Hold on tight folks...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WVVA just said a possible tornado just south of Richlands. I walked outside to get a piece of hail, I didnt make it too far before I got beat up by quarter to golf ball sized hail. Sirens just went off over there.

this could be a rocky night in the weather department...

From what I can gather, 2 confirmed tornadoes on the ground. The first 9 miles south of Claypool Hill. The second near Allison Gap.

Let me know if this is one and the same, I could be wrong. But from the radar, it looks like 2 separate ones.

Edited by UVAObserver

From what I can gather, 2 confirmed tornadoes on the ground. The first 9 miles south of Claypool Hill. The second near Allison Gap.

Let me know if this is one and the same, I could be wrong. But from the radar, it looks like 2 separate ones.

Idk if the one South of CPH touched ground or not. But I know the one in Allison Gap did.

Idk if the one South of CPH touched ground or not. But I know the one in Allison Gap did.

It touched down, yes.

The northern one is going to pass through southern McDowell County.

The southern one looks as if it's going to pass through Gratton, but who knows-it's so fast-moving.

Edit: Appears if the southern one is moving more north than expected: now looking like Springville/Tip Top/Bluefield.

Edit: Hearing that the northern one went through Abbs Valley and into southern McDowell County. It looks as if it's died in McDowell County, as the warning's expired now.

Edited by UVAObserver

A third tornado confirmed near Bristol, VA (Richwood). Moving northeast at 65 MPH. Appearing that it will affect Damascus, Meadowview, Glade Spring.

We don't see 3 tornadoes every 10 years, and here we've had 3 in one night. WOW...

Edit: Second cell should be passing just south of Bluefield at this moment, perhaps into Bland County.

Edit: Second cell now into southern Mercer County, should pass just south of Princeton.

Edit: Third cell rollicking through Smyth County as we speak...may reach as far north as Ceres in Bland County.

Edited by UVAObserver

Warning in Pulaski and Radford now

Yep, for the 3rd one. Staying a bit farther south than the first two.

Fourth tornado-producing cell came into VA just west of Whitetop, in Grayson County.

Four tornadoes in SWVA tonight. Just incredible.

Edited by UVAObserver

That would be the 4th one, that originated near Elizabethton. Looks like it's farther south than that on the radar, though. This is surreal.

It's headed towards Radford and is supposed to be here at 1:10 am. Signature looks good for one on the ground. Im not going to sleep yet. Huge lighting bolt just outside my house and pouring rain now.

I saw that and laughed my ass off haha. I liked it just because i thought it was halirious.

I did too, LOL. I think it was the yellow warning sign of a tornado and a person running away.

Perhaps some of that was seeing "Tazewell/Mercer", "tornado", and "survived" in the same sentence.

It's headed towards Radford and is supposed to be here at 1:10 am. Signature looks good for one on the ground. Im not going to sleep yet. Huge lighting bolt just outside my house and pouring rain now.

I'll be here with you. This whole thing's got me jazzed. Stay safe, though.

None of the other storms to the southwest have tornado signatures, the best I can see. However, the storms are still severe, and Russell County's getting hit right now with that.

Edited by UVAObserver

I did too, LOL. I think it was the yellow warning sign of a tornado and a person running away.

Perhaps some of that was seeing "Tazewell/Mercer", "tornado", and "survived" in the same sentence.

QUOTE]

That is the sign that the Richlands Boosters used to use for a tee shirt that said Caution: Storm Warning. The only difference is that there was a football on the sign.

Where are you guys getting confirmed touchdowns at?

Many different sources. My favorite is the updates from the National Weather Service. There's evidence in those warnings whether there's just rotation or if there has been a funnel cloud report/sighting. The first four were of the "definitely a funnel cloud/tornado" type, this most recent one was just a "rotation but no funnel yet" type.

The others, I'm going off reliable individuals I know in SWVA. I have at least one confirmation on each of the first four, and multiple ones for 2 and 4.

And, as I typed that, I just got a confirmation on #5. On the ground near Glade Spring, moving NE at 70 MPH.

Edit: now near Chilhowie, moving NE at 60 MPH.

Brace one last time, Tazewell County.

Looks like Tazewell may take the brunt of this one. Can't confirm if it's still tornadic, but the potential's there...