its a physical game

redtiger

I commented on the Lebanon/Richlands game and my opnions about football being a rough, physical, nasty game(the reasons I loved playing and love to watch it). Here is a little something I thought was interesting. Im just curious as to what everyone thinks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-James-Harrison-I-try-to-hurt-players-101810

I feel alot like Harrison does, football is a macho, tough game and hitting is central to that.

I commented on the Lebanon/Richlands game and my opnions about football being a rough, physical, nasty game(the reasons I loved playing and love to watch it). Here is a little something I thought was interesting. Im just curious as to what everyone thinks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-James-Harrison-I-try-to-hurt-players-101810

I feel alot like Harrison does, football is a macho, tough game and hitting is central to that.

You know I agree that hitting is part of football but not punching do you ever see NFL or college players punching?? NO! That is not what I am talking about at all. The game is just that a game and tackling is part of the game!

Im not condeming you or attacking what you are saying. Punching another player is wrong!Its just that while were kinda on the subject why not talk about it. Its actually something I have been discussing w/ my girlfriend, some people at work and my boss. I made the comment about a month ago "that one of a players goals while on the football field and one of the best feelings a player can have is to hit an opposing player hard, and have him lay there a while, maybe even cry a little and contimplate weather or not he wants to get back up and continue in the game" I dont and didnt want to injure anyone,just make them hurt.

I want to get a feel for what everyone thinks is right and wrong, not trying to attack you or defend a player who went too far(I dont know if he did or not). Im just curious, I really didnt mean to come off as point you out.

You were talking about NFL or college players behaving like that, Im a big VT fan and a couple of years ago when Marcus Vick stepped on that defender(cant remember who he played for or what his name was) after the play, I was embarassed he played for tech and that I rooted for them.

Edited by redtiger

Changing the rules on how hard you can hit someone is absolutely CRAZY!!! When you strap up you realize the possibility of serious injury and if you can't handle that fact you shouldn't be in the sport PLAIN AND SIMPLE! I hate to see anyone get hurt but it could happen to anyone at any time. No need in changing the rules to try and prevent it because injuries will always be part of the game, it is after all a collision sport.

I think a player leading with their helmet is dangerous but defensive players hitting recievers after they go up for a catch is a tough position to be in. You aim for the WRs chest, when he sees you he ducks, helmet to helmet, it happens.

I also think it is rediculious to fine a player for a severe hit when a flag wasnt thrown on the play!

You know I agree that hitting is part of football but not punching do you ever see NFL or college players punching?? NO!

I have stayed out of this until now, but after reading this I had to comment. Are you kidding me? You mean to tell me you have never seen an NFL or a college player throw a punch? I don’t know what games you are watching, but it happens every Saturday somewhere.

That said, I hate “dirty†players who chop block and try and deliberately take players out of a game with illegal tactics. But it happens. It’s part of this violent game, and to say you have never seen it in college or pro is hard for me to believe if watch a lot of football.

I have stayed out of this until now, but after reading this I had to comment. Are you kidding me? You mean to tell me you have never seen an NFL or a college player throw a punch? I don’t know what games you are watching, but it happens every Saturday somewhere.

That said, I hate “dirty†players who chop block and try and deliberately take players out of a game with illegal tactics. But it happens. It’s part of this violent game, and to say you have never seen it in college or pro is hard for me to believe if watch a lot of football.

Well I have watched alot of football in my day! And yes you see tempers fly from time to time but never on a defensive play do you see a player in the NFL or College grab a player by the jersey and punch him! Now it may happen at the bottom of the pile up but I am sorry if you think I am wrong but I dont see any NFl players really doing that! Shoving and stuff i have seen as well. So if you want to condone a player for punching another teenager in the throat and causing damage then that is on you! I just stated my opinion. Football you are going to have injuries, like concussions, broken bones that kind of thing and even a close line or two but I just dont see what the purpose of doing the other is? Yes tempers fly but come on at what point to we get these boys to learn to control that are they going to go out and punch anyone that pisses them off in life? At sometime these kids are going to meet someone bigger and more pissed off than they are and it wont end so pretty! So you say what you want and I will believe what I want as well. I still love the game and love to watch thost boys on Friday nite whether they win or lose we are still proud of our Pioneers!!

For all teams this season I wish you all good luck and have a healthy season!

So if you want to condone a player for punching another teenager in the throat and causing damage then that is on you!

Apparently you only read what you wanted to read in my post. Did you not read where I said I "hate dirty players"? Show me where I condoned what you said. If you are going to debate intelligently, don't misquote me. Everyone is not going to agree with everything you say. You're saying the players need to learn, it sounds to me like you need to learn a little about discussion yourself. Don't be so sensitive, we all have opinions. They may not mirror yours, but that doesn't mean we are all wrong with the exception of yourself. Grow up.

And to your point about the "bottom of the pile", does that make it acceptable? Do you condone hitting at the bottom of the pile? Rhetorical question, btw. Everyone else will see my point...you may not.

Edited by blueinbama

I think everyone has made the point already. But I'll say it again. There's a different between physical play and dirty play. And it seems like we share common sentiment about dirty play. We hate it, but it happens. I think the real question is, who's responsibility is it to minimize dirty play?

Apparently you only read what you wanted to read in my post. Did you not read where I said I "hate dirty players"? Show me where I condoned what you said. If you are going to debate intelligently, don't misquote me. Everyone is not going to agree with everything you say. You're saying the players need to learn, it sounds to me like you need to learn a little about discussion yourself. Don't be so sensitive, we all have opinions. They may not mirror yours, but that doesn't mean we are all wrong with the exception of yourself. Grow up.

And to your point about the "bottom of the pile", does that make it acceptable? Do you condone hitting at the bottom of the pile? Rhetorical question, btw. Everyone else will see my point...you may not.

I did read your post entirely! And you know we do all have opinions and I am fine with that! So lets please just leave it at that! I hope we learn and just move on!

I did read your post entirely! And you know we do all have opinions and I am fine with that! So lets please just leave it at that! I hope we learn and just move on!

I have no problem with what I said originally, or in my second post. You obviously realize you spoke out of turn when you attacked me for no reason. I'm good with leaving it alone, as long as you understand you can't jump down somebody's throat (no pun intended) when you have no reason to do so. I stand by my posts.

Edited by blueinbama