America reacts...

GMan

SCOTUS will likely strike it down as unconstitutional 5-4 or 5-3 if Kagan recuses herself. He went the wrong way with it. He refused to go after tort reform which remains the single largest contributing factor to rising health costs. If they strike it down...Obama is done.

This is the only thing in your post with which I disagree. I see a 5-4 vote in favor, with an opinion written by Kennedy. I don't see Kagan recusing herself, though she REALLY should. If she did, you get the dreaded "plurality", or even worse 4-4 split, where the issue isn't controlling on future instances.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Variable
Yes, he would've. Even after the incident, he was just 9000 votes short of holding off Jim Webb. That one incident, IMO, cost him the presidency of the United States. Allen was a man with considerable leadership experience, both in legislative and executive affairs. Just a shame he let his temper get the best of him that Charlottesville afternoon.

It's a shame, the Republicans have been looking for a candidate that isn't a complete dud, when in all reality that man was George Allen. Ugh...

He was presidential in old-school Virginia style. And football roots? He probably would lose in Dallas, Philly and New Jersey just because. Hes running against Tim Kaine for Senate for Webbs spot. I hope he wins because Kaine is a straight spender...part of why our roads look like $@.

And it wasnt his temper, it was his liquor...of all the dumb mistakes to make during campaign season.

Guest The Variable
This is the only thing in your post with which I disagree. I see a 5-4 vote in favor, with an opinion written by Kennedy. I don't see Kagan recusing herself, though she REALLY should. If she did, you get the dreaded "plurality", or even worse 4-4 split, where the issue isn't controlling on future instances.

It is going to be interesting, but I feel that the commerce section of it really does blow the bill up. The dufuses in congress did not fine tune it enough to be bulletproof and State AGs have had over a year to pick it apart.

We know how competent the Justice Department is in this administration as well...Eric Holder could screw this up by himself.

He was presidential in old-school Virginia style. And football roots? He probably would lose in Dallas, Philly and New Jersey just because. Hes running against Tim Kaine for Senate for Webbs spot. I hope he wins because Kaine is a straight spender...part of why our roads look like $@.

And it wasnt his temper, it was his liquor...of all the dumb mistakes to make during campaign season.

Temper, liquor, and a hint of racism. 3 strikes. You've got to at least make it out of the gate with less than 3, lol

Edited by deuceswild

Guest The Variable
Temper, liquor, and a hint of racism. 3 strikes. You've got to at least make it out of the gate with less than 3, lol

Somebody forgot to babysit the politician.

Its okay, Rubio might actually be the better alternative now.

It is going to be interesting, but I feel that the commerce section of it really does blow the bill up. The dufuses in congress did not fine tune it enough to be bulletproof and State AGs have had over a year to pick it apart.

We know how competent the Justice Department is in this administration as well...Eric Holder could screw this up by himself.

Normally, I would agree with you in saying that the Dormant Commerce Clause would defeat the law, but the Supreme Court has expanded the definition of the concept to where most anything would fit under it. Oddly enough, U.S. v. Morrison didn't, but that's about the only thing...

Guest The Variable
Normally, I would agree with you in saying that the Dormant Commerce Clause would defeat the law, but the Supreme Court has expanded the definition of the concept to where most anything would fit under it. Oddly enough, U.S. v. Morrison didn't, but that's about the only thing...

I hope you are wrong. You think Kennedy will side with the bill? I have heard that the court rulings against the bill have been pretty solid decisions.