Giles Co School Bd votes to return 10 Commandments to schools

Whats ridiculous?

The whole thing. Anytime something like this happens, people always get ridiculous. They're okay with letting schools rot and dumping coal ash in the New River but as soon as a piece of cardboard with the ten commandments gets removed, RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

I thought the separation of church and state was clearly defined already.. I just don't see the point.

The only way I could take the side of letting them stay is if no one within the school objected to it and it was just an outside push to make them change. Even if the majority wants it there but it offends one person, then it shouldnt' be there. In smaller communities like Giles, there's a good chance that the ten commandments have never offended anyone.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/274441

Annie Laurie Gaylor, Freedom from Religion Foundation's co-president, was angered Thursday when she heard about the school board's vote.

"Anybody with any common sense could see why you cannot put religious dogma on the walls of the school," she said. "This is just a travesty; it's shocking."

The foundation now is seeking parents of children in the school system who could serve as plaintiffs in a lawsuit. The foundation likely could keep them confidential.

In the meantime, the foundation intends to pressure the school board, she said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As you can see from this article it is "outside sources" pushing for the removal.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Then yeah, thats pretty lame.

And don't think I'm anti-Christian here. I'm okay with the Ten Commandments in your yard, in your house, tattooed on your face, on a tshirt, on a bumper sticker, or etched into a corn maze. But in a public institution, if people complain, given our Constitution, I think we have to obide by that.

If no one in that public institution complains and an outsider comes in to initiate change, I think that is pretty unfair. As is the case here.

I didn't want anyone to throw Bibles at me.

The only way I could take the side of letting them stay is if no one within the school objected to it and it was just an outside push to make them change. Even if the majority wants it there but it offends one person, then it shouldnt' be there. In smaller communities like Giles, there's a good chance that the ten commandments have never offended anyone.

deuceswild, I have always respected your posts as they strike me as being sincere and thoughtful. You are someone with reflection and thought and not one who "shoots from the hip," I appreciate that.

If I may state a couple of points--when we take away the foundation of absolute truths (being a Christian I believe that God's word is absolute) I feel we have weakened ourselves as a nation and people.

We become subject to the cultural climate and environment. Our paths have no definite course, we walk according to the last man made law or interpretation of that law. The strength or deficit of that culture or environment becomes our standard.

God did give us a choice, to believe him or not, to follow him or not, to be a light for him or not, to walk in paths he directs or not.

I want my nation, my family, my neighbors, my friends to have a constant and abiding faith not in the "way that seems right to man, but in the one "who formed us and knew us while we were in our mother's womb."

The scripture below says more clearly and emphatically my hopes for our nation, than I ever could.

Proverbs 14:26 "Whoever fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge." (NIV)

As a Christian, the things that bother me about this are two-fold. First when Christ was born God began a New Covenant with all mankind. Jesus says the greatest commandment is "to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your might; and to love your neighbor as your self." That is what we as Christians are directed to do, not the 10 Commandments.

Second, if folks would make as much effort to practice living as a Christian as they do getting bent out of shape over this kinds of things, there would be no need to post them in schools and courthouses.

If we live the right way and set the right examples, then and only then will we truly be a Christian country. But since we so delight in slinging mud at those who disagree with us, worship things (cars, houses, toys etc.) and place false idols in front of God ($$$$) then what difference do the words on the school house wall make.

deuceswild, I have always respected your posts as they strike me as being sincere and thoughtful. You are someone with reflection and thought and not one who "shoots from the hip," I appreciate that.

If I may state a couple of points--when we take away the foundation of absolute truths (being a Christian I believe that God's word is absolute) I feel we have weakened ourselves as a nation and people.

We become subject to the cultural climate and environment. Our paths have no definite course, we walk according to the last man made law or interpretation of that law. The strength or deficit of that culture or environment becomes our standard.

God did give us a choice, to believe him or not, to follow him or not, to be a light for him or not, to walk in paths he directs or not.

I want my nation, my family, my neighbors, my friends to have a constant and abiding faith not in the "way that seems right to man, but in the one "who formed us and knew us while we were in our mother's womb."

The scripture below says more clearly and emphatically my hopes for our nation, than I ever could.

Proverbs 14:26 "Whoever fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge." (NIV)

I'm with Deuces on this one.

You summed it up by saying "being a Christian I believe that God's word is absolute". You have to realize that not everyone in America is a Christian, and not everyone believes that God's word is absolute. If you want your child to have a Christian education, then there are schools that offer that...just not public schools. When I say "you", I'm not speaking about you directly, just people that are upset by this in general.

I'm all for freedom to believe in whatever you want, but not when people start forcing those beliefs on others, especially the most impressionable of all people, children.

I read this somewhere else and it sounded pretty logical to me; what if the school decided to put scriptures from the Koran on the walls of the school...could you imagine the uproar?

As a Christian, the things that bother me about this are two-fold. First when Christ was born God began a New Covenant with all mankind. Jesus says the greatest commandment is "to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your might; and to love your neighbor as your self." That is what we as Christians are directed to do, not the 10 Commandments.

Second, if folks would make as much effort to practice living as a Christian as they do getting bent out of shape over this kinds of things, there would be no need to post them in schools and courthouses.

If we live the right way and set the right examples, then and only then will we truly be a Christian country. But since we so delight in slinging mud at those who disagree with us, worship things (cars, houses, toys etc.) and place false idols in front of God ($$$$) then what difference do the words on the school house wall make.

That's refreshing! A rational thought regarding religion! If only more people saw things your way.

I'm with Deuces on this one.

You summed it up by saying "being a Christian I believe that God's word is absolute". You have to realize that not everyone in America is a Christian, and not everyone believes that God's word is absolute. If you want your child to have a Christian education, then there are schools that offer that...just not public schools. When I say "you", I'm not speaking about you directly, just people that are upset by this in general.

I'm all for freedom to believe in whatever you want, but not when people start forcing those beliefs on others, especially the most impressionable of all people, children.

I read this somewhere else and it sounded pretty logical to me; what if the school decided to put scriptures from the Koran on the walls of the school...could you imagine the uproar?

Exactly.

As with Giles County, you'd probably be hard pressed to find a family who didn't have some Christian basis with their religion and this I'm only assuming. And many times, those who aren't religious don't offer up much of an objection to these things because they turn into fiascoes. But take Montgomery County for instance. Sure, the foundation of it's original people are likely some form of protestant but with the constant influx of new people to Virginia Tech comes people with different backgrounds, religions, belief systems, etc. Therefore Montgomery's school systems have several families who are not Christian. The 10 Commandments wouldn't last there a day and they shouldn't, it's disrespectful to the concept of a country founded on religious freedoms.

People can be Christian all they want but a public school shouldn't advertise a specific religion. There's a reason we have churches and Sunday school and a reason we have a public school system. There are private schools where the 10 Commandments and crucifixes can hang around the clock and that be perfectly fine. My tax dollars don't pay for those kids.

I'm all about being proud of your religion and spreading the word. That is the point of a religion, right? But pushing it on people in a way that violates the belief systems of others and goes against the separation of church and state just isn't my thing.

My office mate is from India and he has relics of his local religion on his desk and on his computer background. I'm not the least bit offended and would never, ever ask him to remove it. My desk has a figurine of Super Mario, but I don't worship him. And I probably wouldn't even object if he hung a religious scripture of his on one of our shared walls. He's a nice guy and whatever, I like him. I'm sure his religious scripture means well as most of my Christian scriptures do. But if my company came in and hung a religious scripture, either in my favor or his, on one of our shared walls, then we have a problem. At that point I'm no longer tolerating the religiousness of a friend, I'm having it forced upon me (or him having it forced upon him) from a greater entity. And that's not what I show up here for.

In the case of schools, you can see where I'm drawing parallels.

This was an inside complaint, calling to the outside force. Now the outside force will probably file a lawsuite. I can see everyones points here. I dont get excited over stuff like this one way or the other. Personally, Im a Christian, but thats my business. I appreciate the peoples effort, and emotion, but I really dont think this is worth it. My kids morals and upbringing starts at home. I dont need a plaque on the wall at school.

If we live the right way and set the right examples, then and only then will we truly be a Christian country.

Please know, I wasn't getting bent out of shape, or slinging mud. Wasn't trying to be controversial, only amicable in presenting my thoughts and I hope it didn't come across as otherwise.

You are right, we Christians need to walk what we talk, as the Bible says we are to be salt and light.

Please know, I wasn't getting bent out of shape, or slinging mud. Wasn't trying to be controversial, only amicable in presenting my thoughts and I hope it didn't come across as otherwise.

You are right, we Christians need to walk what we talk, as the Bible says we are to be salt and light.

It's all good. I had not even read your post when I wrote mine. The slinging of mud I was referring to was what you hear from so-called religious men on the national stage.

Great post!

• 2 weeks later...

• 8 months later...