A look back at 1995

futbolking

I think the big Graham O-line folks are thinking of was in '90...pretty sure it looked something like this...

T 6'5" 280

G 6'2" 256

C 6' 230

G 6'6" 274

T 6'2" 264

Too many turnovers in the Semifinal at Rustburg cost Graham a shot at back-to-back State Titles...

And a close call on a field goal...

I think the big Graham O-line folks are thinking of was in '90...pretty sure it looked something like this...

T 6'5" 280

G 6'2" 256

C 6' 230

G 6'6" 274

T 6'2" 264

Too many turnovers in the Semifinal at Rustburg cost Graham a shot at back-to-back State Titles...

And the undefeated season. 3 state titles, 0 undefeated seasons.

The 1989 championship game was played at Mitchell Stadium in an absolute mud-bath if I recall correctly. Seems like Southampton was complaining a lot about the field conditions that day. Both teams had to play in it though.

Also, I was thinking the Graham offensive line in 1989 averaged close to 290-300 pounds. Can't remember their names, but I do remember listening to an opponents game broadcast and having their radio man continually say the GHS OL looks like a college line.

the semi-final vs. rustburg was in the mud-bath, and they were the ones complaining. The final vs. southampton was actually a nice day.

And the undefeated season. 3 state titles, 0 undefeated seasons.

The first round of playoffs that year was a great game too! Gmen-7 Tazewell-3. Dennis Vaught was at Tazewell that year and we came out in the spread for that one game. Those were some big boys up front.

• 1 month later...
the semi-final vs. rustburg was in the mud-bath, and they were the ones complaining. The final vs. southampton was actually a nice day.

Graham vs. Rustburg...preview of the '90 game talks about the '89 game...

Excerpt from the report (and I'm summarizing here, not verbatim) "Rustburg made no excuses for the (89) loss...BUT...they can't help but wonder how the game would have went had the field conditions been better"

I love this football-speak, which translated means...."We're not going to come out and SAY we lost because of the field conditions, but we really believe we lost because of the field conditions".

Edited by hoard