Va Tech 2010

blueinbama

Frank Beamer has a strong team coming into this season. The offense is expected to be better in spite of the loss of key offensive linemen. Tyrod Taylor will be a key piece in the puzzle, as well as the rest of the passing game. The o-line is definitely a question mark, but that’s also what everyone was saying about Alabama last season after losing their star left tackle Andre Smith, and I’d say they did pretty well without him.

The season begins with Boise State, and that game will be huge. If Va. Tech gets past Boise, there are only a couple of bumps in the road before the toughest part of the schedule comes along. I know I’m getting way ahead of myself, but humor me. Tech could be undefeated going into the Ga. Tech game. They get the Yellow Jackets at home this year, then it’s @NC and @Miami, and Virginia to end the season at home. Could this be the year Va. Tech has a chance to go undefeated and play for the National Championship? I personally think this team is going to be very good, and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see them at or around the top of the rankings in November. What are your thoughts?

Frank Beamer has a strong team coming into this season. The offense is expected to be better in spite of the loss of key offensive linemen. Tyrod Taylor will be a key piece in the puzzle, as well as the rest of the passing game. The o-line is definitely a question mark, but that’s also what everyone was saying about Alabama last season after losing their star left tackle Andre Smith, and I’d say they did pretty well without him.

The season begins with Boise State, and that game will be huge. If Va. Tech gets past Boise, there are only a couple of bumps in the road before the toughest part of the schedule comes along. I know I’m getting way ahead of myself, but humor me. Tech could be undefeated going into the Ga. Tech game. They get the Yellow Jackets at home this year, then it’s @NC and @Miami, and Virginia to end the season at home. Could this be the year Va. Tech has a chance to go undefeated and play for the National Championship? I personally think this team is going to be very good, and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see them at or around the top of the rankings in November. What are your thoughts?

i see VT getting their first. but they have had many chances recently and just messed up one key game..so lets see what they can do

I think they will choke against a team they should beat away from Blacksburg like UNC.

UNC will be strong, especially on defense. Miami away will also be a challenge. I think Ga. Tech and these two games will be Tech’s toughest games.

My bold prediction for the college football season:

The winner of the Boise State/Va. Tech game will play in the national championship.

In a weak conference with an automatic BCS bid, Tech should stroll through with the team they have returning. However, SHOULD is emphasized. They still have the same offensive coordinator and I'm sure they'll still have that incredible ability to choke. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost at Miami as the Hurricanes have a significant amount of experienced returning players. That being said, the Hokies definitely have the ability to go into Landshark/Dolphin/Pro Player/Joe Robbie (only God knows) whatever stadium and pull off a win.

The o-line is definitely a question mark, but that’s also what everyone was saying about Alabama last season after losing their star left tackle Andre Smith, and I’d say they did pretty well without him.

Tech isn't Alabama; Bama now stock-piles talent at every positive with Saban. It took three years for the last Tech offensive line to really jell and play to their potential. I don't have much faith in the OL coach's coaching ability to plug in newcomers with the returning starters and them play well. There's no doubt, however, that if the line play is solid the offense should put up huge numbers.

My bold prediction for the college football season:

The winner of the Boise State/Va. Tech game will play in the national championship.

In a weak conference with an automatic BCS bid, Tech should stroll through with the team they have returning. However, SHOULD is emphasized. They still have the same offensive coordinator and I'm sure they'll still have that incredible ability to choke. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost at Miami as the Hurricanes have a significant amount of experienced returning players. That being said, the Hokies definitely have the ability to go into Landshark/Dolphin/Pro Player/Joe Robbie (only God knows) whatever stadium and pull off a win.

I'd buy your bold prediction.

Your 2nd prediction, "strolling" might be too easy a word to use. The Coastal's not easy.

Tech isn't Alabama; Bama now stock-piles talent at every positive with Saban. It took three years for the last Tech offensive line to really jell and play to their potential. I don't have much faith in the OL coach's coaching ability to plug in newcomers with the returning starters and them play well. There's no doubt, however, that if the line play is solid the offense should put up huge numbers.

Another thing to remember about Alabama this year is that 6 of the last 8 SEC games they play will be against a team coming off a bye week. Even if 'Bama stockpiles talent, it tough to play against fresh(er) SEC teams week in and week out.

And I don't see us getting any further than another 10 win, contend for an ACC Championship, maybe Orange Bowl, maybe Chick-fil-a Bowl season. Yawn.

Another thing to remember about Alabama this year is that 6 of the last 8 SEC games they play will be against a team coming off a bye week. Even if 'Bama stockpiles talent, it tough to play against fresh(er) SEC teams week in and week out.

Mike Slive worked on this scheduling problem during the spring. All these teams scheduling bye weeks before they play Alabama says a lot about how badly these teams want to knock Bama off. It’ll be tough for Bama to go undefeated in the SEC for the third straight year, but if they were to accomplish it with all these teams having bye weeks it would certainly be a special season.