Mike Leach to Maryland..expect it soon.

wvuraiders

Sources said that former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach would be the leading candidate to replace Friedgen if he is forced into retirement, with former Washington coach Tyrone Willingham and current New Mexico coach Mike Locksley also candidates for the job.

You don't always get who you want...what would make Maryland "special" enough for Leach to take the job?

If he turns it down, Willingham and/or Locksley would be a step down from the Fridge in my opinion...history has shown Willingham is a less than stellar coach (sub .500 career coaching record) and even though Locksley has ties to Maryland and the DC/Baltimore area, his head coaching record is awful, 2-22 in two seasons at New Mexico.

7 bowl games in 10 years and ACC coach of the year in 2010 means NOTHING!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bal-ralph-friedgen-james-franklin-maryland-1218,0,39281.story

Maryland football coach Ralph Friedgen has been told by the university that he cannot coach the team next season, according to officials familiar with the situation.

Friedgen has been asked to retire, but the coach, in his 10th season, has not agreed to do that, sources say. If he continues to decline to retire, that leaves Maryland with the option of forcing him out and buying out the final season of his roughly $2 million-a-year contract.

Friedgen has been talking with Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson about his future, but no new talks are scheduled this weekend.

Friedgen, the Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year, has said he particularly enjoys coaching this team, which went 8-4 this season after a 2-10 campaign that almost cost him his job a year ago.

Multiple sources have indicated that former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is a likely target of Maryland's coaching search. Leach's agent said today that Leach has not been contacted by Maryland officials -- or any of the school's prominent boosters -- about replacing Friedgen.

In fact, Gary O'Hagan discounted media reports that surfaced Friday that the 50-year-old Leach could be headed to College Park anytime soon.

"Ralph's still the coach, right?," said O'Hagan, who also represents Maryland defensive coordinator Don Brown and Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

Longtime booster and Terrapin Club member Chuck Corcoran said that that the rumors of Friedgen being asked to retire began "flying" earlier this week, when Franklin was reported to be the top candidate at Vanderbilt. While appreciative of what Friedgen has done for the program by taking the team to seven bowls in 10 years, Corcoran said that Anderson's decision not to give Friedgen an extension makes sense.

"Obviously he's looking at the financial part of it," Corcoran said. "Football is going to bring in $2 million less [than projected]. I don't know what that does for the bottom line, but that's probably a loss to the bottom line. You can't support 27 sports with basketball being the only sport making money."

Corcoran said having essentially a lame-duck coach next season was likely the impetus for Anderson's decision.

"I think the bigger issue is that if Kevin Anderson is not going to renew Ralph's contract next year, why let recruiting linger in limbo for two years?" Corcoran said. "From a recruiting standpoint and a stability standpoint for the program, it makes sense to buy him out and move forward, turn the page."

Corcoran thought Leach would be a "great hire" because of his track record at Texas Tech.

"From what I know of his record, he has an exciting offense and ... if he can get the players, it should be exciting," Corcoran said.

Cody Hodges, one of several quarterbacks who flourished in Leach's high-scoring spread offense, said that his former coach got a "bad rap" after being fired at Texas Tech.

While saying that he is still loyal to both his alma mater and to Leach, Hodges said, "I'm glad somebody is going to give him a second chance. He's a great coach to play for."

A source close to the Maryland football program said Saturday that Friedgen hasn't addressed the coaching staff, but a meeting is scheduled for Sunday morning because it's a recruiting weekend on campus.

Friedgen's job status became uncertain when Maryland decided it wanted to hire a coach for the long term, rather than have Friedgen return as a lame duck by serving out the final season of his contract.

"I'm very grateful for what Coach Friedgen has done in restoring Maryland football, but it was also quite obvious that enthusiasm was down in terms of tickets sold and financial support for the program," said Fabian Jimenez, a former member of the Maryland Gridiron Network's executive board. "... I feel it's better that if Mr. Anderson had no intention of renewing Ralph's contract after next year, instead of stringing him on for another year if he was going to make a move, it's totally logical to me why he has to do that."

Edited by bhs7695

You don't always get who you want...what would make Maryland "special" enough for Leach to take the job?

If he turns it down, Willingham and/or Locksley would be a step down from the Fridge in my opinion...history has shown Willingham is a less than stellar coach (sub .500 career coaching record) and even though Locksley has ties to Maryland and the DC/Baltimore area, his head coaching record is awful, 2-22 in two seasons at New Mexico.

Locksley is pathetic, and should never have another major college football HC job.

Willingham is likewise close, driving ND and Washington straight into the ground.

Leach is a concern, though. There's some talent for MD to choose from.

And BTW, this just gives us another reason to hate UMD.

• 2 weeks later...

Guest The Variable

I hated how the whole Leach thing went down. I really want to see him Bobby Knight those jerks at Texas Tech and the James family.

All Texas Tech taught kids by firing Leach was that if your daddy is popular, even if your game sucks you can still blackmail the coach into more playing time.

As far as Maryland is concerned...I hope Leach goes elsewhere. I was pissed when SF let go of Mariucci after taking them to the playoffs. Stupid decisions by people who should know better. They are acting like Gator fans.

Guest The Variable
chomp! Chomp! Chomp! Lol!!!

Whenever I see a pro football player do that, I want to barf. You arent in college anymore, toolsheds. Dwight Freeney salutes, Garcon points to his name with his thumb, Neil Smith had the home run swing and I think Tony Gonzalez started the slam dunk on the goal posts.

Pro-style, youre in the big leagues now.

So, the Terps toss out a award-winning Freidg for an Edsall.

------

Who is this David Ginsburg, and why is he working for the AP?

"Randy Edsall, who diligently worked to build the Connecticut football program into a winner, has been hired to pull off a similar feat at Maryland."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14495202/by-david-ginsburg?source=rss_teams_Connecticut_Huskies