Teco Bowl overview

redtiger

I will start with Hurley. They won easily and looked pretty good against sub par competition, backs ran well to the outside, the passing game complemented the running game nicely. A very well laid out offense that really suits the talent they have. Defense was solid with no major weaknesses that I saw of. Not a great team but solid for a D1 squad

Next up Grundy, won against a solid team. The golden wave had some talent, backs were ok nothing too exciting, QB was very solid. Their offense confused me, not in a deceptive way but in a WTH kind of way. They had trouble pass protecting so they kept 2 backs in to help block(smart) but ran all three WRs deep(dumb) QB had no choice but to hold on to the ball as long as possible then chuck it deep and hope someone from Grundy caught it! They did look solid when they went undercenter, I know most of the Golden Wave faithful dont seem to like the offense they run and I completly understand why. I just dont understand trying to be something your not (a spread passing team). The Defense showed hints of being very good (when they were playing agressive and were motivated) but sometimes disipline just wasnt there (backside screen passes, but they were well drawn up plays). Overall not bad, in D2 a playoff team in D3 a near miss (could very well suprise).

Finally Haysi, backs were solid (better passing game than I expected, #84 has speed and #7 has great hands the other WRs were solid), will probably be a more balanced team this year than last. Oline was really bad, had trouble pass blocking and run blocking up the middle, off tackle was good. Running game showed some promise #10 showed some real fire and toughness, #48 needs to be more consistant(sometimes a good blocker, sometimes pretty bad but has potential). Defense just couldnt stop East Ridge, the warriors basically ran in C gap all night and Haysi never really stopped it, part of that is Haysi's size(very small team with no beef on the line) and part of it was the D linemen just standing up and getting blown off the ball (before a D tackle gets blown off the ball he should at least lay down and clog up the gap!). Normally having the first week of the season open is a bad thing but we need it. I still think the BDD crown is up for grabs (still not sure what Honaker has), luckily for the Tigers the district schedule doesent start until late in the season. I hink Haysi can come around it will just take some time to figure out what works and what doesent.

pics are here:

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo63/swvasports/2010%20Football/2010%20Teaco%20Bowl%20Grundy%20vs%20Pikeville%20Hurley/?start=all

redtiger, welcome to the world of Plymal. The offense is crazy and the formations are never ending...although to the unknowing it may all just look pretty much the same, it's not. The plays take WAY to long to develope...and it's frustrating and usually causes a lot of delay of games and confusion even among our own. I have no idea why we can't dumb that down just a little and god forbid throw a screen or a slant over the middle every now and then....but it doesn't happen.

Grundy played a bit short handed, missing one of the best they have on offense....they started a bit slow again and then got settled in...this week much quicker than last week...and Pikeville had a very good team and were pretty big and had some speed from what I saw. Grundy was able to make some adjustments and I thought they played really well tonight...very promising. The final score was 14-14 but Grundy had a safety that didn't count under the Teaco Bowl rules and actually gained Pikeville about 15 yards. Ball was snapped from the 20 or so and ended up in the endzone...Grundy didn't recover but should have been 2 points for a safety...instead Pikeville got the ball back on the 35 yard line and a fresh set of downs like it was a touchback? Nice reward...I'm thinking next time you find yourself on the goal line in the Teaco Bowl just turn around and run it out the back of the endzone and you will pick up 35 yards....brilliant.

Overall Grundy ran the ball well against a good looking defense...Berglowe looked like the off season work he put in paid off as he was able to finish off a long run up the middle for a TD...last year he got run down on the same type of plays...he worked hard this winter and spring to change that and tonight it looked like that finally paid off for him...was happy to see that.

Kelly did a good job of moving the ball around and connected on some clutch throws to keep the ball moving...and the defense looked strong...they have kids flying to the ball for a change...nice to see.

I was a little worried at the start of the Clintwood game...but they looked better as time went on...and that carried over in to tonight...they started a little flat and then got it going...didn't take very long....so they are coming together...and all this without one of the best players they have.

Ben Rife again at QB looks so much more mobile and faster than Kelly, but he made some mistakes tonight and didn't look as good as he did last week...but that's to be expected since he doesn't have a lot of game time at QB yet...he's a solid back up and it's good to know you have that on the bench if you need it and he's a great WR...so where ever they play him, i'm just glad he's on our team...kids can play some ball.

Hurley - had some big kids...better than i expected them to be.

Haysi - QB looked good and they had some speed.

I think both of them will give Grundy a good game...so, Grundy has their work cut out for them...not going to be an easy ride in to SWD play.

and a quick pic of my boy Berglowe...this is the TD run that he was able to finish off...nice job!

IMG_1761.jpg

oh...and the man...the legend...Bull Bevins:

IMG_1771.jpg

and a couple of quick pics:

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

Tanner Marshall is like a big angry cat...

IMG_1732.jpg

Then you have these....

Boom!

IMG_1694.jpg

Boom!

IMG_1733.jpg

Boom!

IMG_1778.jpg

Boom!

IMG_1695.jpg

Grundy got better as the game went on and Pikeville was a good team. I think in a real game Grundy would have put it on them pretty good. East Ridge surprised me Brad Allen has them playing ball and there statrting to bang on defense as well.

Haysi looked like there down bad from last year and Hurley looked better than last week.

Just a scrimmage though Im sure they left a lot in the bag. Starting next week it's for real we'll see then.

Haysi definately has alot to work on, the tigers Offensive line looked like they were at practice, just kind of went 70% and thought that would be enough. I dont think Haysi is down that much, they just didnt show very much intensity, alot of the missed blocks were more of a lack of effort than a lack of skill!

Would someone please tell grundys QBs how to run the speed option, they just kept stretching the play to the sideline and never made a decision. Once your outside the tackle either cut it up or pitch it, but you have to make a decision. Its an option sometimes you just have to eat it and get a coupel of yards.

Like I said before Grundys offense doesent make sense, I mean Haysi runs alot of formations(last year Jimbo Adams at JI Burton watched two of our games and said they counted like 50 some formations) but all of those formations have a point, either to set up a certain reciever or to gain an advantage bocking. Grundys formations just seemed to be in the playbook so that they would have different looks.

East Ridge was just running that double wing power sweep play(its not really a sweep but an offtackle play) we just couldnt stop it.

Haysi/ Hurley vs grundy should both be solid games, i think grundy will win both but neither will be blowouts

Edited by redtiger