston 1...game susp. after 17 inn., due to darkness, to resume Wed.

Nandua 5 Appomattox County 0

Virginia High 4 Bath County 1.

Gretna 6 Mathews 3, 10 inn.

Wednesday, June 9

Holston 2 Coeburn 1, 18 inn.

Semifinals

Friday, June 11, @ Veteran's Park, Radford

Holston 4 Nandua 3, 10 inn.

Gretna 6 Virginia High 4

Championship

Saturday, June 12, @ Radford University

Gretna 5 Holston 1, 10 a.m.

Edited by Beamerball

Went back and checked the bracket listed on the VHSL's site to make sure I put that down as it was because I didn't really notice it then, and that's indeed what it says. I'm sure its actually supposed to be a 10 a.m. start like softball instead of p.m. Thanks for pointing it out, didn't catch it before, haha.

Edited by Beamerball

• 2 weeks later...

i still cant get over Va High beating Honaker...they didn't win state, but way to go knocking off probably the best team in the state.

Honaker best time in the state? Not even close, they was a good team but saying there the best in the state is a little too much.

Honaker best time in the state? Not even close, they was a good team but saying there the best in the state is a little too much.

I would say one of the better teams in the state this year. Next year maybe they just might be the best team in the state they only had one senior this year and they had one of the better pitching staffs in the state this year.

Adding some more teams like Abingdon would probably be a good help for them. Strength of schedule again, like last year, was the question with Honaker. This was the second year that they rolled through the regular season and then were pounded pretty good in the postseason.

one of the best teams in the state then...

one of the best teams in the state then...

I still say that is just a little too much credit. They went undefeated playing in the Bdd, everybody in that district sucked this year except for them (no offense but its the truth.) They got lucky to beat Abingdon the one time and the last game of the regular season they barley beat Haysi 1-0.

They was a really good ballclub...but there not as good as Poquoson, Potomac Falls, Jefferson Forest, Tunstall. Even in Single A I thought Va High, Rappahannock, Gate City was a better ball club all year.

Don't even compare them to some of the VA Beach school's that had players getting drafted to the MLB's right out of high school..

Edited by swvasport_7

I still say that is just a little too much credit. They went undefeated playing in the Bdd, everybody in that district sucked this year except for them (no offense but its the truth.) They got lucky to beat Abingdon the one time and the last game of the regular season they barley beat Haysi 1-0.

They was a really good ballclub...but there not as good as Poquoson, Potomac Falls, Jefferson Forest, Tunstall. Even in Single A I thought Va High, Rappahannock, Gate City was a better ball club all year.

Don't even compare them to some of the VA Beach school's that had players getting drafted to the MLB's right out of high school..

They beat Abingdon 2 times this year and one of the games was in Abingdon. I was at the game you are saying they got luckey and I do not agere it was a hard fought game between 2 very good teams. If Murphey, Miller and Brown keep getting better with their pitching and the hitting improves they will tough to beat. Rember they only had a couple of starters back from last years team next year all but 1 will be back.

They beat Abingdon 2 times this year and one of the games was in Abingdon. I was at the game you are saying they got luckey and I do not agere it was a hard fought game between 2 very good teams. If Murphey, Miller and Brown keep getting better with their pitching and the hitting improves they will tough to beat. Rember they only had a couple of starters back from last years team next year all but 1 will be back.

I never said they wasan't tough, I mean they had a real good year and was a strong ballclub...but to compare them to some of the top teams in the state is going to far.

I never said they wasan't tough, I mean they had a real good year and was a strong ballclub...but to compare them to some of the top teams in the state is going to far.

one of the best teams at A level i think...no doubts.