Rumors bubbling out of Chapel Hill...

GMan

True. Also heard that if the AD didn't act "soon enough" his a$$ was going out the door with Butch too.

Additionally, rumor is that this (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5659504) is a "peace offering" in an attempt to keep the NCAA off the hoops team inspite of what Ole Roy says in the article...

And Jim Harbaugh is a name being tossed around as #1 on the wish list...

I've heard several names being tossed around bu have not heard Harbaugh's name mentioned as a "potential" coach. I seriously doubt he would even thing about leaving Stanford...he's "God" out there and gets everything he wants and/or needs at one of the best educational institutions in the country.

Him going to UNC is almost as funny as the rumor of Nick Saban going to WVU when RichRod left for Michicken...

I've heard several names being tossed around bu have not heard Harbaugh's name mentioned as a "potential" coach. I seriously doubt he would even thing about leaving Stanford...he's "God" out there and gets everything he wants and/or needs at one of the best educational institutions in the country.

Him going to UNC is almost as funny as the rumor of Nick Saban going to WVU when RichRod left for Michicken...

What other names have you heard? I'd be interested to see if UNC plans on going down this road to try to find a big name coach again.

And also, why I hate to be that guy who brings the conversation back to Tech, do you think they will give Bud a call?

True. Also heard that if the AD didn't act "soon enough" his a$$ was going out the door with Butch too.

Additionally, rumor is that this (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5659504) is a "peace offering" in an attempt to keep the NCAA off the hoops team inspite of what Ole Roy says in the article...

LOL...Graves was kicked off the team for testing positive for marijuana. He tested positive back during the 2008-09 season, which is why he was suspended and didn't participate in the final quarter of that season. He was only allowed back on the basis that he not test positive in the future, but he failed a test in mid-September. The basketball team is 100% clean, always has been and always will be. This is a Butch Davis mess, no one else.

What other names have you heard? I'd be interested to see if UNC plans on going down this road to try to find a big name coach again.

No big-time names, various AHCs, OCs, and DCs from around the country...

And also, why I hate to be that guy who brings the conversation back to Tech, do you think they will give Bud a call?

Very likely, however, I don't think he'll answer the phone considering the future of UNC football...

LOL...Graves was kicked off the team for testing positive for marijuana. He tested positive back during the 2008-09 season, which is why he was suspended and didn't participate in the final quarter of that season. He was only allowed back on the basis that he not test positive in the future, but he failed a test in mid-September. The basketball team is 100% clean, always has been and always will be. This is a Butch Davis mess, no one else.

B-ball will be looked at in the Tutorgate issue...that will tell you how clean it truly is. I know the ACC office is praying that its clean...

B-ball will be looked at in the Tutorgate issue...that will tell you how clean it truly is. I know the ACC office is praying that its clean...

As has been pointed out countless times, the basketball team had zero contact with the tutor in question. The tutor's contact with the other sports teams was looked at immediately by the school and since by the NCAA. I hate to break the hearts of those wanting to topple Carolina's basketball program.

All the high-profile SEC jobs are taken by long-term coaches, I think. Perhaps maybe Suitcase Saban.

I could see Harbaugh going to the NFL, like his brother.

You’re forgetting Mark Richt at UGA...he’s on the hot seat. And Lucky Les at LSU is just a few more dumb calls and clock management debacles away from being fired despite his record. The LSU faithful want him gone. In my opinion Saban isn’t going anywhere. I know there are many who would like him to leave, but I believe he will retire at Bama. He has a great situation there and it will only get better in years to come. I’m not saying Harbaugh will be asked to take either of these jobs, but I am saying these jobs could be available. For that matter if Urban Meyer doesn’t get things straightened out at Florida he might not be around in two or three years himself. There is no such thing as a high profile coaching job in the country that can be considered long term. You have to win consistently to keep your job no matter who you are. There are some coaches who have held jobs for several years, but let them have back to back losing seasons and they are on the hot seat as well. Job security in football is winning. Bottom line, it’s a business.

Edited by blueinbama

You’re forgetting Mark Richt at UGA...he’s on the hot seat. And Lucky Les at LSU is just a few more dumb calls and clock management debacles away from being fired despite his record. The LSU faithful want him gone. In my opinion Saban isn’t going anywhere. I know there are many who would like him to leave, but I believe he will retire at Bama. He has a great situation there and it will only get better in years to come. I’m not saying Harbaugh will be asked to take either of these jobs, but I am saying these jobs could be available. For that matter if Urban Meyer doesn’t get things straightened out at Florida he might not be around in two or three years himself. There is no such thing as a high profile coaching job in the country that can be considered long term. You have to win consistently to keep your job no matter who you are. There are some coaches who have held jobs for several years, but let them have back to back losing seasons and they are on the hot seat as well. Job security in football is winning. Bottom line, it’s a business.

I did forget about Richt at Georgia, thanks for that correction. May show just how much Georgia's fallen, really. I don't think Les will be gone this year, though he's the luckiest coach in college football history. It's like Groh in 2007: hard to fire a man when the team keeps eking out victories that are absurd.

I would disagree about your take on "high profile, long term" with two examples: Paterno-Penn State and Stoops-Oklahoma. Bowden at FSU was like that for a good 5-6 years, even though they didn't have a losing record. But FSU is straight up rolling now. That is a scary, scary team.

I did forget about Richt at Georgia, thanks for that correction. May show just how much Georgia's fallen, really. I don't think Les will be gone this year, though he's the luckiest coach in college football history. It's like Groh in 2007: hard to fire a man when the team keeps eking out victories that are absurd.

I would disagree about your take on "high profile, long term" with two examples: Paterno-Penn State and Stoops-Oklahoma. Bowden at FSU was like that for a good 5-6 years, even though they didn't have a losing record. But FSU is straight up rolling now. That is a scary, scary team.

Paterno@Penn State is a legend and the last of a vanishing breed as was Bowden. I think you will rarely see that happen again in this age of “what have you done for me lately”. Stoops at Oklahoma has had some tremendously successful seasons from 2000 until 2008. 13-0, 11-2, 12-2, 12-2, 12-1, 8-4, 11-3, 11-3, 12-2. They were 8-5 last year, and so far this season he is 5-0. I know he has been beaten up pretty decisively in the post season, but his record and body of work are among the top coaches in the country. I think things have changed recently with these coaches like Saban, Meyer and Miles getting paid upwards of $4 million per year. With that kind of money floating around you had better be successful. Trust me, if Saban, Miles or Meyer has back to back 7 or 8 win seasons with all the talent they have recruited, it will prove they have lost their touch and heads will roll.

Edited by blueinbama

There are ZERO high major D1 programs that are "100% clean". I am a UNC fan so it isn't an attempt to just hate on them. Recruiting is so competitive that everybody is breaking rules, some more than others.

Marvin Austin, Greg Little, and Robert Quinn are done. Has that been posted anywhere yet?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-austin-little-quinn-out-for-season

The college football careers of North Carolina seniors Marvin Austin and Greg Little and junior Robert Quinn are over as the result of an NCAA investigation into the Tar Heels program.

UNC dismissed Austin has been dismissed from the team, and Little and Quinn have been ruled permanently ineligible because of untruthfulness, Chancellor Holden Thorp said this morning.

In a news release, UNC stated that the total value of benefits received was $4,952 for Little and $5,642 for Quinn, according to information submitted to the NCAA by the university.

Little was found to have accepted diamond earrings and travel accommodations to the Bahamas, Washington, D.C., and two trips to Miami, among other benefits. Quinn’s benefits were found to include two black diamond watches, a pair of matching earrings and travel to Miami.

The university also found that Little and Quinn were not truthful during three separate interviews with UNC and NCAA enforcement staff members. According to UNC, Little and Quinn only provided more accurate information when presented with evidence contrary to their assertions.

UNC announced that Austin was dismissed for violations of NCAA agent benefits, preferential treatment and ethical conduct rules. His case was not submitted to the NCAA for reinstatement. He had been suspended indefinitely since Sept. 1 for violating team rules. UNC did not provide further information on the amount or nature of the benefits Austin received.

All three players have been withheld from games since the beginning of the season because of the NCAA’s investigation into improprieties involving sports agents and possible academic misconduct connected to an undergraduate tutor.

They are among more than a dozen Tar Heel players who have missed games as a result of the NCAA’s probe.

“It’s a sad day when three young men are no longer able to represent their school based on actions they have taken and decisions they have made contrary to NCAA rules," UNC athletic director Dick Baddour said in a statement released by the school. "Unfortunately, they made serious mistakes in judgment in accepting extra benefits and then not being truthful with our staff and NCAA representatives. Now they must forfeit the privilege of playing again for the Tar Heels.

"Although they are responsible for their actions, they are part of our university and our program and we will support them as they move into the next phases of their lives. I know they love to play the game, but I hope they will learn from their mistakes and lead productive and responsible careers."

Before the season opener against LSU, 13 players were withheld in connection with the investigation. Tailback Shaun Draughn returned after missing one game. Safety Da’Norris Searcy returned after being held out for three games.

Cornerback Kendric Burney and safety Deunta Williams received NCAA suspensions for receiving extra benefits. Williams returned Saturday against Clemson after a four-game suspension; Burney is set to play Oct. 23 at Miami following a six-game suspension.

The school announced Saturday that safety Jonathan Smith is out for the rest of the season. Also Saturday, the school announced that another player, fullback Devon Ramsay, is being withheld in connection with the probe.

Others who have yet to play this season whose status remains unclear are cornerback Charles Brown, defensive lineman Michael McAdoo, defensive back Brian Gupton, defensive end, Linwan Euwell and tailback Ryan Houston.

North Carolinaassociate head coach John Blake resigned Sept. 5 after being connected to the investigation. His lawyers have admitted that he has received “gifts” or “loans” from sports agent Gary Wichard, a longtime friend of Blake.

Blake was the position coach for Austin and Quinn, two of the players who were declared out for the season today.

Austin, a defensive tackle who was projected as a first-round NFL draft pick before the suspension, made two trips to California to train at a facility where Wichard’s clients have trained for the NFL draft. Austin’s lawyer, Christopher Lyons of Miami, has said Austin was under the impression that Kentwan Balmer, a former Tar Heel teammate and Wichard client, paid for the trip.

Lyonshas said that in addition to the California trip, three trips by Austin to Miami and some trips to his hometown of Washington, D.C., also had attracted the attention of NCAA investigators. Efforts to reach Lyons today were not immediately successful.

Blake, Wichard, Austin and Balmer all have been interviewed in the North Carolina Secretary of State’s investigation into possible violations of the state’s uniform athlete agent act.

Quinn plays defensive end and also is rated as a first-round talent should he decide to enter the draft after this, his junior season.

Little, a wide receiver, also is projected as a draft prospect, but isn’t as highly rated as Austin and Quinn. His father, Greg Little Sr., said in July that Little took a spring break trip to Miami in March with Austin, but that Little Sr. gave him money for all his expenses.

Durham-based lawyer Butch Williams, who is representing Little, limited his comments to a statement.

“We are currently reviewing a lot of the information that went into this decision by the school and the NCAA to determine whether an appeal will be forthcoming,” Williams said.

In his statement this morning, Baddour also said: "As an institution, we must learn from these mistakes and work with the NCAA and others who love the game of football to repair the environment in which they occurred. College football is a wonderful game, but we need to closely examine and address the agent-related problems. The University of North Carolina pledges to do all it can to do that.

"I hate that these issues have hurt the University of North Carolina and our fans. We have so much to be proud of as a University. We will learn from this and we will become a better program as a result.”

Baddour and UNC football coach Butch Davis are scheduled to address the media at 11:30 a.m.

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-austin-little-quinn-out-for-season#ixzz124vRybpS

No shock with regard to Austin and Little. Everyone in Chapel Hill has pretty known that they were gone from the first day this story broke. I'm disgusted that those guys continually took "gifts" knowing full well it was a direct NCAA violation. They have tarnish the good name of UNC, a school that provided them with a free education and an opportunity to display their talents. They were selfish and each one of them should have to repay the school the full amount of their scholarships. Even far more disgusting are those which may have committed academic fraud.