Grundy next year.

Jason

If I am looking at things right not only will Grundy drop but they will drop all the way to Division 1! The cutoff for next year will be 450 and as of now they are at 438. What should Grundy return for next season?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grundy is over 500 right now, not sure what numbers you are looking at but they actually saw an increase the last year or so...not sure what will happen after graduation.

as for the football team, they have a great group of kids this year...but they are all gone when it's over...Grundy will still have Berglowe and a few of the others but the line and most of the skill positions will be gone...it will be hard for them to play at the level they are playing at this year for a while to come...I am trying to enjoy it as much as I can this year because I know whats going to happen next year.

D2 is a different story altogether, they will have to face better teams and more of them. Not a whole lot tougher than in D1 but definately more of an uphill battle. I hope the fans from Grundy arent expecting the state titles to start pouring in, its just not gonna happen but it is still IMO a good move for Grundy.

The new A divisional and playoff setup will be interesting next year(it is next year right?).

Grundy is over 500 right now, not sure what numbers you are looking at but they actually saw an increase the last year or so...not sure what will happen after graduation.

as for the football team, they have a great group of kids this year...but they are all gone when it's over...Grundy will still have Berglowe and a few of the others but the line and most of the skill positions will be gone...it will be hard for them to play at the level they are playing at this year for a while to come...I am trying to enjoy it as much as I can this year because I know whats going to happen next year.

VHSL website has them at 438. http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-divisions-2009-10.pdf

D2 is a different story altogether, they will have to face better teams and more of them. Not a whole lot tougher than in D1 but definately more of an uphill battle. I hope the fans from Grundy arent expecting the state titles to start pouring in, its just not gonna happen but it is still IMO a good move for Grundy.

The new A divisional and playoff setup will be interesting next year(it is next year right?).

The only state titles we know will be pouring in are in wrestling lol

If those are not the numbers then where can one find the numbers that are used? I had always thought those were the numbers the VHSL used. If not then why do they post them under Football Divisions on their website?

Grundy will dominate in wrestling, but they pretty much do now.

Im actually really excited to see them in the BDD, its good for the district, I just dont know how long the district will stay together. Last weeks paper said that the doors to Dickenson Countys consolidated high school will be open for the 2013 school year, that would leave the BDD with Grundy, Twin Valley, Hurley and Honaker. I see DCHS joining the new look LPD with Wise East, North and West(or whatever they are going to call those schools) because the rumor is that this is the last year for the 3 smaller wise county schools. By that time alot of the SWD schools may have dropped and who knows what the region will look like, TV and Hurley would be pretty isolated from the rest of the local small schools(castlewood, rye cove, thomas walker) and who knows what district honaker would want to be in. For the big schools the SWD and Highlands could pretty much be reformed with the new look LPD.

Im really not trying to hijack the thread or start another consolidation thread I just got carried away and cant bring myself to delete it all!

Grundy will dominate in wrestling, but they pretty much do now.

Im actually really excited to see them in the BDD, its good for the district, I just dont know how long the district will stay together. Last weeks paper said that the doors to Dickenson Countys consolidated high school will be open for the 2013 school year, that would leave the BDD with Grundy, Twin Valley, Hurley and Honaker. I see DCHS joining the new look LPD with Wise East, North and West(or whatever they are going to call those schools) because the rumor is that this is the last year for the 3 smaller wise county schools. By that time alot of the SWD schools may have dropped and who knows what the region will look like, TV and Hurley would be pretty isolated from the rest of the local small schools(castlewood, rye cove, thomas walker) and who knows what district honaker would want to be in. For the big schools the SWD and Highlands could pretty much be reformed with the new look LPD.

Im really not trying to hijack the thread or start another consolidation thread I just got carried away and cant bring myself to delete it all!

Living where i do, i'm not that familiar with Dickenson County. With the consolidated school opening, that means the end of Clintwood, Haysi and Ervinton? Am i right and are there anymore schools involved with this move. And forgive me for helping you hijack the thread. LOL.

If BC consolidates then that makes the district breakdown easier (its one hell of a drive from hurley or TV to thomas walker(ewing), mapquest says 3 hours! thats just too far for a district game). Im assuming that BC consolidation will be into 1 school

*new Southwest - Richlands, lebanon, graham, tazewell, Buc Co, JSB, VA

*new Lonesome Pine - Dickenson co, WE, WW, WN, Lee, GC

*whats left of the cumberland TW, RC, TS and castlewood

*Marion to the Hogo(they would fit there nicely)

* Honaker is an issue, I guess put them inthe Hogo with marion(the SWD schools are alot larger and the LPD is too far to travel)

*CC to either the River Ridge or Piedmont(where they should be anyway)

*now the catch is Abingdon, they are and will be too big to drop to A and are too far from the river ridge or piedmont, so I guess they will play in a A district and AA come playoff time. So put them in the SWD

Yes Haysi, Clintwood and Ervinton (all 3 former members of the LPD). Glad to have you along lol. Where are you from?

Edited by redtiger

If BC consolidates then that makes the district breakdown easier (its one hell of a drive from hurley or TV to thomas walker(ewing), mapquest says 3 hours! thats just too far for a district game). Im assuming that BC consolidation will be into 1 school

* Honaker is an issue, I guess put them inthe Hogo with marion(the SWD schools are alot larger and the LPD is too far to travel)

*now the catch is Abingdon, they are and will be too big to drop to A and are too far from the river ridge or piedmont, so I guess they will play in a A district and AA come playoff time. So put them in the SWD

Yes Haysi, Clintwood and Ervinton (all 3 former members of the LPD). Glad to have you along lol. Where are you from?

I agree on most of what you are saying but Abingdon will fall to the Hogo and play single A come playoff time , Graham will probley stay in the Med and Region C and Honaker will move into the Cumberland. But its just a gessing game right know.

It is just a guessing game. I assumed Graham would want to rejoin with its former rivals. Honaker in the cumberland isint a good idea, I thought about it and the trips to Rye Cove and Twin Springs arent too bad but the one to Thomas Walker is about 2 1/2 hours. The Hogo schools are much closer, besides with the new single A setup there will no longer be traditional regions only 2 big regions for the entire state and playoff positions are chosen by power points not by district champ(I think), so what district you play in really doesent matter except to make it easier to fill out your schedule(guaranteed games) and not play teams that are much larger than you.

Abingdon could porbably petition to drop down (travel hardship) and get it

Edited by redtiger

I live in Bristol so i don't get to games over there very much.

I had not heard any news of consolidation in Buchanan County. The Wise county consolidation has been all over the news here. It'll be sad to see some of the schools go along with the rivalries. I guess it comes down to economics.

So it looks like Appalachia, Pound, Saint Paul, Haysi, Clintwood and Ervinton are gone in the coming years along with Grundy, Twin Valley and Hurley if BCHS comes along.

Lance thats what im afraid of, I dont think my little plan is perfect but it makes sense

BCHS is something that probably wont happen in the next 3-5 years but isint too far off, DCHS is gonna happen and the wise co schools are a must.

Edited by redtiger

Buchanan County only need's one High School....

problem is that they are going to build it up near the airport and when you start sending kids from TV and Hurley all the way up there it's dangerous in the winter...i know i wouldn't want my kids going there every day.

they could build a road, but come on, it's been since before i could drive they are trying to 4 lane Grundy from one end to the other and they still have not finished it.

up on the mountain is a bad place for a "centralized" high school but I really cant think of another place that is big enough for a school and facilities.

I also would like to have seen Grundy and Lebanon in the BDD