The Trump..

Lance

Word. "Fair and Balanced"...who they fooling? I have no problem with them being a right leaning network. I have no problem with MSNBC being left leaning. I just don't like how their slogan is blatently..."Fair and Balanced"... ugh.

Craig Ferguson has better delivery than any of them, lol.

It's an industry rumor that FOX did that just to peeve the left-leaning CNN and MSNBC.

Guest The Variable
False advertisement though, really.

Specious...you commented on getting info from the BBC, who advertises similar things. There isnt a single 100% objective person on the planet. We all have our biases, in almost everything.

You could get CNN for being "the most trusted name in news", too. ;)

Or the New York Times for "everything that's fit to print".

I trust CNN more than FoxNews, but I get your point.

I realize the slants associated with each but I find the BBC more favoring just because it's not American. There's no way to avoid complete bias and I would prefer if networks admitted it. There's no sense in pretending to be something that you're clearly not, especially when you're a news source. Nothing says "Our news is tainted" like "Fair & Balanced" when everyone knows your not. Or "Most Trusted" when thats like saying "This beer has the most refreshing taste"...like what does that even mean and how did you find that out?

FoxNews: "We lean right as f**k"

CNN: "The most trusted source of left leaning news"

MSNBC: "We lean so left, we're practically laying down"

BBC: "Hey, at least we're not blimey American news and our accents make everything sound more believable"

New York Times: "We can't believe you still read, we'll publish anything you'll buy"

CBS News: "Seriously? You chose us? Do you not have other channels?"

Guest The Variable
I trust CNN more than FoxNews, but I get your point.

I realize the slants associated with each but I find the BBC more favoring just because it's not American. There's no way to avoid complete bias and I would prefer if networks admitted it. There's no sense in pretending to be something that you're clearly not, especially when you're a news source. Nothing says "Our news is tainted" like "Fair & Balanced" when everyone knows your not. Or "Most Trusted" when thats like saying "This beer has the most refreshing taste"...like what does that even mean and how did you find that out?

BBC: "Hey, at least we're not blimey American news and our accents make everything sound more believable"

New York Times: "We can't believe you still read, we'll publish anything you'll buy"

LMAO...I would have said

BBC: Hey, at least we arent the bloody Guardian.

I like the FT and the UK Times. Both seem as level as I could reasonably expect...but like I said, its all in how you read the news anyway.

How about

60 Minutes: because we need to remind you watching us doesnt last an eternity.

I long for the days when the media, especially print. Reported the news, i.e. told us what was going on and kept their editorial comments in a separate part of the publication. The reader knew the Washington Post was liberal, and the Richmond Times-Dispatch and Wall Street Journal were conservative. You read them all and came to your own opinions.

Now what happens is the heads spew opinions and do so consistently and loudly that many folks have their opinions made for them. That is not providing informatio, that is propaganda. IMO that is what Fox News specializes in, with their steady drumbeat of conservative talking points. MSNBC tries the same, but they lack the zealotry of a RIchard Vigurie at the top to maintain the focus.

ROFL. Well done.

Guest The Variable
I long for the days when the media, especially print. Reported the news, i.e. told us what was going on and kept their editorial comments in a separate part of the publication. The reader knew the Washington Post was liberal, and the Richmond Times-Dispatch and Wall Street Journal were conservative. You read them all and came to your own opinions.

How long ago was that?

Now what happens is the heads spew opinions and do so consistently and loudly that many folks have their opinions made for them. That is not providing informatio, that is propaganda. IMO that is what Fox News specializes in, with their steady drumbeat of conservative talking points. MSNBC tries the same, but they lack the zealotry of a RIchard Vigurie at the top to maintain the focus.

I notice a distinct difference in fox coverage versus political commentary. I would define Greta Van Sustern as fair and balanced, but obviously not Oreilly. Brett Bair has a bit of a conservative slant, and Sheppard Smith is actually pretty dead neutral. I do not see that out of the other networks.

If you want it explained how it is, just listen to Krauthammer.

Go back to the days of the 1960s and 70s. Newspapers reported news, even major stuff like Vietnam, and Watergate objectively. That did not mean they didn't bash one side or the other on the editorial pages.

The key factor was you knew which was news and which was opinion and editorializing. Now they do more opinion and editorializing than straight coverage of news.

That is why I use BBC and news amalgamators online to give me multiple points of view on stories. I still prefer to think for myself and draw my own conclusions. I mean really what other use is there for a Liberal Arts education?

Guest The Variable
Go back to the days of the 1960s and 70s. Newspapers reported news, even major stuff like Vietnam, and Watergate objectively. That did not mean they didn't bash one side or the other on the editorial pages.

The key factor was you knew which was news and which was opinion and editorializing. Now they do more opinion and editorializing than straight coverage of news.

That is why I use BBC and news amalgamators online to give me multiple points of view on stories. I still prefer to think for myself and draw my own conclusions. I mean really what other use is there for a Liberal Arts education?

Well the Vietnam era was over a decade prior to my birth, so I wouldnt know. I have heard that part of the problem with Vietnam was that it WAS covered by people who didnt like the war and it showed in their reporting of it.

What you usually saw was TV reporters and photographers who as the war moved on shot footage that drove home the brutality of war. My dad served in Vietnam, and I still clearly remember watching the NBC news at dinner time and seeing color images of the dead and wounded.

Most Americans were not willing to see it and that was why popular opinion turned against the war. No one had to come on the CBS Evening News or NBC Nightly News and spew rhetoric, the pictures did all the talking.

The same with the racial protests in Alabama. Once folks saw the images, opinions changed. No one had to be led by the nose.

Guest The Variable
What you usually saw was TV reporters and photographers who as the war moved on shot footage that drove home the brutality of war. My dad served in Vietnam, and I still clearly remember watching the NBC news at dinner time and seeing color images of the dead and wounded.

Most Americans were not willing to see it and that was why popular opinion turned against the war. No one had to come on the CBS Evening News or NBC Nightly News and spew rhetoric, the pictures did all the talking.

The same with the racial protests in Alabama. Once folks saw the images, opinions changed. No one had to be led by the nose.

Perhaps, I guess it is a double edged sword, while the racism was justly crucified through footage, war is something that cannot be conveyed through mere words and footage...and to provide that to the common person in there house is to invite disaster...as we found out in Vietnam, but never corrected.

Your dad has my thanks and deep respect for being part of the most disrespected era of our military history.