VHS State Championships

V-Cats

At Virginia High's basketball court there are painted on banners celebrating the various state championships won over the years. As you would expect, there are plenty in the baseball dept. But one caught my eye. There is a banner for football state championships in 1929 and 1933. At the time that these were won, Beattie Feathers attended VHS and was a star running back. My question is, how can they claim a state championship from before the VHSL started awarding them?

Quick correction: 1927, not 1929

not sure, but i think they were voted on back then by someone...not sure who or how it worked, but i remember seeing something about it...i think it went on like that up in to the 1950's...i will have to look around and see if i can find the story again. There was an article that talked about it and TN High's National Championship....pretty sure it was in the BHC.

Narrows has the same banners for state titles in 38 and 39. I haven't been able to find any written history on it but apparently there was a VHSL (association of mainly eastern schools) but also another association all together. The VHSL voted on their champs and had no playoffs till the 70's. This other association had playoffs back in the 30's and probably back into the 20's. All the information I could ever dig up was from history tapes and interviews with NHS players from the time.

If anyone else has anything, feel free to share.