Repeal Amendment

Hacker

In VA and many other states, there are efforts to add an amendment to the Constitution that would repeal any Federal Laws that 2/3 of the State Legislatures vote to do so. Feel free to comment on what you think.

In VA one legislator has proposed a similar amendment that would apply to the relationship between the General Assembly and the local governments. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/rtd-opinion/2011/jan/22/tdopin01-physician-heal-thyself-ar-790616/ What is good for the goose may also be good for the gander.

In VA and many other states, there are efforts to add an amendment to the Constitution that would repeal any Federal Laws that 2/3 of the State Legislatures vote to do so. Feel free to comment on what you think.

In VA one legislator has proposed a similar amendment that would apply to the relationship between the General Assembly and the local governments. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/rtd-opinion/2011/jan/22/tdopin01-physician-heal-thyself-ar-790616/ What is good for the goose may also be good for the gander.

How do you reconcile this with Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution?

How do you reconcile this with Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution?

You mean Article I, Section 8, Subsection 18 - dealing with the powers of Congress "to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution of the foregoing powers and all other powers vested by the Constitution in the government of the United States or in any department thereof."

They are not thinking that far ahead.

You mean Article I, Section 8, Subsection 18 - dealing with the powers of Congress "to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution of the foregoing powers and all other powers vested by the Constitution in the government of the United States or in any department thereof."

They are not thinking that far ahead.

Yep, the "necessary and proper" clause. I thought that might be the case.

What about NULLIFICATION? After all it was the states that created the Federal government. Also take into consideration the 10th Amendment.

and then we have the argument over who gets to define "Necessary and Proper."

what a mess

Nullification has never been given much credence in the courts over the years. If memory serves, from Constitutional Law class in college the 10th Amendment has been viewed as a catchall for the Bill of Rights. As per the Constitution the courts have the power to define "Necessary and Proper."