Another VT coach themed resturant closes

I ate there once last year and the food was lousy.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/253511

Bud Foster's Restaurant closes its doors

The Blacksburg eatery closes after nearly two years without making a profit.

The Roanoke Times | File 2008

Robert Hodges and Quinn Hanson, co-owners of Bud Foster's Restaurant in Blacksburg, spent $450,000 to open the restaurant two years ago, Hodges said.

Bud Foster's Restaurant in Blacksburg, home of a lunch-pail menu and American-style dinner fare, has closed because of poor sales.

Co-owners Robert Hodges and Quinn Hanson spent $450,000 to open the restaurant two years ago, Hodges said. They invested an additional $17,000 a week to keep it operating and never made a profit, he added.

"Every week we stayed open, we got deeper and deeper into financial debt," Hodges said. "June was a very tough month."

The restaurant's last day of business was July 3. Thirty-one employees lost their jobs, Hodges said.

The owners of the Turner Street restaurant posted signs that the business was closed for renovations and would reopen soon.

Hodges said they had hoped an investor would revive the business. He's given up on that option but still would like to sell the restaurant's equipment, he said.

Any new owners would need approval from Foster, the defensive coordinator for the Virginia Tech football team, before reopening with the same name, Hodges said.

The restaurant's namesake hadn't invested money in the business.

"He's not happy we're going to have to close it down, but he understands the business aspect," Hodges said.

Edited by bhs7695

I ate there once last year and the food was lousy.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/253511

Bud Foster's Restaurant closes its doors

The Blacksburg eatery closes after nearly two years without making a profit.

The Roanoke Times | File 2008

Robert Hodges and Quinn Hanson, co-owners of Bud Foster's Restaurant in Blacksburg, spent $450,000 to open the restaurant two years ago, Hodges said.

Bud Foster's Restaurant in Blacksburg, home of a lunch-pail menu and American-style dinner fare, has closed because of poor sales.

Co-owners Robert Hodges and Quinn Hanson spent $450,000 to open the restaurant two years ago, Hodges said. They invested an additional $17,000 a week to keep it operating and never made a profit, he added.

"Every week we stayed open, we got deeper and deeper into financial debt," Hodges said. "June was a very tough month."

The restaurant's last day of business was July 3. Thirty-one employees lost their jobs, Hodges said.

The owners of the Turner Street restaurant posted signs that the business was closed for renovations and would reopen soon.

Hodges said they had hoped an investor would revive the business. He's given up on that option but still would like to sell the restaurant's equipment, he said.

Any new owners would need approval from Foster, the defensive coordinator for the Virginia Tech football team, before reopening with the same name, Hodges said.

The restaurant's namesake hadn't invested money in the business.

"He's not happy we're going to have to close it down, but he understands the business aspect," Hodges said.

Ouch.

You've got to have more than someone's name to have a successful restaurant...great food and good service are the best way. Unfortunately, Bud Foster's had neither...

I'd rather hit Bull'n'Bones...great food, good service, excellent beer, and a pretty good selection of Scotch...even if I do drop $100 everytime I go in there...

You could choke on the irony here...

I've not choked up anything yet...waiting....waiting....waiting....still waiting to choke on some of that irony....no.....no....not yet....nope....nothing...uh-oh...wait a sec....<gag><cough><hock>....nope, just some chicken wing bones...

istockphoto_10614435-chicken-wing-bones.jpg</hock></cough></gag>

I wonder if a restaurant open named after Stinesprings what would be the pros and cons of it.

I am awaiting clever responses.....

If VT football was a restaurant:

1. Beamer would be the owner: the face of the franchise, with endless job security.

2. Foster would be a 5-star chef, preparing dishes that kept the fans coming back for more.

3. Stinespring would be the 16-year-old waiter who either sneezes on your food or drops it.

You'd love the owner, be google-eyed over the chef, and gripe and complain incessantly about the waiter.

Did I hit the nail on the head? I think I did.

1. Beamer would be the owner: the face of the franchise, with endless job security.

2. Foster would be a 5-star chef, preparing dishes that kept the fans coming back for more.

3. Stinespring would be the 16-year-old waiter who either sneezes on your food or drops it.

You'd love the owner, be google-eyed over the chef, and gripe and complain incessantly about the waiter.

Haha! Yes sir. Definitely did.

3a.) Stinespring would be the waiter who, every time you walk in, you sigh and say, "He's still here?"

3b) Stinespring would be the busboy who drops all the plates while clearing off the table...

Waiting-movie-10.jpg

Foster's restaurant was at the old Boston Beanery location, as someone mentioned it is just beside BW3. Beamer's restaurant wasn't very good either IMO and way overpriced. Beamer's was supposed to open a new restaurant in the new shopping center recently completed out on South Main street but that never happened either. Probably for the best though. Oh, and I ate at Bud's a few times too and it wasn't anything spectacular.

Maybe Coach Hite can open one soon. His "physique" tends to make me think he knows a little bit about good food.

Beamer's was supposed to open a new restaurant in the new shopping center recently completed out on South Main street but that never happened either.

Those plans are not completely dead yet from what I understand. There is another Beamer themed eatery that just opened in the Hampton area and I believe there will be more of them to open around the Commonwealth.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/va-tech-coach-frank-beamer-open-restaurant-hampton-next-week