My perspective on all topics Richlands

Huntercav

I didn't want to hi-jack another thread about Richlands, so I'll start my own. I've been reading the board for years, but have limited my responses because most of it turns into a pissing contest that nobody ever wins and it all reads more like an elementary school argument than "fans" sharing opinions on a message-board. Hopefully, folks can take this post in the spirit it's given-to give first hand information which is TOTALLY unbiased and truthful. I'll preface by stating that I am not a Richlands fan, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for their program and coach. I don't know any fans of the program other than the folks who post on this forum, so I'll reserve comment.

My son plays for CCHS and has been blessed enough to get attention from many D-1 programs. Ironically, we have shared the Richlands film with several of them for many reasons, primarily to show him competing against a terrific football team. I can tell you without fail that EVERY school has mentioned nothing but the utmost respect for our coach, our effort, and the entire Richlands program-including the fans! #44 was the BEST player on the field in our game-period! I can tell you that the list another poster mentioned doesn't include some other MAJOR programs looking at this kid. I have no idea about his grades or character, but those issues are for others to evaluate and not on a message-board . As I've stated in my few posts, it blows my mind that anybody would get on a message board and disparage a kid, a coach, or a school.

The bottom-line should be to celebrate ANY kid's success and the opportunity which they may have to further their education through the best game in the world-football. Stop the BS about the SW District, players being recruited to high schools, dislike for coaches, or travel to Carroll County, or refs in Carroll County. Get over yourselves and enjoy the GAMES and celebrate the young men who play it! They are asked to put in more time and work and make for sacrifices than most of us can imagine! Also, we should appreciate the time and sacrifices the coaches put into their programs. That doesn't mean we have to like them or agree with them, but those opinions are better shared with buddies in private or with the individuals involved directly. Let the games begin...

Edited by Huntercav

Very good post !

I try to make my post positive as much as I can, but sometimes I let myself get drawn into a comment that I'm not proud of. We all have a lot of pride for our towns and teams and let it get the best of us sometimes when we feel like our own is being attacked, but what I should do is just ignore that type of comment and move on.

I love my town & my team and I'm always going to defend it. But I for one will try to never start a negative post or thread and try not to respond to one, but there are some that can really try your patience at times.....LOL !

I respect all the teams and players as I'm sure most do on here. As a former player I know the hard work that the players & coaches put out year round.

So I wish all the teams good luck this year........it's gonna be a heck of a year !

I wanted to add how classy and helpful Doug Marrs has been with my son's recruitment. Most all of the D-1 schools got his name from Coach Marrs. Again, another positive example of a coach in our area who is VERY well respected by those who actually do recruit SW Virginia. He is well connected and his effort to help a kid at CCHS is admirable to say the least. I can't thank him enough!

Most folks don't accept or understand that recruiting is still about relationships schools have with high school coaches. Sure, Rivals, Scouts, camps, and television exposure (Channel 12's Spotlight game of the week between Grayson and Carroll got my son noticed by a coordinator at Duke who was watching the highlights-so you never know!) all contribute, but if a kid can play they will find them-anywhere!

Having just seen my 3 sons complete their high school eligibility at CCHS and move on to college over the last 2 years I just wanted to echo how nice it is to see how coaches are able help to create further opportunities for their players. Good programs find kids places to continue both their academic and athletic careers. Its the mark of a successful program.

Watching my kids compete in multiple sports in the SW district has been the joy of my life over the last few years. I have met many nice people in many places. I will truly miss that. To all of you still playing or watching your kids play enjoy it. It goes way too quick.

I will continue to watch as a fan and have some great memories. Good luck to all!

C'dadX3: I am with you on all issues you mentioned. Football can be like a relationship with an alcoholic in that one seldom gets out of it what they put in it. There is NO question that your children did not get from football anywhere near what they put into football. Whether or not my son does is a "work in progress." I was one of the lucky ones in that I got out of it WAY more than I dreamed was possible. From the day my mother bought me a Sears and Roebuck Superbowl Championship edition (KC Chiefs, yes, I'm dating myself) football equipment set (complete with the plastic helmet, shoulder pads, pants, and Len Dawson jersey number), I've been in love. I still have that same passion for the game, but my playing days taught me about the dark side of the sport. Yes, the political BS that comes with it. The kid who plays because of his dad's status or the kid who doesn't play because of his dad. The kid who fails and plays versus the kid who succeeds and stands on the sideline.

Time has not gone by too fast for me. I am not withdrawn enough (yet) to forget the conflicts, the heartache, the waiting in the car for 30 minutes to an hour because practice ran over. The scrimmage that started 45 minutes late and the fact that I no longer loan my son to football in the Fall for three or four months. It's a year round GRIND for everybody, but that intermittent reinforcement (there's that ugly alcoholic reference) keeps everybody (the kid, the coach, the parent, the fan) coming back for more. I found through my experiences, from Pop Warner to Marshall University, that football is a whore. One can indulge themselves in its pleasures, but in the end you owe it something. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot, but it NEVER owes you a damn thing! Blessed is the person who doesn't realize that!

As for successful programs promoting kids for college, I couldn't agree more. That's why I mentioned Marrs and Graham. Here's a coach promoting my son who plays for another school because in his words: "I owe it to kids to try and help them." I think all successful programs have at their core an entire community supporting the school. That's businesses, parents (and not just when their kid plays), coaches, teachers, administrations, former players, AD's and so on. Yes, the genesis of that success may find its seed in one unique man like Richard "Dick" Gunnoe in White Sulphur Springs, but it normally takes an entire village to support a team. It's great to run through an inflatable helmet when you're winning, but the air goes out real quick when failure enters the equation. Success breeds success and failure breeds failure, and that's why the winning programs have an entire CULTURE, which includes playing beyond high school, surrounding their team. CCHS has not had that, but there's hope that the foundation for a winning tradition has already been built and your boys helped build it. We may never know the extent of our contribution, our lack thereof, but we can walk away feeling good that we did contribute. I appreciate the contributions you, your wife, and boys made to the program. Whether that carries over to any tangible differences in the overall scheme of things is ALMOST irrelevant.