Bluefield / Princeton game

total

just some thoughts from the game last night....

1st and foremost - I wish Tevin Allan didn't get hurt to start the game. he did pretty good with what time he was in. he's tough! I don't care what nobody says.

I thought Bluefield was sloppy, and played down to the competition. this game should not have even been close. there were too many penalties and mental mistakes. however, I did like seeing the goose egg. I'd rather win 17 - 0, then 42 - 14 (with scores on the reserves). I'd love to go a couple more games with no points on the defense.

some will disagree with me, but I just don't think Bluefield is as good as everyone thinks. they are a good overall team, and have good team speed, but they don't have those special individuals like we're use to seeing. it's a double edged sword. would I rather have a good team, or game breaking individuals..... hmmmm???? it depends on the final result.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

My counterpoints to this:

Tevin Allen is out of shape, along with a lot of Princeton players. That is why you are seeing the injuries, which I think a lot of Beaver fans would agree seems to happen in this second game of the season often.

Bluefield was sloppy, no doubt about it.

Bluefield is a different good than usual. While they do not have explosive players, and the offense can not stretch the field like usual, they are solid. The defense needs some tweaking but they have not given up a point all season. And while there are some standouts on defense, they play well as a team. Tackling does need to improve.

You don't give up any points, it is impossible to lose.

The truth is, despite Bluefield not being as good/explosive as they have been in past seasons, they are still one of the top 2 teams in AA in WV...they'll play the other one later in the regular season...book it...

Also, Bluefield has now gone 11 quarters without giving up a point...GE didn't score against Bluefield last year...could be 15 straight quarters without giving up a point heading into the CCD game...

Guest StoneyCalhoun
another moral victory for princeton.....sure has been a many of those over the years....sad that the standards aren't higher.

It is just 2 different philosophies.

Take this quote for example:

“I thought he did well,” Spadaro said. “You know, this was a big game for a little freshman going in there. ... You just can’t throw a young man like that out at big game like this ... I don’t do anybody like that. I just gave him a few plays at a time to get him to feel his way around.”

I won't comment on whether this kid has a chance or not, cause he has plenty of time to develop.

BUT, ask Marcus Patterson what happens when you are a freshman and get thrown into the game, 3 INTs. Jake Lilly played great as well.

You come to play here in Bluefield as soon as August 1st rolls around. That is the orientation, not on the field. You are ready as soon as you hear the cannon before the B/G game.

just some thoughts from the game last night....

1st and foremost - I wish Tevin Allan didn't get hurt to start the game. he did pretty good with what time he was in. he's tough! I don't care what nobody says.

I thought Bluefield was sloppy, and played down to the competition. this game should not have even been close. there were too many penalties and mental mistakes. however, I did like seeing the goose egg. I'd rather win 17 - 0, then 42 - 14 (with scores on the reserves). I'd love to go a couple more games with no points on the defense.

some will disagree with me, but I just don't think Bluefield is as good as everyone thinks. they are a good overall team, and have good team speed, but they don't have those special individuals like we're use to seeing. it's a double edged sword. would I rather have a good team, or game breaking individuals..... hmmmm???? it depends on the final result.

Losing Jake Lilly and Marcus Patterson was big, especially losing Lilly. He could pound it into just about any defense. I'm only going on what I can hear on the radio, but there just isn't the ability to push the ball up in there like that. Technically, Trey Williams is as big as Lilly was, and Steptoe is about that big, too, but it's not the same.

Bluefield did look a little sluggish. They will come together as games go on. Just dont need any hurt in the CCD game when it comes. I talk to a ref that dont the GBE game Friday and he said they have a good QB but that is really about it. Beavs should be 3-0 after that one for sure. Cant go up there sluggish though!!!

Princeton somewhat out of shape and just flat out needs new coaching big line and some playmakers coaches just not up to speed with today's football.

Jury is still out on Bluefield. I think they are a good team, but....

Graham is 0-2...and gave up over 500 yards of offense last week against Cave Spring....Cave probably could have scored 80 points on Graham, if they wanted to.

Princeton??? Well, they got blanked by Pikeview in a scrimmage as well. I don't think Princeton is good test for Bluefield.

Pulaski is now 0-2, all be it against 2 very good teams......

I think Bluefield is good and will be a playoff team, just how good, however is yet to be determined. I think we'll find out when they play CCD.

Graham is 0-2...and gave up over 500 yards of offense last week against Cave Spring....Cave probably could have scored 80 points on Graham, if they wanted to.

TBH, Bluefield could have hung MUCH more than 48 on Graham if they had really wanted to.

While Lilly and Patterson are big shoes to fill this team IMO still has enough talent to win a title. As always with a good attitude, alot of hard work and motivation from each player and a big team effort with some senior leadership this team will have a good shot at another title. Princeton has a good team and was no pushover. They have some very skilled athletes from what I saw Friday night. I thought holding them to 0 points was impressive. And you have to remember they almost defeated a decent AAA Spring Valley team the week before.

I dont think you can judge "how good" bluefield will be after they play CCD. They were pushed around and beat up last year pretty bad. The score was close, but being in the stands it was much worse. Lilly kept them close by running the wildcat the whole second half after Beckett was hurt. Like mentioned before, Bluefield lacks the go to players they have had in the past. They will be in the playoffs and make alot of noise, just depends on what other AA schools have this year if someone can beat them. If they went 7-3, it would not surprise me. Their schedule is extreme. Losses to CCD, WF, and maybe Gate City or Wayne.

I wouldn't put an "L" down for the Fleming game just yet. Bluefield will be the more experienced team and playing at home. Bluefield will improve as the season progresses; they always do. Guys like Steptoe and Williams aren't used to being "the man" offensively, but both are capable of producing. I'd like to see what the freshman, Leggett, can do. That is kid built like a Mack truck, he's going to be a beast at TB. I also believe the other freshman, Edwards, is capable of making some plays if given the opportunity.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

The Wayne game for the Beavs is going to tell alot of how the playoffs will be. CCD probably will be a loss. WF will be tough always fast. GC is tough but if the Beavs are healthy I say 8-2 for the season and nobody wanting to play them in the playoffs.

7-3 would not surprise me. The losses to CCD and WF were not predictions, just looking at what could happen. CCD did lose friday in OT. GC was blown out in the second half by Richlands, but could still be tough. Wayne is always tough. Bluefield is experienced at most positions, but it doesnt always show. The line has a hard time picking up blitzes up the middle and the backs need to tuck the ball and not swing it around. The defense is def the backbone as it has been the past few years. An 8-2 or 7-3 Bluefield is more dangerous come playoff time then any 10-0 or 9-1 team.