spadaro

fieldgeneral

Rumors flying......anyone heard anything?

Yup; a good friend passed along some intriguing information. As I pointed out, however, Spadaro has dodged the assassination bullet for years now. Then again, there's no doubt he has to be on his last leg.

Beckley radio announcers said that Spadero was coaching his last game last night, mentioned it several times...and what a way to go out...on the wrong side of a 67-12 score...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x21033950/Players-citizens-stand-in-support-of-PSHS-coach

PRINCETON — Students, coaches and concerned citizens spoke out Tuesday in support of Princeton Senior High School head football coach Ted Spadaro during a packed meeting of the Mercer County Board of Education.

School Superintendent Dr. Deborah Akers said a complaint had been filed against the football program at Princeton Senior High School. She didn’t elaborate on the nature of the complaint, and Board of Education President Greg Prudich warned the speakers Tuesday that they would not be allowed to address specifics regarding the complaint.

“I’m assuming people are here to show their support for Coach Spadaro,” Prudich told the large crowd at the start of Tuesday’s board meeting. “That’s fine. I’m glad to listen to it. But I have to caution you that we are not talking about specific events or things you saw or heard. If you are here to support your coach, I think that is wonderful. But keep it on topic please. This is not the place and time to talk about specifics.”

One by one, students, football players, coaches and concerned citizens addressed the board.

“I’ve seen kids come into that building when they lost their parents, when they had nothing to eat, and coach took care of them,” Scott Kephart, a concerned citizen, said. “We always discuss the players and their injuries and their hurts. And most of you all know football is a very tough sport. You play with hurts. But coach said he would never play a kid that had an injury, or would never play a child that could develop a problem from what was going on on that football field. The football field is a tough place. You cross the line and you are in battle.”

“He (Spadaro) cares about every one person that has come across him,” Keith Anderson, an assistant coach with the Tigers team, said. “He’s never taught these children anything other than to respect themselves.”

“If you want to talk about coach Spadaro as a man — that goes unspeakable,” Will Adkins, who said he played for Spadaro for four seasons, said. “There is not a man I’ve ever played for who cares so much about his team. He treated everyone fairly and honestly, and there is not many high school team programs that have what Princeton High School and Mercer Schools have to offer. I really have to give all of my success back to the coaching staff because they shape you into what you are going to be.”

Akers said she couldn’t comment on the nature of the complaint.

“I really don’t think I can make any comment,” Akers said. “A complaint has been made and we are investigating that complaint.”

Akers said the board is still investigating the complaint. She said she didn’t know when the board would render a decision.

— Contact Charles Owens at cowens@bdtonline.com

But coach said he would never play a kid that had an injury, or would never play a child that could develop a problem from what was going on on that football field.

Tevin Allen returned to the field after suffering a serious knee injury early in the Bluefield game this year. Regardless, I hope Princeton keeps Spadaro around for another 20 years.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Tevin Allen returned to the field after suffering an serious knee injury early in the Bluefield game this year. Regardless, I hope Princeton keeps Spadaro around for another 20 years.

I thought about that when I read this. Didn't Allen injure that knee before the Bluefield game?

Guest StoneyCalhoun

I hear it is coming from an event of Spadaro shaking a kid. Again, this comes from good sources, but they doubt the validity of the situation.

Granted, Spadaro is not Freddy Simon when it comes to winning games, but the majority of Princeton people believe that he is a good person.

I believe all of this stems from parents looking for a way to get Spadaro out. And if that is the case, to ruin this man's reputation, just to win a few more games... SHAME ON THEM. That is not at all the way to do things.

As a Bluefield grad, I don't have a dog in this hunt. My feelings are this:

I have no idea if he had an incident that warrants this attention. I'll leave that up to the folks involved in this alleged incident. Unrelated to this incident, Princeton football has been pretty horrible for a while (does anybody have a link to, or a list of, Princeton's record the last decade or so?). I get the impression that the game has passed Spadaro by, and that he is likely not getting the full potential out of his team.

From a selfish perspective (as a BHS grad), I agree, I'd love to see Spadaro on the sideline losing to Bluefield for years to come.

I don't know how it works at the school board/superintendent level, if a coach is a perennial loser. How is a coach let go for losing a lot of games? Does it take making an allegation of something else happening? Does Spadaro have allies at the school level, or at the school board level, that he's pretty well entrenched (outside of an incident)?

I can't help thinking of the similarities (and differences) between this and the Marrs situation at Graham. It sounds like down on the Va side, that Marrs has powerful allies (the principal) to keep him well-insulated and where losing his job is almost impossible.

Big picture: Who decides to fire a coach? Can an athletic director make that decision (with Marrs, he is the A.D, right?)? Can a principal make that decision? Does it take school board approval for a principal to do it? Or, does it take the school board to do it completely? I'm just not familiar with the mechanics of removing a high school coach.

As a Bluefield grad, I don't have a dog in this hunt. My feelings are this:

I have no idea if he had an incident that warrants this attention. I'll leave that up to the folks involved in this alleged incident. Unrelated to this incident, Princeton football has been pretty horrible for a while (does anybody have a link to, or a list of, Princeton's record the last decade or so?). I get the impression that the game has passed Spadaro by, and that he is likely not getting the full potential out of his team.

From a selfish perspective (as a BHS grad), I agree, I'd love to see Spadaro on the sideline losing to Bluefield for years to come.

I don't know how it works at the school board/superintendent level, if a coach is a perennial loser. How is a coach let go for losing a lot of games? Does it take making an allegation of something else happening? Does Spadaro have allies at the school level, or at the school board level, that he's pretty well entrenched (outside of an incident)?

I can't help thinking of the similarities (and differences) between this and the Marrs situation at Graham. It sounds like down on the Va side, that Marrs has powerful allies (the principal) to keep him well-insulated and where losing his job is almost impossible.

Big picture: Who decides to fire a coach? Can an athletic director make that decision (with Marrs, he is the A.D, right?)? Can a principal make that decision? Does it take school board approval for a principal to do it? Or, does it take the school board to do it completely? I'm just not familiar with the mechanics of removing a high school coach.

On the school level, coaching contracts are year to year. Every year the principal submits a list of recommendations to the board. If the principal so chooses, he can recommend whom ever he/she wants for the position. They do not have to technically "fire" the coach.

unfortuantly you cant fire a coach if the performance of your team is not that great because of some teachers union crap. as a princeton grad and going through that football program for 4 years, there definitely needs to be in change of leadership. the whole program is a cancer right now that will only worsen and worsen

unfortuantly you cant fire a coach if the performance of your team is not that great because of some teachers union crap. as a princeton grad and going through that football program for 4 years, there definitely needs to be in change of leadership. the whole program is a cancer right now that will only worsen and worsen

"Teacher Union crap" has nothing to do with it. It's the principal's job...nobody has to be "fired" at all as one poster said. The coach doesn't have to be offered the coaching contract...it is totally separate from a teaching contract. Any person who is not performing their job can be removed at any time in the school system. It just takes a little more effort to remove a tenured teacher. No union shenanigans or nothing going on, just have to go through a formal process to get rid of a teacher who has gone through the evaluation process and lasted for more than 3 years.....

spadaro can and will stay for as long as HE wants. the program is a joke now with kids coming and going to practice when they want. yet they are still starters and even captains of the team. i have not been to a game in 2 years and refuse to go until spadaro is no longer there. so i may never get to see them play again. as far as the latest incident i am like everyone else...just heard rumors . i agree with some i am sure it is blown out of proportion but if the man truly wanted to see the program be better he would accept some responsibility for it and retire but he wont. unless there is some hidden agenda behind his showing of support this past week, princeton and spadaro deserve each other completely.

Edited by capanther
changes