Gate City

gcdevils47

1996,1997,2003 Gate City (The 97 team with Jake Houseright,and Beasley, the 03 team with Spivey, Jones, could hang with any Tennessee teams. 96 Gate city team should have won state with Josh Shoemaker leading the way, however got upset in the semifinals.

1992,1996,1997 Appalachia (scrimmaged DB in 1992..won 42-3 at J-Fred...ask Coach Clark about those Appalachia boys getting out of the back of trucks and whipping his butt. He tells the story pretty good.)

1989,1995,1997 Powell Valley ( The 89 team led by Robbie Duncan and Ricky Webb, 1995 team led by Thomas Jones, and the 1997 team with Julius Jones, Matt McCoy, Davis and to many to mention could all play with anyone in Tennessee.)

04,05,06,10 Richlands.......(look at the records...enough said)

If you want to go back even farther.....Back to the days of Harry Fry, Ralph Cummings, Jim Riggs, Ernie Hicks, and so on.......There have been many SWVA teams that could not only compete with the larger tennessee teams, but dominate them.

SWVA Teams bring state titles back to the area.......NE Tn teams exit early come playoff time.

Speaking of Harry Fry days Gate City beat DB in 1970 by the score 44 to 16.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1996,1997,2003 Gate City (The 97 team with Jake Houseright,and Beasley, the 03 team with Spivey, Jones, could hang with any Tennessee teams. 96 Gate city team should have won state with Josh Shoemaker leading the way, however got upset in the semifinals.

1992,1996,1997 Appalachia (scrimmaged DB in 1992..won 42-3 at J-Fred...ask Coach Clark about those Appalachia boys getting out of the back of trucks and whipping his butt. He tells the story pretty good.)

1989,1995,1997 Powell Valley ( The 89 team led by Robbie Duncan and Ricky Webb, 1995 team led by Thomas Jones, and the 1997 team with Julius Jones, Matt McCoy, Davis and to many to mention could all play with anyone in Tennessee.)

04,05,06,10 Richlands.......(look at the records...enough said)

If you want to go back even farther.....Back to the days of Harry Fry, Ralph Cummings, Jim Riggs, Ernie Hicks, and so on.......There have been many SWVA teams that could not only compete with the larger tennessee teams, but dominate them.

SWVA Teams bring state titles back to the area.......NE Tn teams exit early come playoff time.

You are just flat wrong.......

Appalachia beat DB..... Ha! I played on that 92 DB team. We did scrimmage Appalachia. It was the DB JV. I didn't even play in the game. But I watched. Also the game wasn't at J. Fred. It was at the practice field. The DB JV wore Appy out. I don't know where you come up with this stuff. Coach Clark doesn't always let the truth get in the way of a good story... Anyone who knows him will tell you that....

Appy probably had 5,000 people over there to watch. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Ringing cowbells, screaming like crazy, unbelievable.....

Speaking of Harry Fry days Gate City beat DB in 1970 by the score 44 to 16.

You are something else...... I mean that may have been the best Gate City team in History..... Get over the DB thing. The game isn't going to happen. Clark schuedules from knoxville area usually OOC.... No reason to play GC.... Doesn't help DB at all..... :D

You are just flat wrong.......

Appalachia beat DB..... Ha! I played on that 92 DB team. We did scrimmage Appalachia. It was the DB JV. I didn't even play in the game. But I watched. Also the game wasn't at J. Fred. It was at the practice field. The DB JV wore Appy out. I don't know where you come up with this stuff. Coach Clark doesn't always let the truth get in the way of a good story... Anyone who knows him will tell you that....

Appy probably had 5,000 people over there to watch. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Ringing cowbells, screaming like crazy, unbelievable.....

Thats not what the video shows my friend. Appy did bring a bunch of fans over, but DB in no way wore Appy out. Just admit it, a school with 35 football players and an enrollment of 250 or rolled the tribe. I have a friend who went to school at Appy, I'l be more than happy to see if he can upload that video for you to watch. Maybe it'll refresh some memories.

Thats not what the video shows my friend. Appy did bring a bunch of fans over, but DB in no way wore Appy out. Just admit it, a school with 35 football players and an enrollment of 250 or rolled the tribe. I have a friend who went to school at Appy, I'l be more than happy to see if he can upload that video for you to watch. Maybe it'll refresh some memories.

Listen, I played at DB from 90-93. Started 3 games as a freshmen and started every game from Soph. thru Senior years except when injuried. I promise you Appy never scrimmaged the DB varsity..... not during those years. They did scrimmage the JV I believe in three of those years. I never played JV ball. In case you don't know at DB the JV team is basically Sophmores and Juniors that don't play much. Some of those guys ecspecially the Sophmores are good but just not good enough to play ahead of guys in front of them. I remember the scrimmages at the practice field. At one Kia Bell ran for TD's on like the first four times he touched the ball. But still those fans where still going crazy hollering about holding and stuff. I mean it was the funniest thing you have ever seen. They where crazy. Straight out of the mountains. Some where missing some teeth. Guys at DB had never seen people like this. We laughed till we cried. That is the one I remember. And in that one DB's JV team killed Appy's varsity....

If they came back and scrimmaged the JV at J. Fred. I don't remember it. But I promise you they never played DB's varsity. I would know. If you do have a video please do post it. I have some buddy's who played on the JV. I would love to see it..... Ha!

Edited by VOL61

Listen, I played at DB from 90-93. Started 3 games as a freshmen and started every game from Soph. thru Senior years except when injuried. I promise you Appy never scrimmaged the DB varsity..... not during those years. They did scrimmage the JV I believe in three of those years. I never played JV ball. In case you don't know at DB the JV team is basically Sophmores and Juniors that don't play much. Some of those guys ecspecially the Sophmores are good but just not good enough to play ahead of guys in front of them. I remember the scrimmages at the practice field. At one Kia Bell ran for TD's on like the first four times he touched the ball. But still those fans where still going crazy hollering about holding and stuff. I mean it was the funniest thing you have ever seen. They where crazy. Straight out of the mountains. Some where missing some teeth. Guys at DB had never seen people like this. We laughed till we cried. That is the one I remember. And in that one DB's JV team killed Appy's varsity....

If they came back and scrimmaged the JV at J. Fred. I don't remember it. But I promise you they never played DB's varsity. I would know. If you do have a video please do post it. I have some buddy's who played on the JV. I would love to see it..... Ha!

I don't know if I would be making fun of mountain people my friend......It's not like Kingsport is in New York or California. They would be making fun of you there and lumping you in with us ole SWVA hillbillies ...lol

I'll take my country folks any day over anybody that thinks their better !

Show some respect, please. I'm Gate City all the way and Appalachia used to be our rival but that gives you no room to trash talk their players or fans. Or any other team's fans around here, just because you live in Kingsport doesn't make you any better than us "hillbilly garbage". Most of us around Gate City know DB has a school funded by a PTA program from the parents and being largely in debt and full of pricks and people that think they are better than everyone because they go to "DB". SWVA has many more championships then Northeast Tennessee. Yes, you could beat Gate City lets not get into that argument. But Richlands would probably throttle you all. As a matter of fact I bet about any amount of money if there was a SWVA allstars vs a NETN allstars the SWVA would win.

take your complaining to a different forum, which i understand if you were correcting the guy that said appalachia beat you all, which they might have? i have no idea. But you don't need to trash talk people that you don't even know.

You are something else...... I mean that may have been the best Gate City team in History..... Get over the DB thing. The game isn't going to happen. Clark schuedules from knoxville area usually OOC.... No reason to play GC.... Doesn't help DB at all..... :D

You just dont want to be torn between your two loves and dont want your DB team mates seeing you dressed in blue!:D That was not the best GC team ever. It was one of the best but not the best. You know that the real reason DB does not want to schedule GC is how embarassing it would be when they do lose to the Devils. I have heard the same old excuse of how scheduling GC would not help DB and would not benefit them. I just dont buy it. I also know on paper GC would lose to DB 8 out of 10 years but I am not a huge subscriber to the whole enrollment thing either. I think the two would have better games than you think they would but I am looking through blue shaded glasses as you are looking through your Maroon ones. I think it would benefit both teams. Just look at the income that gate would bring in. They dont have to play a regular season game. Play it as a preseason Benefit game. It would help them both by letting GC play against some speed and DB play against a very physical team. It would not hurt either team to play this in the preseason. If not a preseason game it will not hurt to schedule a home and home series either. If DB can schedule Sullivan North for a home and home series then they can schedule GC. It was not 5 or 6 years ago DB did schedule North for a two year contract. Norths enrollment this year is 638 and GCs is 681. GC is and has been a same size school as North so DB cant use the not benefitting us excuse. I know it probably wont happen but it would be nice to give it a try. I dont care if we get beat by 100 just as long as I would get to see them play one time before I die.

As for the comment about the score it was not made to really do much boasting. I just read were the other guy mentioned the Harry Fry days and of course that game came to mind. :p

Upload it! I want to see it!

Show some respect, please. I'm Gate City all the way and Appalachia used to be our rival but that gives you no room to trash talk their players or fans. Or any other team's fans around here, just because you live in Kingsport doesn't make you any better than us "hillbilly garbage". Most of us around Gate City know DB has a school funded by a PTA program from the parents and being largely in debt and full of pricks and people that think they are better than everyone because they go to "DB". SWVA has many more championships then Northeast Tennessee. Yes, you could beat Gate City lets not get into that argument. But Richlands would probably throttle you all. As a matter of fact I bet about any amount of money if there was a SWVA allstars vs a NETN allstars the SWVA would win.

take your complaining to a different forum, which i understand if you were correcting the guy that said appalachia beat you all, which they might have? i have no idea. But you don't need to trash talk people that you don't even know.

Not going to get into the post he made but I do know Vol61 outside of these forums and can tell you he is a great person to know. We kid each other all the time about our football teams. Also even though he played for DB he sits in the GC stands every Friday night cheering on the Devils. Heck he is louder and more into it than most of the GC fans that went to GC. He also wears blue from head to toe at every game. Just dont tell his DB buddies about that as I had him embarassed to death when I told them.:D:D

90 and 91 may be the two years you're talking about. That 92-97 Appy teams were a whole different animal. Some of the Older Gate City fans on here will agree with me, I'm sure. BTW.....Those mountain people do go crazy at games...and cheer. If you want the best atmosphere for a HS football game, go to a hyped up game in SWVA. A few hundred of those fans make more noise than the thousands that pack into J Fred. If DB's band decides not to play, that place is dead. Don't get to offensive, as I pull for DB. I have family that plays there now, and have attended a lot of their games the past 4 seasons.

I tried to get in touch with a buddy of mine yesterday, he hasn't returned my call yet. The game was at the practice field, not sure why I said J Fred. Hopefully I'll have the video in a day or so.

Listen, I respect the hell out of Appy. I don't mean anything bad about Mountain people or hillbillies. Hell, I am as hillbilly as the next guy. I was just explaining why I remember what happened. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful. Guys I played with at DB would kid me about being country or hillbilly.... I would kid them about being Momma's boys or Rap Music.... It was all in fun.... There was nothing disrespectful about it.

Pound for Pound... Football is probably better in SWVA. I know from being around GC's program if there was half as much passion and dedication at DB as there is at GC. There would be some state championships in the trophy case. It is just different. The people are different. That don't mean their pricks.... They are different. Sometimes it is funny how different they are... both ways.... But there is no disrespect....

Listen, I respect the hell out of Appy. I don't mean anything bad about Mountain people or hillbillies. Hell, I am as hillbilly as the next guy. I was just explaining why I remember what happened. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful. Guys I played with at DB would kid me about being country or hillbilly.... I would kid them about being Momma's boys or Rap Music.... It was all in fun.... There was nothing disrespectful about it.

Pound for Pound... Football is probably better in SWVA. I know from being around GC's program if there was half as much passion and dedication at DB as there is at GC. There would be some state championships in the trophy case. It is just different. The people are different. That don't mean their pricks.... They are different. Sometimes it is funny how different they are... both ways.... But there is no disrespect....

Very well said, and agreed on. Football is a way of life in SWVA. To most, It's just a sport in NE TN. thats the best way I can describe it. Neither way is wrong, just different I guess.

It's ok dude, I just dont want any disrespect for anyone on here. And yeah, i know alot of people from DB, im not making generalizing everyone there as a prick. I respect anyone from here as i do anyone else, I just don't like pricks, haha. But its ok. No problem here at all. I've been to a few DB games and you all have a hell of a team.