Road relocation forcing closure of Richwood Golf Club

http://bdtonline.com/local/x2009601061/Road-relocation-forcing-closure-of-Richwood-Golf-Club

September 1, 2010

Road relocation forcing closure of Richwood Golf Club

By BRIAN WOODSON Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD, Va. — It has been one of the most traveled locations in all of Bluefield, a plot of land that has been a vital part of the community for most of the last 45 years.

In a matter of weeks, Richwood Golf Club will cease to exist.

No one is torn more about the decision caused by a road construction project than Bill Rich, the owner of the longtime golfing facility.

“It is going to be kind of bittersweet, it is something I love to do,†Rich said. “I love being outside, the freedom of being your own boss and taking care of making decisions every day, but it has been very difficult with the economics of it all.â€

The closure is expected to become reality in November after the Virginia Department of Transportation and the town of Bluefield, Va., recently came to an agreement to complete the long-anticipated state Route 720 Hockman Pike Relocation Project, which will run a road straight through the course.

“We haven’t been given official notice yet and we plan on operating as long as we possibly can, but I anticipate the end of October is when we will close,†Rich said. “Their timeline that they gave us is they want to start construction by the first of November.â€

It’s a bridge, which sits across from the Mayflower restaurant on Parkview Drive, that is the culprit. The current plan would close that bridge, and most of the road leading to it from Fincastle Turnpike.

“From my understanding, that bridge was condemned about 15 years ago,†Rich said. “The town came back and refurbished enough to keep it operational and keep it open. They had been looking for a way to replace that bridge.â€

After deciding that building a new bridge would be too costly for the town to maintain, the decision was made to purchase about nine acres of land from Rich. A new road, which Rich expects to be completed in less than a year, will run through the entrance to the course, and travel across the facility, intersecting on the other side of the nearby Pemco parking lot.

“Once they get on the golf course, they are going to cut a strip all the way through the middle of the golf course which will kind of divide us in half,†said Rich, who added the bridge had been on a four-year replacement plan for about 16 years. “It is not like they would be taking one little green or one hole. They are going to put out of play about half of the golf course, at least four of the holes would not be playable.

“If it were just one hole, you could go somewhere and build another golf hole, but four holes almost means you’re building a whole other golf course.â€

Rich said the negotiations are continuing on a facility that was first constructed on the family farm in 1965 by his grandfather, Mark E. Rich, an avid golfer who combined finances with friends to help build a local course.

“They were playing golf over at the Princeton Elks course and there was really no place in Bluefield for people to play,†said Rich, who has three full-time employees that will lose their jobs. “In ’65, it wasn’t like you jump on 460 and run over to Princeton to play golf, it was a half-hour drive over there.â€

The course officially opened on temporary greens two years later, and had its grand opening on permanent greens on March 22, 1968. It’s been going ever since, running around 20,000-25,000 rounds a year, with nearly 35,000 a year during ‘the good old days.’

Green fees in those days were $1.50 for nine holes, and $2.50 for 18, with walking the preferred option. The first club champion in ’68 was W.G. Cochran, and Mike Copley recently won the final championship, his 10th at Richwood. Sam Snead was the most famous golfer to play on the course.

“It is kind of bittersweet, for me it is all I have ever done,†said the 53-year-old Rich, who helped build the original greens at age 11. “I have poured my whole life into it. Every year you have expectations that this is going to be the greatest year we have ever had, and things are really going to turn around, but it never quite happens.

“You kind of just make ends meet, and just make it from one year to the next. We were not in direct opposition to it as a family, we were trying to work together with the town and the state. It is really coming down to it now so it is going to be difficult ...â€

Rich, who said the family will develop the land that is left, said the course has provided an outlet for those individuals that might not be able to afford the more expensive golf facilities in the region. He currently has a membership of about 60 — down from a high of 120-150 — all of whom he expects will at least give the nearby Bluefield Elks Lodge a try.

“We have tried to fill that void in the industry for people who want to play, but that are not business people that have a lot of money to afford the country clubs,†said Rich, who cut prices this year to draw more golfers to Richwood. “We try to keep it affordable, and be a place for beginners.

“I hope the Elks Club and some of these other area courses — and I think they are — are reaching out to the young people especially and trying to provide a place for them where they can learn and grow.â€

Not surprisingly, Rich’s members — which includes many youngsters just learning to play — aren’t pleased by the move.

“They are not happy about it,†said Rich, who added that the Mayflower would remain open during construction, and that the changes wouldn’t affect nearby Parkview Baptist Church. “Most of the members are pretty upset about it.â€

He added that while the decision is difficult to accept, he understands the reasoning given by the state and town.

“I know they are working hard to do the best they can, they have a rough situation here too,†Rich said. “It is not the best situation for everybody that is involved, but it is what it is and we want to be able to move on.â€

Rich, who lives in a home with his wife, Karen, next to the course, isn’t looking forward to seeing what happens when the construction begins.

“The part that is going to be difficult for me is seeing a bulldozer run through the middle of the greens and the turf rolling up,†Rich said. “That will be tough after babying it for 40 years, they’ll rip it out and it will be gone.â€

So will Richwood soon, but don’t abandon it yet. Rich said the course will remain open as long as possible, and he’s even thinking of inviting past members for one final tournament before the final putts are made.

“We plan to stay open as long as possible,†Rich said. “We haven’t been given a closing date yet, when we get one we will make it known.

“Just keep coming though, don’t quit coming.â€

—Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to see this happen. This is where I learned to play golf. Although I have only been playing for three years, still a lot of good memories there.

Said to see the "cheaper" option to solve a transportation problem destroy a local business. The last plan I saw was for a bridge between Park View Baptist and Mayflower. That would have on cut out the driving range. This route saves tax dollars, but at the cost of the community.

GMan quitting golf?!? What is next cigars and scotch?

Quit is the word!

That's what I said...quit...I quit playing this summer...no interest in playing golf, especially at Richwood...

BTW, how'd you finish in the Club Championship this year??? Did you get your 10th Runner-Up trophy or did you bring home the hardware in the second flight???

That's what I said...quit...I quit playing this summer...no interest in playing golf, especially at Richwood...

BTW, how'd you finish in the Club Championship this year??? Did you get your 10th Runner-Up trophy or did you bring home the hardware in the second flight???

I think I now hold the record for runner ups.