Live Streaming of 9th District Debate on now

tbgfan

Darned bowling league, I had to miss it.

Could you recap it?

Speaking of bowling...how you doing so far??? How'd the PBAX league go this summer???

We're two weeks into the 2nd quarter of our league and I'm flirting with the 200 mark...199.70 after this past Monday. I'm still missing way too many easy spares...Monday night, I shot 639 and whiffed three 10-pins and a 4-pin and also missed the 2-7 in the 10th frame of the second game...639 could have been a lot better.

Speaking of bowling...how you doing so far??? How'd the PBAX league go this summer???

We're two weeks into the 2nd quarter of our league and I'm flirting with the 200 mark...199.70 after this past Monday. I'm still missing way too many easy spares...Monday night, I shot 639 and whiffed three 10-pins and a 4-pin and also missed the 2-7 in the 10th frame of the second game...639 could have been a lot better.

I'm doing pitifully this season, only slightly better than last year's average at this time. I'm averaging 187 on Friday nights and 177 on Tuesday nights; the Tuesday night league is a 5-man league, and having only bowled 2-4 person leagues, the lanes react much differently with more people, especially on as pristine a surface as they have. Of course, I tend to do much better starting in November and really ramp it up after Christmas. The last two seasons I've averaged over 200 for the second half of the season.

The Virtual Gravity just doesn't have the finish that I need. God bless Junior, but he didn't drill the ball to be anywhere near as aggressive as I wanted, and it's costing me. I've left more 7 pins this season than I can ever remember, and I'm leaving a bunch of funky splits: 8-10s, 2-10s, 5-7s, etc. I'm leaving more splits in general, because I'm trying to force the ball inside, and if I miss my mark left, it's an automatic split. Threw 6 last night (needless to say, I didn't even shoot 500), and I've thrown as many as 7 in a week. I've thrown at least 1 every single week.

I'm doing somewhat better on spares, but I'm throwing so many splits that it really doesn't matter. I've only missed two 10-pins all season out of about 40 that I've left (one last night). Anything on the right side of the lane, I've been over 90%. Some difficulty with 4s and 7s, which is odd for a righty.

One of the only bright spots of this season so far was throwing my high series of the year (a 687) in a 700-Club Tournament that the Greater Harrisburg USBC held. I finished 3rd in it, which was good enough for a modest cash.

The PBA Experience league was humbling. I ended at a 162 for the summer, with a high series of 594 and a high game of 235. If anything, that league taught me how to better use different lines to get to the pocket. It helped me quite a bit with fundamentals from my elbow down. But then, as now, the ball just finished consistently weak, so much that regardless of how I adjusted my speed, it wouldn't come back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad to hear that you've got a legitimate shot for a 200 average this season! You're a few 10-pins away from it, seems like. I'll shoot your 10s if you throw my strikes. ;)

The Virtual Gravity just doesn't have the finish that I need. God bless Junior, but he didn't drill the ball to be anywhere near as aggressive as I wanted, and it's costing me. I've left more 7 pins this season than I can ever remember, and I'm leaving a bunch of funky splits: 8-10s, 2-10s, 5-7s, etc.

Sounds like the ball may be too strong and burning up before it gets to the pins...does it hit like a marshmellow??? Pin action not real lively??? Funky leaves, even on pocket shots??? If you're RH, the split leaves would indicate a ball that is not continuing through the pocket (deflecting early)...a sure sign that your ball is burning up (too strong for the lane condition)...

As for nearly averaging 200...this time last year, I was averaging 178 and ended up with a 197 average for the season...pretty much bolwed my arse off in quarters 2-4. I think I calculated that I averaged about 204 over the final three quarters to bring the 178 up to 197. Its almost pisstivating to shoot less than 600 right now...'cause I was truly pisstivated the last two weeks shooting 570 and 591. I remember when I used to be tickled sheetless shooting 570 and 591...

Sounds like the ball may be too strong and burning up before it gets to the pins...does it hit like a marshmellow??? Pin action not real lively??? Funky leaves, even on pocket shots??? If you're RH, the split leaves would indicate a ball that is not continuing through the pocket (deflecting early)...a sure sign that your ball is burning up (too strong for the lane condition)...

As for nearly averaging 200...this time last year, I was averaging 178 and ended up with a 197 average for the season...pretty much bolwed my arse off in quarters 2-4. I think I calculated that I averaged about 204 over the final three quarters to bring the 178 up to 197. Its almost pisstivating to shoot less than 600 right now...'cause I was truly pisstivated the last two weeks shooting 570 and 591. I remember when I used to be tickled sheetless shooting 570 and 591...

What you've just said pretty much describes what's happening to me this season. And yes, I'm RH.

Pin action's a big problem with many of my leaves: it's non-existent a lot of the times. It seems like everyone in the house can carry the 7-pin on a slightly weak hit, but I can't do it, even with good angle and rev rate.

I've left funky results on pocket shots, too: the kinds that make teammates open their mouths and shake their heads. Had one last night, IMO the best shot I threw all night. Solid mechanics, hit my mark dead on, ball gripped the lane for once and pulled dead flush, just to leave an 8-10, what you'd associate with a weak hit. But again, I felt as if I had good angle, good rev rates, the works.

What adjustments would you make, if you still wanted to use this ball? Or would you just recommend to change balls entirely to a less reactive ball?

I'm going to have to pull what you did last year in order to make 200 in my Friday night league. I'll have to shoot 615 for the rest of the season, on average. Very doable: shot a 614 last Friday night, as a matter of fact. And like you, if I don't bowl 590+ for my series, I'm disappointed. I had a gout attack on Friday 2 weeks ago, and I threw a 499 on it, which set me back quite a bit. But I did something similar last year: I was in worse position after 8 weeks last year, only to come on and finish at 196. We'll see!

Darned bowling league, I had to miss it.

Could you recap it?

Posted in the Bristol Herald Courier today and does have most of the highlights of the debate. I will say this, it seems that Boucher and Heaton may have privately come to some agreement "behind the scenes." Heaton did not directly "spar" with Boucher, but did try and do this with Griffith. Boucher is a very seasoned, polished career politician, well versed on his platform. Griffith appears to be a very competent, and knowledgeable spokesman, not afraid to back down from confrontation. Heaton appeared more as a layman who appealed to the independent, as long as he was giving points on his platform, but when he began to attack Griffith personally and not on the issues, he lost validity.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2010/oct/27/9th-district-candidates-square-tv-debate-ar-589012/

9th District candidates square off in TV debate

By Debra Mccown

Published: October 27, 2010

All three candidates for Congress in Virginia’s 9th District got their licks in during Tuesday night’s debate, but the two major-party candidates, Democrat Rick Boucher and Republican Morgan Griffith also spent a good deal of time trying to counter television ads and political mailers that have gone out in recent weeks.

In an interview after the live televised debate, hosted by WDBJ-TV, Channel 7 in Roanoke and simultaneously broadcast by WJHL-TV, Channel 11, Boucher said the “wall-to-wall” ads that have filled the airwaves in the district this year have been “absolutely unprecedented.”

He said they reflect millions in outside money being spent on behalf of Griffith and are eroding his lead in the race.

The latest SurveyUSA poll, released Tuesday and commissioned by WDBJ, showed a statistical dead heat in the race: Griffith had 47 percent and Boucher, 46 percent. Independent candidate Jeremiah Heaton came in at 4 percent, with 3 percent undecided.

Griffith’s press secretary, Marty Gordon, said Tuesday’s poll announcement is “a shot in the arm” for a campaign that feels like its efforts are paying off.

After the debate Tuesday night, Griffith said the live event gave voters an opportunity to see the philosophical difference between the two major candidates.

The question for voters, he said, is whether they support the agenda of Democratic President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi or whether they want someone more conservative.

That was his response during the debate when he was questioned about negative advertising.

“I didn’t make Barack Obama come to Bristol and say, ‘I love Rick Boucher,’ ” he said in response to he question, referencing a political ad that features the comment repeatedly, interspersed with policies unpopular in the 9th.

“What is negative about sharing the love?” Griffith said during the debate.

Pointing out the ties between the 28-year Democratic congressman and the current Democratic leadership in Washington isn’t negative, Griffith said; for those who support the Democratic agenda it’s a positive approach.

The option for those who want something different from that agenda, he said, is to change congressmen.

Boucher called this year’s Republican ads “the most negative campaign in the history of Southwest Virginia.”

In his responses to questions, Boucher pointedly answered some of the attacks made in the Republican ads, declaring that he would never do anything to make seniors think he was going to take away their Medicaid benefits – and he has priorities such as job creation that line up with the priorities of Southwest Virginia.

With all three men standing at separate lecterns on the stage for an hour, the debate seemed a much more formal rundown of the issues than last week’s debate at competing Roanoke station, WSLS-TV, Channel 10.

They talked about jobs, immigration, the war in the middle east, earmark spending, health care and energy policy. In the process, they threw out a few campaign promises.

Boucher pledged to continue to work for the interests of Southwest Virginia in a bipartisan fashion.

Griffith pledged to fight to end wasteful spending by changing the rules for how legislation is made.

Heaton pledged to serve only six years if elected, in confirmation of his belief in term limits.

On health care, Boucher said he’s try to make changes to the recent reform bill that passed. Griffith said he’d work to have it repealed. Heaton said he’d work to get insurance companies out of the conversation between doctors and patients.

Griffith and Heaton said they would oppose cap and trade legislation to regulate carbon dioxide emissions, while Boucher defended his involvement in and vote for the bill.

In a question asking the candidates to compliment one another, Boucher said there’s one thing they all share: a commitment to public service that is commendable and a noble calling.

In a less warm-and-fuzzy moment, Heaton attacked Griffith for defending, as a lawyer, people accused of murder and driving under the influence, and for being married in a cemetery.

Griffith stuck up for his choice spot for his wedding, and his clients, who are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Afterward, Boucher said the debate was “a useful exercise” that allowed voters to hear where all three candidates stand on the issues. Heaton said it helped voters realize there is another alternative to unseat Boucher.

The debate concluded with an outside-the-rules exchange that was mostly caught on air.

Heaton, in his concluding remarks, took the opportunity for one final dig, calling Griffith a “carpetbagger” for running in the 9th when he lives 30 feet outside the line.

Griffith asked for an opportunity to rebut the statement, but was told there wasn’t any time.

“I live this far outside the district,” he said.

Even with the moderator’s comment “We can take it up outside,” Heaton got the last word.

“If it was baseball,” he said, “you would be out.”

Griffith said the issue was not taken outside. They shook hands, he said, and ended the evening on a cordial note.

Life has many choices---eternity two

What adjustments would you make, if you still wanted to use this ball? Or would you just recommend to change balls entirely to a less reactive ball?

Me, personally, I'd go with a weaker ball...one with a higher RG and a weaker coverstock. But which one would depend on how much, or little, oil is actually on the lane and how long/short the pattern is. If you wanted to use the same ball, you would need to make a coverstock change. The VG is a solid which came with a 4000 abralon finish and has a low RG (2.48). Since 4000 abralon is the finest grit that abralon comes in, I think your next logical step would be to put a coat of polish on it. Go light at first and if your still getting the same reaction/pin action, add another coat. Don't go heavy/shiny right off the get go...do it a little at a time until you find something that works. This takes time and patience...that's why I would go with a ball change...

Note: One thing a lot of bowlers don't "get" is that a strong ball won't hook when there isn't enough oil. They think the ball is a "dud"...not strong enough...when in reality, they are simply using it when they shouldn't. Strong balls need a lot of oil to work the way they are supposed to.

seems that Boucher and Heaton may have privately come to some agreement "behind the scenes."

Seriously? You've been watching to many "paid for by ppl. you've never heard of before" ads.

Did you not know Heaton & Boucher have a commonality? Mrs. B.

http://articles.wdbj7.com/2010-10-21/jeremiah-heaton_24146924

Seriously? You've been watching to many "paid for by ppl. you've never heard of before" ads.

Did you not know Heaton & Boucher have a commonality? Mrs. B.

http://articles.wdbj7.com/2010-10-21/jeremiah-heaton_24146924

I just happended upon the debate flipping through my local channels, saw they were live streaming it and posted link on here for those who might be interested in watching.

Would not have posted anything else on this thread, but Observer ask about a recap of debate, so I responded to his post.

Missed the opening statements by the candidates, but watched the rest. Just giving my honest assessment of how I perceived each one. I think most have already made their decision and these debates are really for the undecided voters.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Me, personally, I'd go with a weaker ball...one with a higher RG and a weaker coverstock. But which one would depend on how much, or little, oil is actually on the lane and how long/short the pattern is. If you wanted to use the same ball, you would need to make a coverstock change. The VG is a solid which came with a 4000 abralon finish and has a low RG (2.48). Since 4000 abralon is the finest grit that abralon comes in, I think your next logical step would be to put a coat of polish on it. Go light at first and if your still getting the same reaction/pin action, add another coat. Don't go heavy/shiny right off the get go...do it a little at a time until you find something that works. This takes time and patience...that's why I would go with a ball change...

Note: One thing a lot of bowlers don't "get" is that a strong ball won't hook when there isn't enough oil. They think the ball is a "dud"...not strong enough...when in reality, they are simply using it when they shouldn't. Strong balls need a lot of oil to work the way they are supposed to.

My Hammer has a slightly higher RG and a weaker coverstock, so I believe that it's the next most reasonable option. It has a thin coat of polish on it already (from where I've used it on drier lanes at other houses), so I hope that it will be more effective when I need it. I'm going to try to avoid putting any polish on the Virtual Gravity if I can, because ABC West can really put the oil down sometimes.

I had a hunch that the VG wasn't hooking as well because the oil wasn't proper for it, and it's nice to have some confirmation of that. It would also explain why other bowlers are getting better movement and action with considerably weaker balls.

I'll bowl again tomorrow evening, and I'll keep you posted as to how I do. It'll be much better this week.

TBG, I thank you for posting the recap of the debate. I just feel poorly that you took flack for it, and took it very unneccessarily.

It sounds as if Griffith conducted himself well, while Heaton might've just shot his cause in the foot. I, too, feel as if Heaton's only purpose is to distract voters away from Griffith to give Boucher a better chance.

Sabato's Crystal Ball still shows the 9th as leaning slightly Democratic, though it does give me a fair bit of hope that polling data is out there that shows Griffith with a slight lead.

I hope, and pray, that there's change come November 2nd. For the first time in my life, there's a chance to oust Boucher. It may be the only time before Boucher retires/dies.

If Griffith wins, it will be interesting to see how the General Assembly gerrymanders the congressional districts to not put he and Goodlatte in the same district.

If Boucher loses, it may also be the last time we see a Congressman from far SWVA for decades.