Classless coach at Graham

frito gonzales

That assumes way too much.

Now let me make assumptions.

I think you have a personal grudge against him and the only way you're willing to "get back" at him is by bashing him on message boards under the veil of That Which Is Best For Graham Football. If Graham were 9-1, would you be saying the same thing even if "WeeCee" was acting the same way? It's an honest question.

I don't think anyone wants to "get back' at him. We want him gone away from our children period. Most of us never wanted him anyway, but the powers that be in Tazewell gave him the job without interviewing any qualified candidates in the first place. But don't worry a day of reckoning is coming soon. He better get ready.......

If glynn Jr came back then we might have a chance. Might... I mean when I played for him on jv the year his dad died we were running plays that marrs only wished he could have thought about. We ended losing only one game by 4 points. Then a 4 years later with Doug we go 4 and 7 somethings wrong there don't cha think? Wee cee has no idea what he is doing and neither does Doug. The only reason he nice to you Alex is because you guys kiss his ass. Ask the seniors that I played with how he treated me after I got hurt! Like a piece of sh*t. I never bowed down to him in 4 years maybee that's what's wrong with that place now.

If this isn't the most damning indictment imaginable, I don't know what is.

In about 95% of cases, players talk reverentially and positive about former coaches.

Real, live, uncut.

Marrs is as arrogant as it gets. I'm not sure why he is so arrogant because he has never really accomplished anything. It is very easy not to like him because of the way he carries himself. I'm from the outside looking in so I'm sure his players can't stand him either. He is not a good coach, not a coach the kids like, there a complaints on how he treats the kids so what are you Graham people waiting for.

You can complain about him as much as you want but until you get off the message boards and do something about it he will remain the coach. As arrogant as this man is you would imagine he has a state championship ring on every finger. He needs to be run out of town and you guys are the only ones that can do it.

Preach it, brother. Bluefield needs ACTION to change the state of affairs.

I think you have a personal grudge against him and the only way you're willing to "get back" at him is by bashing him on message boards under the veil of That Which Is Best For Graham Football. If Graham were 9-1, would you be saying the same thing even if "WeeCee" was acting the same way? It's an honest question.

This is getting ridiculous.

My friend, I can agree with you and GetMoney when you both ask us to look at the hierarchy of concerns within our lives. True, what happens in Graham High School is a fair bit down the ladder on my list of concerns. However, I for one am blessed that God's meeting all the concerns in my life right now (and giving me the strength to succeed in law school), so I can turn my time toward more leisurely pursuits. This happens to be one of them.

I know I'm more disconnected from the situation than most people on this topic. Perhaps I'm just too loyal for my own good, but I care deeply about what happens at my almae matres. I'm very sympathetic to the fact that Bluefield, Virginia is a small town, and football is what rallies that town together unlike anything else. Like the Kenny Chesney song: "in little towns like mine, that's all they got." For generations, it's molded boys into men and energized Bluefield every fall.

You know the role football's played at Graham as well as I do. It builds character and integrity in those boys, and it keeps them focused on the right things in life; Doug's abrasive attitude is keeping them away (including my cousins) and killing what confidence remains in them. You saw "Graham32"s post. Those words kill me, man. If that young man's willing to say those things publicly, knowing full well most can figure out who he is, we can imagine what other former and current players think. It's criminal how Doug has under-served those boys since Carlock passed. He can send players to D-I schools, but he can't break .500. Doesn't add up.

Speaking of wins and losses, coaching can make so much difference in high school football. Look at Carlock: even in the mid-80s, Graham didn't do well, but he didn't change the way he did things. He was rough and salty, but he genuinely cared for his players and knew how to build unity. You have a coach like that, you're going to bust yourself winning for him. Doug and Wee-Cee are rough and salty, but without the love, care, and concern for their players. Public berating and lazy instruction don't show the pride that Doug and Wee-Cee pretend that they're instilling in those boys. Add to that Doug's generous donation to Princeton, and it reflects poorly on him as a person. To the main point, though: there's a correlation between winning, pride, and commitment.

I'm going to make a comparison with Graham and VT, and I hope that it ends up not being apples-to-oranges, and hopefully ends up being apples-to-apples. I'd place a wager that you have issues with Bryan Stinespring. Heck, I know I would, if I were a VT fan. Now, assuming you do, what are the motivations behind those issues? Is it that Stinespring runs a counter-intuitive, poorly-designed offense? Is it that Stinespring causes dissention in the fanbase? Is it that Stinespring's tactics turn close wins into close losses? Is it that Stinespring's style keeps recruits/players away? Again, assuming that you take issue with Stinespring, would any of those be the reason?

D. Marrs and Wee-Cee fail all four of those questions I posed above. Yes, I'm fully aware of the difference in magnitude between the two programs. But if any of the above apply, what justification can you give for being frustrated about the one and not so much about the other? Of if you're equally frustrated about both, what seems to be the difference? I would assume that you would replace Stinespring if you could, right? At Graham, the people in Bluefield have a realistic shot to replace their Stinespring. Griping on a message board won't do that, but positive action will. That's what I'm suggesting.

I'm sorry to ramble on. I just felt like rambling, I guess. And I'm not singling you out either, bud, wouldn't do that for the world. Just felt compelled to type this 1000 word thesis.

Edited by UVAObserver

My grudge against him is that he constantly puts down and degrades his players without ever giving any praise for anything, or any kind of positive motivation. Yes we are only talking about small town football in a small town, but to the kids on this team its very important to have good coaching from men who can be positive and motivate. I honestly wouldn't care if we were undefeated...if he was acting this way I'd still want him gone from coaching. I don't think a real man would put down kids and say everything he can to break their spirit..esp after they just played their heart out and were upset after a loss. These kids have played hurt...worked thru two-a-days, and done everything asked of them by this coach and the other coaches. WeeCee can't even tell them to keep their heads up or to keep working...nothing positive.

I have brought this to someone's attention who could make a difference and it went nowhere. So maybe if more people are aware and start voicing their concerns someone who can make the change will. Thats why I brought it the message board if thats ok with you?

There is your honest answer.

I think you all need to chill out. This is high school football, not the NFL. You all need to get lives that have real concerns. This is high school football in a small town in Virginia. Get over yourselves. If the biggest concern in your lives as grown men is to get on a message board and trash a coach of a high school football team, then you need a serious reality check. Worry about your faith, your families, your money, your job, etc. This is ridiculous.

Really? This is between the fans of the G-Men and Doug. Butt out.

Speaking of wins and losses, coaching can make so much difference in high school football. Look at Carlock: even in the mid-80s, Graham didn't do well, but he didn't change the way he did things. He was rough and salty, but he genuinely cared for his players and knew how to build unity. You have a coach like that, you're going to bust yourself winning for him. Doug and Wee-Cee are rough and salty, but without the love, care, and concern for their players. Public berating and lazy instruction don't show the pride that Doug and Wee-Cee pretend that they're instilling in those boys. Add to that Doug's generous donation to Princeton, and it reflects poorly on him as a person. To the main point, though: there's a correlation between winning, pride, and commitment.

Being away from the area for so long, I don't really have a leg to stand on here. I'm not around the program enough to have heard of any public berating or "Doug's generous donation to Princeton". But at the same time, I understand the roughness and saltiness that Carlock, Marrs, and Jones bring, even though I don't know if I'm willing to concede that the latter two coaches go about their business without concern for their players. If they do, then what's their motivation for coaching? There certainly isn't a paycheck worth all the hours they put in waiting on them. So then are they only concerned about the title of "Graham Football Coach" and the status that brings in the Bluefield area? Honestly, it just doesn't add up.

And Observer, you said it earlier. These are all pretty damning indictments against these two gentlemen. Lest we forget, Marrs and Jones have both put quality hours into Graham High School athletics (Marrs was a good enough assistant to be looked at for the Head job; Jones had quality years on the basketball court as Graham's head coach). I don't know that a couple years of losing merits this type of response.

So I think my final response is that yes, I want Graham to continue its tradition of winning, even if that means parting ways with a couple of coaches. But we don't have to drag Marrs' and Jones' name through the mud to continue that tradition.

ok let me add to this i have nothing against marrs i actually know the man personally and his family mother father brother and everyone. he is a good man outside of the football program so i feel that he needs to move on myself and let someone who can help the program take over. he has had several years to turn this around and has not . and i know there are kids that will not play because of the coaching staff. and even if he won all his games this year i still would want a change because of how the staff treats the kids. wins and losses are not the problem here it is attitude and how they react and teach the kids. so you need to get off your high horse and move on yourself.

ok let me add to this i have nothing against marrs i actually know the man personally and his family mother father brother and everyone. he is a good man outside of the football program so i feel that he needs to move on myself and let someone who can help the program take over. he has had several years to turn this around and has not . and i know there are kids that will not play because of the coaching staff. and even if he won all his games this year i still would want a change because of how the staff treats the kids. wins and losses are not the problem here it is attitude and how they react and teach the kids. so you need to get off your high horse and move on yourself.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was never on a high horse.

I have not been around the program nearly enough lately to make a strong argument against the general sentiment on these forums. I can only base my arguments on what I know from my days in the area. And from what I saw during that time, this response doesn't agree with my observations of Marrs and Jones.

But if there is pretty much unanimous agreement that the general attitude of the program is off, then I have no leg to stand on about the contrary. Things can change in the years I've been away, and I just hope GHS can get through this without compromising the reputation of Marrs and Jones.

First off, I never played for the man. I did however have him as a teacher, and I have nothing but respect from him. He was one of my teachers who taught me to have respect for those who are in authority over me. He may indeed need to move on, and resign as coach of GHS. I would however gently caution anyone from making personal attacks against him. There is a time and a place to speak your mind, and I believe that would be at the TCSB meeting. God Bless.

First off, I never played for the man. I did however have him as a teacher, and I have nothing but respect from him. He was one of my teachers who taught me to have respect for those who are in authority over me. He may indeed need to move on, and resign as coach of GHS. I would however gently caution anyone from making personal attacks against him. There is a time and a place to speak your mind, and I believe that would be at the TCSB meeting. God Bless.

like i have said as a person he is a good man but as a coach he does leave something to be desired and i know from my grandkids that how he acts towards the players is not what this program is use to and the kids are use to. for a coach to move a game so he could go to a college game that his son did not play in was not in the best intrest of the ghs program. his first priority is and should always be the football team. you have to give up some things when you are a head coach. if he wants to watch his son play that is fine but not at the expense of the football program and kids. so this and how i have been told my my grandkids on how things are is how i base my opinion on him. nothing against him personally but only as a coach.

Being away from the area for so long, I don't really have a leg to stand on here. I'm not around the program enough to have heard of any public berating or "Doug's generous donation to Princeton". But at the same time, I understand the roughness and saltiness that Carlock, Marrs, and Jones bring, even though I don't know if I'm willing to concede that the latter two coaches go about their business without concern for their players. If they do, then what's their motivation for coaching? There certainly isn't a paycheck worth all the hours they put in waiting on them. So then are they only concerned about the title of "Graham Football Coach" and the status that brings in the Bluefield area? Honestly, it just doesn't add up.

And Observer, you said it earlier. These are all pretty damning indictments against these two gentlemen. Lest we forget, Marrs and Jones have both put quality hours into Graham High School athletics (Marrs was a good enough assistant to be looked at for the Head job; Jones had quality years on the basketball court as Graham's head coach). I don't know that a couple years of losing merits this type of response.

So I think my final response is that yes, I want Graham to continue its tradition of winning, even if that means parting ways with a couple of coaches. But we don't have to drag Marrs' and Jones' name through the mud to continue that tradition.

All fair points, my friend. I would say that I am guilty of some of that muckraking, and I should refrain from continuing to do so on the scale I have been. D. Marrs was the architect of those great defenses in the '90s and early-00s, and Jones did do well when he had an incredible amount of talent in the early-00s.

Though, a good DC does not a good HC make. Three things just get my goad: (1) giving away the Princeton gate, (2) the accusations of former players, and (3) the political situation that doesn't allow changes to be made. None of them have anything to do with Xs and Os or perennial underachieving. I could stand the subpar seasons, if the little things are done right. For the kids' sakes, I just have my doubts, I guess.

I did spend last summer back home, and having my cousins now going into Graham High, I'm getting more reattached as time goes on. So much has stayed the same, but much which has changed since we were there last hasn't been very positive.

I can see Coach Jones saying that to the kids, God only knows the things I heard when I played. But yeah there is time and a place for it and right after a game like that and depending on the context he was using when saying was probably not appropriate. I never had anything against Coach Jones. Given when I played he was more of a QB coach and never had any real dealings with him besides the few times he would rag me in school about something I did wrong in the last game or something. But I never took it personal, I just knew/figured it was his way of coaching. Now on about Coach Marrs, yeah I never really cared for him as a coach. Again when I played he was more of offensive coach (mostly for the backs) and being a lineman I only interacted with him when I would screw up or something. But I know then and I know now there would be no way I would of ever played for him if he were head coach. Just my opinion. I hate to see the program decline as much as it has over the past few years since Coach died. Given there will never be a coach at Graham like him or as good or as respected (again my opinion) as him. I think Marrs needs to step away which knowing him he won't just give up the position which is why I do agree that taking to the TCSB is probably will need to happen to have him gone as head coach. Personally I don't think he would be a bad Assistant again, given I wouldn't think he would want to step back like that. But yeah something needs to be done. Maybe within a couple years when these kids at GMS get up to the high school if they still want to play at GHS we will have a great team again. But again it just depends on if they want to play or not (if Coach Marrs is still there).

I can see Coach Jones saying that to the kids, God only knows the things I heard when I played. But yeah there is time and a place for it and right after a game like that and depending on the context he was using when saying was probably not appropriate. I never had anything against Coach Jones. Given when I played he was more of a QB coach and never had any real dealings with him besides the few times he would rag me in school about something I did wrong in the last game or something. But I never took it personal, I just knew/figured it was his way of coaching. Now on about Coach Marrs, yeah I never really cared for him as a coach. Again when I played he was more of offensive coach (mostly for the backs) and being a lineman I only interacted with him when I would screw up or something. But I know then and I know now there would be no way I would of ever played for him if he were head coach. Just my opinion. I hate to see the program decline as much as it has over the past few years since Coach died. Given there will never be a coach at Graham like him or as good or as respected (again my opinion) as him. I think Marrs needs to step away which knowing him he won't just give up the position which is why I do agree that taking to the TCSB is probably will need to happen to have him gone as head coach. Personally I don't think he would be a bad Assistant again, given I wouldn't think he would want to step back like that. But yeah something needs to be done. Maybe within a couple years when these kids at GMS get up to the high school if they still want to play at GHS we will have a great team again. But again it just depends on if they want to play or not (if Coach Marrs is still there).

amen to this boy. you and i both know the marrs family pretty good from church and all but as a person doug is ok but not as a coach anymore.

I plan to attend the TCSB meeting, I hope that the best interest of the children is the concern. My issue with Marrs and Jones pretty much the same as everyone else. My son plays for the team and he is pretty good, not the best.

He plays JV and does an excellent job, played Varsity until I angered Marrs about an injury. I called him to talk about the fact that he told my son he wasn't good enough for Varsity anymore. He told me that my child gave his all to the JV coaches but he had given up on himself when it came to Varsity. I asked him if that told him anything and he said "he isn't ready and doesn't have heart for Varsity". This kid plays his heart out, did play varisty until I made Doug mad. (Go figure) Doug told me and I quote "Sweetheart, there is something you will learn about me. I don't care what anyone thinks about me, except my wife, children and players". Apparently that is only a select group of players. I know I am not the only parent that has a child that was treated this way. I don't care if they win every game, but I do care how my son feels when a person in Marrs and Jones position speaks to them. Why do we sit back and let this happen? Remember the days when your parents went to the school and reminded them that you were their child and this stuff didn't happen? I know from talking to them that a lot of people in Bluefield are afraid to say anything because their kids will suffer for it. People so easily forget that they have a voice and a recourse. I speak only from my own experience with these two men. I watched Jones jerk a lineman all over the place because he went for the sack and not the "route" he told him run. I just hope that everyone will remember that the children are what matters and as many have said, there are a lot of kids at GHS that would love to play football but won't because of the coaching staff. I personally do not really understand the in's and out's of football and to me it's a game, but to my son and many others it is everything.

I plan to attend the TCSB meeting, I hope that the best interest of the children is the concern. My issue with Marrs and Jones pretty much the same as everyone else. My son plays for the team and he is pretty good, not the best.

He plays JV and does an excellent job, played Varsity until I angered Marrs about an injury. I called him to talk about the fact that he told my son he wasn't good enough for Varsity anymore. He told me that my child gave his all to the JV coaches but he had given up on himself when it came to Varsity. I asked him if that told him anything and he said "he isn't ready and doesn't have heart for Varsity". This kid plays his heart out, did play varisty until I made Doug mad. (Go figure) Doug told me and I quote "Sweetheart, there is something you will learn about me. I don't care what anyone thinks about me, except my wife, children and players". Apparently that is only a select group of players. I know I am not the only parent that has a child that was treated this way. I don't care if they win every game, but I do care how my son feels when a person in Marrs and Jones position speaks to them. Why do we sit back and let this happen? Remember the days when your parents went to the school and reminded them that you were their child and this stuff didn't happen? I know from talking to them that a lot of people in Bluefield are afraid to say anything because their kids will suffer for it. People so easily forget that they have a voice and a recourse. I speak only from my own experience with these two men. I watched Jones jerk a lineman all over the place because he went for the sack and not the "route" he told him run. I just hope that everyone will remember that the children are what matters and as many have said, there are a lot of kids at GHS that would love to play football but won't because of the coaching staff. I personally do not really understand the in's and out's of football and to me it's a game, but to my son and many others it is everything.

well said and i agree totally with you.