Tennessee`s 2011 signing class

To vthokies4life....are you being sarcastic, or serious??

Kind of both.

Sarcastic in the sense that the SEC is so deep that you can have the 13th best class in the nation and still have 5 teams in you conference with better classes than you.

Serious in the sense that I would love for Tech to put together a class even close to that.

Crazy how this whole recruiting game works.

The most impressive thing for me is UT signed all 26 commits. They got what they needed to fill positions. The SEC is soooooooo strong right now though, it could be a crap shoot next year again in the west with Alabama, Auburn, and LSU.

The most impressive thing for me is UT signed all 26 commits. They got what they needed to fill positions. The SEC is soooooooo strong right now though, it could be a crap shoot next year again in the west with Alabama, Auburn, and LSU.

Auburn won’t even be in the hunt next year without Cam Newton and Nick Fairley and their entire 0-line gone. They recruited some very good o-linemen, but that’s the toughest position on the football field to develop. Their defense also will have some holes to fill. It’s a rebuilding year. Mississippi State will be stronger than Auburn. Bama and LSU will slug it out for the SEC West crown. Bama’s defense will be insane, and even though the Tide loses Mark Ingram and Julio Jones on offense they won’t miss a beat, they just re-load with Trent Richardson and company. There will be a battle for the QB position, but the talent is over the top with A.J. McCarron and Phillip Sims and all but one of the o-line returning. You'll most likely see a continuing trend on offense to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers. No more "three yards and a cloud of dust" as in the past at Alabama. Congrats to Tennessee for filling some voids...overall a very good class.

Edited by blueinbama

Auburn won’t even be in the hunt next year without Cam Newton and Nick Fairley and their entire 0-line gone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Auburn finish 4-8 next season and Gene Chizik on the hot seat.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Auburn finish 4-8 next season and Gene Chizik on the hot seat.

That's about what they were predicted to finish this past season...before anyone knew about CN...

Tennessee's class was very good and that is saying something considering the class was heavy upfront and the defensive backfield. Tennessee had to sign kids in this class that where going to be there and stay in the program and buy into it. Dooley said this class Core GPA was over 3.0 and the average ACT was around 21. To get a 12th or 13th ranked class and fill it with those type of kids says alot IMO. I think he done a great job. We need some stability and kids who are going to stay out of trouble and buy into the program and I think this class reflects it.

He filled his needs by getting better at the line of scrimage and the defensive backfield, signed who he targeted instate, and got two or three kids who he thinks can start right off the bat with Jucos who all have three years to play three. I also think there are several kids who are underated. Like Randolph who was 1st team Parade and USA today All American and won Gatorade Player of the year in Georiga but was only a 3* on rivals.

But....

What is up with Tech? 33rd? I know those rankings don't always tell the tell. But I would have thought a little better coming off an orange bowl and losing all those skill people. It is the first time since 07 they haven't been in the Top 25.....

And Clemson, UNC, Fl. St all killed it. UVA even got better it seems......

What is up with Tech? 33rd? I know those rankings don't always tell the tell. But I would have thought a little better coming off an orange bowl and losing all those skill people. It is the first time since 07 they haven't been in the Top 25

If you admit the rankings don't mean much, then what does it matter that VT is 33rd??

Here's a tip, rankings are almost worthless. VT's class will be fine. The 2007 class was not night highly rated at all and won three conference titles in four years. Big whoop, eh??

If you admit the rankings don't mean much, then what does it matter that VT is 33rd??

Here's a tip, rankings are almost worthless. VT's class will be fine. The 2007 class was not night highly rated at all and won three conference titles in four years. Big whoop, eh??

It depends on your conference.....SEC needs to be up there to compete. The ACC has been weak but are on the rise Clemson and FSU both were up there I wouldn't be so ready to count it as ok.

Don't be surprised if Dan Mullen gets Miss. St. going in the next 5 years or so. He is a high sought after coach, but he will not leave Miss., for what reason is beyond me, but he is killing in recruiting, and was Chris Leak and Tim Tebow's coach at Florida at quarterback coach and offensive co. So be ready for them to make some serious noise in the next few seasons!!

Don't be surprised if Dan Mullen gets Miss. St. going in the next 5 years or so. He is a high sought after coach, but he will not leave Miss., for what reason is beyond me, but he is killing in recruiting, and was Chris Leak and Tim Tebow's coach at Florida at quarterback coach and offensive co. So be ready for them to make some serious noise in the next few seasons!!

The Cecil and Cam Newton story really hampered CDM's recruiting efforts this year, and until the Newton story is completely resolved it will be difficult for him to compete year after year with the likes of Bama, Auburn and LSU. Even though I don't have any information that Miss. St. did anything wrong, you never know how these things are going to turn out...and believe me it's not over by a long shot. Recruits are fully aware of the possible implications of something like this. As far as Mullin staying at Miss. State, don't count on him being there 5 years. As soon as another top tier job is offered, he will be on the first plane out of Mississippi.

Edited by blueinbama

It's not pretty!

Barely two years later, all references to the "Kiffin Class" in Knoxville should come with a warning label: May spontaneously combust at any moment. And the flames start at the very top – of the five Tennessee signees that ranked among Rivals' top 100 overall prospects in '09, Jackson's exit brings the score to oh-for-five:

Bryce was A-overrated, B-homesick

JJ will be back for camp probably, if not.. it's ok, anyone can be replaced.

Oku will probably go to UT Chatt, Mike Edwards cleaned up and signed with Hawaii, Nu'keese is worthless, Askew is a great guy who has just had alot of misfortune.

One bad apple . . . .

Bryce was A-overrated, B-homesick

JJ will be back for camp probably, if not.. it's ok, anyone can be replaced.

Oku will probably go to UT Chatt, Mike Edwards cleaned up and signed with Hawaii, Nu'keese is worthless, Askew is a great guy who has just had alot of misfortune.

One bad apple . . . .

Thanks for the inside story.

You know that isn't true. Florida wanted him to become their new head coach, he passed. Miami wanted him to become their new head coach as well...same story. He is wanting to build something there for some reason, he doesn't want to go anywhere. Even Notre Dame wanted him last year, he said he was a Miss St. member....so we will see.

Yeah, Tenn is the only team to recruit them. Most teams would have given their left n*t to have these guys. This would have happened anywhere in the country. Kiffin is a peice of work, USC will learn much harder than Tenn did. Definitely glad he's gone and CDD is at the helm on "the hill". I dont think CDD will take any crap off any of them whether 5 stars or walk-ons.

I figured Jackson leaving was coming. He left after the regular season and went back to Louisiana because of "family problems." I say good riddance to everything that had to do with Kiffin. Dooley has had two good recruiting classes now. Losing Jackson will hurt Tennessee, but it will not kill them.

Jackson's been problems from the minute he committed to us. I think he has a brother who was just charged in a double murder and he has a history with Drug use. I think it is time to cut ties. I don't know the whole story and I don't think anyone does outside of the program but there is alot of baggage with him. It is something all the time. He is a very talented player but sometimes it is just better to move forward.

As far as the kiffin class. To be fair not all that class was Kiffin's. Fulmer had alot of those kids already commited. But the ones he swayed late in that class don't seemed to have worked out. Brown, Richardson, Jackson, Edwards..... Dooley calls that "Hot Sauce" recruiting. He says that in his opinion those type players that fall for the "Hot Sauce" usually don't work out anyway. He said he wants to build a relationship with a guy over a period of time and get a feel for what type of player and what type of person he is getting. He said that he feels it takes some of the risk out of it in his eyes. Which I agree with. So I think we are going to see alot less of this attrition at UT the longer Dooley is there and I think you will see alot less drama around the program as well.

Jackson's been problems from the minute he committed to us. I think he has a brother who was just charged in a double murder and he has a history with Drug use. I think it is time to cut ties. I don't know the whole story and I don't think anyone does outside of the program but there is alot of baggage with him. It is something all the time. He is a very talented player but sometimes it is just better to move forward.

As far as the kiffin class. To be fair not all that class was Kiffin's. Fulmer had alot of those kids already commited. But the ones he swayed late in that class don't seemed to have worked out. Brown, Richardson, Jackson, Edwards..... Dooley calls that "Hot Sauce" recruiting. He says that in his opinion those type players that fall for the "Hot Sauce" usually don't work out anyway. He said he wants to build a relationship with a guy over a period of time and get a feel for what type of player and what type of person he is getting. He said that he feels it takes some of the risk out of it in his eyes. Which I agree with. So I think we are going to see alot less of this attrition at UT the longer Dooley is there and I think you will see alot less drama around the program as well.

That's a good take on it. I liked what I saw from Dooley this year, and I like the caliber of men that he's recruiting there.