Wise Co. numbers

VHSLhelper

The numbers at Central will climb as the progressive thinking folks from Norton who feel they are missing the boat as Norton continues to be stubborn on new school locale start sending their kids to Central. I have a friend who has already transferred her 2 and she's telling me that other parents are intending to do the same.

im surprised with the consolidation that only 47 st. paul students are attending eastside. I know in previous threads it was talked that alot of st. paul students were russell county residents, but I was wondering if anyone had the castlewood numbers from last year compared to this year or where can i find it?

Something is amiss here. PV had over 500 kids last year, someone goofed.

"PV 392 to 659 for Union" means 267 from Appy.

I looked up Sept., 2009, PV had 540 & Appy had 223.

If some Appy kids were going to Lee, no way this is right.

CYB prob. should've said 492 to 659, which would mean 167 from Appy

• 3 weeks later...

The numbers at Central will climb as the progressive thinking folks from Norton who feel they are missing the boat as Norton continues to be stubborn on new school locale start sending their kids to Central. I have a friend who has already transferred her 2 and she's telling me that other parents are intending to do the same.

I personally think Burton is a good school. Why would people take their kids from there to go to Central?

Central is gonna get a new building in a couple of years. Not to mention right now Central has a better staff(the best from JJK and LB). JIB is a good school but it wont last, money is tight and is gonna get tighter in Norton. Eventually Norton City Schools will have to consolidate w/ Wise Co, why not get your kids comftorable w/ new classmates now instead of later?

Central is gonna get a new building in a couple of years. Not to mention right now Central has a better staff(the best from JJK and LB). JIB is a good school but it wont last, money is tight and is gonna get tighter in Norton. Eventually Norton City Schools will have to consolidate w/ Wise Co, why not get your kids comftorable w/ new classmates now instead of later?

Who's LB ? Staff at Burton is just as good as Central...how do you come up with staff is better at Central? My kids go to Central..

Who's LB ? Staff at Burton is just as good as Central...how do you come up with staff is better at Central? My kids go to Central..

LB = Pound

My bad, teaching staff not coaching staff.

Edited by redtiger

I dont "know" but i do have a few facts; Central is a combination of JJK and Pound, now that doesent guarantee a better staff but I would bet when the two schools combined the better teachers were retained while the so-so ones were left w/o a position. Of course teachers w/ tenure were retained but on average I would assume that is an "all star" type of staff. 2nd the pay for teachers/staff in the Norton City School System is considerably lower than in Wise Co(or almost any other system in SWVA for that matter), im not saying all of the best teachers/staff look only at $ when taking a job but it is a major factor.

Put those two together and its a fair assumption that Central has a better staff than JI Burton. In a few years when the city has to start laying off their more experienced(more expensive) teachers to hire less experienced(cheaper) ones there will really be a difference in the staffs.

NCS also have a higher student to teacher ratio than WC(23-1 vs 15-1), Nortons is the highest in the state. Again thats not a guarantee of a better education but it helps.

I dont "know" but i do have a few facts; Central is a combination of JJK and Pound, now that doesent guarantee a better staff but I would bet when the two schools combined the better teachers were retained while the so-so ones were left w/o a position. Of course teachers w/ tenure were retained but on average I would assume that is an "all star" type of staff. 2nd the pay for teachers/staff in the Norton City School System is considerably lower than in Wise Co(or almost any other system in SWVA for that matter), im not saying all of the best teachers/staff look only at $ when taking a job but it is a major factor.

Put those two together and its a fair assumption that Central has a better staff than JI Burton. In a few years when the city has to start laying off their more experienced(more expensive) teachers to hire less experienced(cheaper) ones there will really be a difference in the staffs.

NCS also have a higher student to teacher ratio than WC(23-1 vs 15-1), Nortons is the highest in the state. Again thats not a guarantee of a better education but it helps.

With respect to your assumptions.... Still feel it is a unfair comparison without knowing the teaching staff at Burton ...Consolidation doesn't make you a better teacher..it just transfers you to a new location.. Bigger isn't always better... Smaller sports teams have defeated larger.. Example Burtons defeat of schools like Abingdon, Honaker, etc..

It is unfair and I dont necessarily think Central is the better school but I think that is in many cases the perception. My post was just stating the reasons some people have moved their children into the Wise County system, thats not necessarily my opnion. I should have made that clearer.

IMO NCS will combine w/ WCS in the very near future. That will mean that the kids from Norton that live around Josephine may end up at Union, those that live around Esserville may end up at Central and those that live in Norton/Ramsey may end up at Eastside, either because the school system sends them there or because their parents do; Union and Central would be much closer than Eastside, even w/ a new building in a new location.

If your kids are gonna have to change schools anyway, why wait until high school to do it? Thats the same reason alot of St Paul kids went to Castlewood.

Edited by redtiger

Norton and Wise County will have trouble working out any merger. In order for Wise County to absorb the Norton school district- make it worthwhile for Wise County to do it- Norton would have to give up part or all of its city status. City status keeps the tax rate low in Norton- most homeowners would have their property taxes all but double if they were part of the county. Norton is in pretty good shape financially- should be for some time to come. Far from losing significant enrollment- Norton has seen pretty big increases in enrollment the last few years- probably will continue to do so.

Tenure was supposedly not taken into account in the recent Wise County moves. They kept almost everybody. If you have the right connections you are taken care of in Wise County.

If your kids are gonna have to change schools anyway, why wait until high school to do it? Thats the same reason alot of St Paul kids went to Castlewood.

Now, that doesn't make sense. ALL 8th graders are going to have to change schools, whether they live in St. Paul, Coeburn, or Castlewood. The 3 Wise Co. high schools now have 2 feeder schools instead of 1 (or whatever)

Lets put it this way (hypothetical situation). I have a 10 year old daughter that goes to Norton Elem and in a few years the Norton students are gonna be split 3 ways; her friends, classmates and everyone she knows is gonna go a different way( we live in Esserville so if Norton gets split up my daughter will end up at Central instead of w/ most of her classmates at Eastside). Do I want her to have to make all new friends as a teenager or when she is 10? I would rather her do it at 10, so I go ahead and send her to Wise Primary to avoid that situation later on.

I went to Clinchco Elem and then to Sandlick Elem(Haysi), about 8 kids from Clinchco went to Haysi that year and most werent my friends. It wasnt horrible by any means but was uncomftorable and it took me awhile to settle in. Again not horrible but I would try to avoid that situation w/ my kids(if I had any).

I dont know but I assume alot of the parents that moved their kids fromSt Paul elem to Castlewood elem did so for the very reason I stated above.

Edited by redtiger

Well, I never had a problem with making friends, so I may be the wrong person to weigh in.

Grundy had 6 feeder schools... we met in 8th grade at the Jr. High. (oops... should have used 9th grade above, I guess.) Yeah, the first couple of months was weird with all the kids you don't know, but that also made it exciting.... all these new kids you didn't know! By 10th grade, you (should have) had friends from all the other schools, and I had 3 g/f's I didn't know 2 years earlier.

Guess you don't plan on sending her to college? If you can't make new friends as a teenager, forget about living in a dorm. I DO know 1 girl who went to Radford that came back home EVERY weekend (2.5 hours). Wasn't in any clubs or anything, had an eff. apt. by herself. As a matter of fact, she went to a private school. VERY fun and outgoing, but not a new-friend-maker type of person. (I worked for her dad.)

Also knew a church-schooled girl who was never around new kids. Also fun, outgoing. We hooked up because she used to call in requests on Friday nights. She ended up as president of the Graduate SGA at RU.

I guess it's all up to the person's personality.

No, I take that back... it's all about the PARENTS. THEY'RE the ones who kick anytime there's a change. The ones who send their kids out of Wise County ... GOOD FOR THEM. That makes things a LOT easier for everybody who doesn't have a problem, which is a vast majority of the ppl. involved.

Kinda like the Louisa momma who raised a fuss because she wasn't consulted b4 the SB made their decision about what to do about the kids from the earthquake damaged schools... the solution would require her son to travel too far.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2011/aug/26/louisa-announces-major-changes-school-year-post-qu-ar-1267069/

So, to counter your q... why NOT wait 'til HS to do it? That's when all the other kids do it. They should be able to make new friends anytime, any grade.

The 6 feeder schools that went to Grundy included all of the kids from the schools, thats adding new people not taking away. Like I said its not a huge deal but is alot for a child at that age. As for college, we all have to grow up sometime and hopefully have done it before high school. As far as me having to change schools, I changed 3 times in 3 years and im none the worse for wear, but if it can be avoided why not avoid it.

Alot of the fight against consolidation is parents who dont want to change. A benefit to consolidation is that by comming together into a new school children are forced to open up and be more outgoing. Change is good, it helps up grow as human beings.

Im not saying that parents moving their kids out of the NCSS is right but I understand why they do it.