Hold on tight folks...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New to Bluefield. Not the "two Virginias" as a whole.

And you're not going to buy into Global Warming like us liberals are you?

Didn't you know, Bluefield IS the "two Virginias"...:rolleyes:

As for the Global Warming stuff...nope, not buying it.

This area has had severe storms before...not quite like last Wednesday night, but severe enough to knock down trees with high winds and ping-pong ball sized hail.

I attribute the "tornado warnings" to advancements in radar technology as I'm sure there have been storms to roll through here in the past that would have indicated "spin up" if the technology was available back then.

As a matter of fact, I can remember three storms when I worked in the golf business that did significant tree damage to the golf course. One was extremely high, straight line winds from a bow echo that blew through one Friday afternoon in early June of '91 or '92.

The other two were classified as "downdrafts" that caused the high winds, however I have my suspicions about both.

The first storm knocked down trees in various directions, similar to what you would see in a tornado, very much different from the bow echo storm winds mentioned above. The other left about a 100-yard wide path of destruction across the golf course from #3 green on the northwest side of the golf course, crossing several holes, and continuing through the woods between a subdivision and the golf course, on the east side of the club property. Once again, trees tossed in random directions.

None of these three storms were warned any higher than "Severe Thunderstorm".

Not to mention the storm that blew through Bluefield and Princeton in February, 2009. That storm did extensive tree damage throughout my neighborhood and did significant structure damage along Oakvale Rd., near the interstate, in Princeton. That one took out our McDonald's sign and did damage to the HVAC units on the roof of our building as well as destroying a motel (ripped the roof off) just up the street...that motel had to be torn down due to the damage. That storm too was warned no stronger than "Severe Thunderstorm".

Until last week, that was the most nervous I have been during a storm in Bluefield...the inward bowing of the bay window in our living room made me head for an interior room, but not the basement like last week's storms did.

As a matter of fact, I can remember three storms when I worked in the golf business that did significant tree damage to the golf course. One was extremely high, straight line winds from a bow echo that blew through one Friday afternoon in early June of '91 or '92.

June '92. I was 7 years old, and could remember the events of that day.

Yes, Bluefield, WV...and there were two...the first one included Bluefield and Mercer Co. The second one explicitly stated BLUEFIELD, only, in the warning...and yes, I've never seen clouds like that in Bluefield as we had with that second warning. Not afraid to admit it, I started getting a little nervous with that one...

I was in Wal-Mart when that storm kicked off. It started hailing so hard on those tin/metal roofs, whatever they are,you had to yell at somebody 10 feet away from you just to talk.

Did the clouds look that bad? I really didn't get a chance to see them. Explanation if you please.

Pics from an EF5 tornado in Neshoba County, Mississippi. The ground was ripped up 2 feet deep, 25-50 yards wide in spots and pavement was ripped up...

scoured.jpg

--%282%29_157.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7kOKoXVzbdRwjVcWtZ1WqoD_pgM5jHVHDBDoIMTmVGy1RnCS2

On the more local side, Morristown confirmed an EF0 tornado in northern Sevier County, TN today. First ever recorded for Sevier County I believe. Also that tornado I mentioned before in Blount County, TN that tore through the Smoky Mountains ended up being rated a strong mile wide EF4 tornado. Like I was saying though, hopefully a reminder that these mountains don't stop strong tornadoes either. Mentioned the tornado in Smyth County also before, the count will stay the same overall, but there ended up being two tornadoes confirmed in Smyth County. The EF2 near Chilhowie was the tornado that went through Washington County (affecting Abingdon, Glade Spring, etc.), it ended up lifting at the base of Brushy Mountain in Smyth County. Another tornado (EF1) was confirmed near Konnarock in Smyth too.

Edited by Beamerball

The EF2 near Chilhowie was the tornado that went through Washington County (affecting Abingdon, Glade Spring, etc.), it ended up lifting at the base of Brushy Mountain in Smyth County. .

That means that tornado went 8-10 miles before lifting. From Exit 29, through Plum Creek, over 107, through Carlock Creek, to Brushy Mountain.

It touched down just to south of Abingdon then traveled up to that point. From the assessments they said the path length through Washington County was 25 miles long (width at one point was 3/4 a mile wide) then went a few more miles into Smyth County lifting at Carlock Creek Road.

It touched down just to south of Abingdon then traveled up to that point. From the assessments they said the path length through Washington County was 25 miles long (width at one point was 3/4 a mile wide) then went a few more miles into Smyth County lifting at Carlock Creek Road.

Yikes. That seems awfully long for the mountains. What is the average travel distance for a typical F2/F3?