How did Oregon . . . .

Big Orange 1

put up 52 points on Stanford's defense? All I've heard is how good their offense was, but the defense is "lights out".

I had to look back and remind myself how this game went. Here’s a link to the box score. Oregon’s defense shut out Stanford’s offense in the second half.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/stanfb05.html

The final score was 52-31, and Oregon put 28 on them in the second half.

At that point in the season Oregon’s offense was clicking on all cylinders. They had 388 yds. rushing and 238 yds. passing for a total of 626 yards. Stanford had 177 yds rushing and 341 passing for 518 total yards. Luck was intercepted once in the end zone to stop a Stanford drive in the 4th quarter. 83 total points scored. It looks like the Stanford defense didn’t show up in the second half of this one.

Edited by blueinbama

Guest The Variable
More like light years, but this.

Im no Oregon fan, but it would be nice to see that smug SEC smirk wiped off the face of every SEC blowhard out there.

I loved watching TCU beat Wisconsin after Ohio State opened its mouth about a mediocre big 10.

I watched the Stanford/ Oregon game and the thing that caught my attention was that Oregon's pace of play wore the Stanford D out. Stanford's weakness on D was lack of depth.

That game and the Orange bowl were similar in one respect; the superior team dominated a close game in the second half.

Stanford was up big on Oregon early in that game. But the thing with Oregon is the pace that they play with on offense. It wears you down. Stanford had some very good players on defense. As you seen the middle linebacker played both ways. So I don't think they have a ton of depth. That is what beat them in the second half of that game. They just wore down.

I can't see Oregon beating Auburn like that. I think even though Oregon's defense is ranked higher. I believe Auburn has the better defense and has the depth to keep people fresh. Fairley is a beast and they have some good linebackers. I think Aurburn will win this game big. That is JMO. But I don't think Oregon has seen a team like Auburn this year. That includes Stanford.

Stanford was up big on Oregon early in that game. But the thing with Oregon is the pace that they play with on offense. It wears you down. Stanford had some very good players on defense. As you seen the middle linebacker played both ways. So I don't think they have a ton of depth. That is what beat them in the second half of that game. They just wore down.

I can't see Oregon beating Auburn like that. I think even though Oregon's defense is ranked higher. I believe Auburn has the better defense and has the depth to keep people fresh. Fairley is a beast and they have some good linebackers. I think Aurburn will win this game big. That is JMO. But I don't think Oregon has seen a team like Auburn this year. That includes Stanford.

Oregon beat Stanford with speed. Auburn is a more physical team, as are most teams in the SEC. If it comes down to Auburn having the lead in the 4th quarter, they will probably be able to run clock and put Oregon away. But if Auburn starts slow, and the Ducks get up by 2 or 3 touchdowns, I doubt Auburn will be able to recover. This could be where the SEC's championship run comes to an end. That said, it's been a helluva run, and there is no arguing the dominance the SEC has had in the past 4 years. Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't argue with success.

Guest The Variable
Oregon beat Stanford with speed. Auburn is a more physical team, as are most teams in the SEC. If it comes down to Auburn having the lead in the 4th quarter, they will probably be able to run clock and put Oregon away. But if Auburn starts slow, and the Ducks get up by 2 or 3 touchdowns, I doubt Auburn will be able to recover. This could be where the SEC's championship run comes to an end. That said, it's been a helluva run, and there is no arguing the dominance the SEC has had in the past 4 years. Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't argue with success.

No you cannot, thats one of the truest things in life...but its also just as true that you cannot lean on past successes. I dont know if it was Palmer or Howard on Gameday who said that SEC badge on your uniform isnt an automatic ticket to a National Title win.

The SEC, just like the 49ers, or Ford or any other team or company or organization that has dominated its field will in time wane and someone else will step up. This may be that time.

No you cannot, thats one of the truest things in life...but its also just as true that you cannot lean on past successes. I dont know if it was Palmer or Howard on Gameday who said that SEC badge on your uniform isnt an automatic ticket to a National Title win.

The SEC, just like the 49ers, or Ford or any other team or company or organization that has dominated its field will in time wane and someone else will step up. This may be that time.

It may very well be that time...I'm definitely pulling for an Oregon win myself. That said, the SEC is still very strong, and the toughest conference in which to go undefeated bar none. It's very possible the SEC won't win the NC this year, but if that holds true it certainly won't mean its demise by any stretch. Conference success in college football is cyclical, but the SEC is a long way from being dethroned.

Guest The Variable
It may very well be that time...I'm definitely pulling for an Oregon win myself. That said, the SEC is still very strong, and the toughest conference in which to go undefeated bar none. It's very possible the SEC won't win the NC this year, but if that holds true it certainly won't mean its demise by any stretch. Conference success in college football is cyclical, but the SEC is a long way from being dethroned.

Well the ACC sure isnt some threatening upstart or dark horse.

I dont particularly care for the Conferences though, since Im a ND fan. Maybe if the Irish would pick a conference and be done with it, then I would understand the loyalty/rivalry dynamic better.

I would like to see Richmond make Div 1.

Well the ACC sure isnt some threatening upstart or dark horse.

I dont particularly care for the Conferences though, since Im a ND fan. Maybe if the Irish would pick a conference and be done with it, then I would understand the loyalty/rivalry dynamic better.

I would like to see Richmond make Div 1.

Well, Arkansas sure didn’t represent the SEC very well last night. Ohio State gave them every opportunity to take the lead in the 4th quarter, but Arkansas couldn’t take advantage. The blocked put at the end of the game could have been a game winner if the guy would have just scooped it up and ran it in the end zone. He didn’t have to fall on the ball. Even if Ohio State had recovered it would still have been Hogs ball. Too many stupid mistakes, dropped balls, poor play calls by Petrino...3rd and 5 in the 4th quarter and down by one score and you run the ball? Mallett did not impress me as a leader last night. He let the frustration get to him. Props to Ohio State for a great first half, but this was more about the inability of Arkansas in the 4th quarter than anything else IMO.

Edited by blueinbama

Guest The Variable
Well, Arkansas sure didn’t represent the SEC very well last night. Ohio State gave them every opportunity to take the lead in the 4th quarter, but Arkansas couldn’t take advantage. The blocked put at the end of the game could have been a game winner if the guy would have just scooped it up and ran it in the end zone. He didn’t have to fall on the ball. Even if Ohio State had recovered it would still have been Hogs ball. Too many stupid mistakes, dropped balls, poor play calls by Petrino...3rd and 5 in the 4th quarter and down by one score and you run the ball? Mallett did not impress me as a leader last night. He let the frustration get to him. Props to Ohio State for a great first half, but this was more about the inability of Arkansas in the 4th quarter than anything else IMO.

I was VERY suprised that Arkansas didnt take the lead at the end. They did have every opportunity and blew it. Mallett made some pretty good plays, that second touchdown pass was about as perfect as they get...the first one was awesome too. The problem is those two catches seemed to be the only times the recievers actually came up with a catch.

Oh well. We will see how he does in the pros.

Oh well. We will see how he does in the pros.

I’m beginning to think more and more this “dragging out” of the NFL collective bargaining agreement is going affect the decisions of some of these guys.

Edited by blueinbama

Guest The Variable
Ohio State nearly made the biggest choke in BCS history, and if Arkansas didn't stupidly fall on that blocked punt, OSU would've...

I would have laughed long and laughed hard.

I wouldn't have thought they would have recovered in the Bama game. But they can score just as quickly as Oregon.

Listen, I know Auburn is in the SEC but I am for the Ducks. I can't stand Auburn. I was for Penn St vs. FL. I was for Michigan St vs. Bama. I don't pull for teams I don't like just because they play in the same conference as my Vols. Hell, I would pull for the russians before I would ever pull for Alabama. I even pulled for Tech against Alabama.....

I just think Auburn has the better team and I think if you look at who they have beaten and how they got better and better as the season went on. I would have to bet on Auburn. I hope I am wrong. I could be. But I would lay my money on 5 in a row....

I wouldn't have thought they would have recovered in the Bama game. But they can score just as quickly as Oregon.

Listen, I know Auburn is in the SEC but I am for the Ducks. I can't stand Auburn. I was for Penn St vs. FL. I was for Michigan St vs. Bama. I don't pull for teams I don't like just because they play in the same conference as my Vols. Hell, I would pull for the russians before I would ever pull for Alabama. I even pulled for Tech against Alabama.....

I just think Auburn has the better team and I think if you look at who they have beaten and how they got better and better as the season went on. I would have to bet on Auburn. I hope I am wrong. I could be. But I would lay my money on 5 in a row....

Go Ducks! BTW I usually feel the same about Tennessee, but I actually pulled for them in the bowl game. I probably wouldn’t have been able to make myself pull for the Vols if they were still a contender.

Edited by blueinbama

Go Ducks! BTW I usually feel the same about Tennessee, but I actually pulled for them in the bowl game. I probably wouldn’t have been able to make myself pull for the Vols if they were still a contender.

I know exactly what you mean..... I look forward to being hated again..... Hopefully soon......