Gate City Fans, what is your worst loss in history, did Harlan come close?

Guest lookoutmountain

Guest lookoutmountain

I can't believe the score when I saw it. I can never ever remember a Gate City team losing by a 41 point margin. This team you guys played must be one heck of a team this year. I wish you guys the best with your season, but I'm serious about my question. Have you guys ever been beat by 41 points in the last 40-41 years since the great early 70's teams?

I can't believe the score when I saw it. I can never ever remember a Gate City team losing by a 41 point margin. This team you guys played must be one heck of a team this year. I wish you guys the best with your season, but I'm serious about my question. Have you guys ever been beat by 41 points in the last 40-41 years since the great early 70's teams?

http://www.swvasports.com/content/Football/Schedules/Gate_City.htm

Don't remember the exact score, but in the late 80s John Battle shut out GC with a pretty big score (thinking JSB scored 40 or more, but I don't remember). That same year though, GC shut out Battle in the playoffs 26-0 to get revenge.

I just noticed that on that schedule you posted that Gate City's nickname is of course The Blue "Devils" but what is funny about that is it has the enrollment at " 666 " ! Can't get a better nickname than that with that enrollment....lol

Also a 47-0 defeat to Appalachia in '56 and 56-6 to Southhampton in '78. The Southhampton, Gretna, and Narrows games were in the playoffs (Gretna and Southampton championship games), and the years pre-56 were in the Shoemaker High era.

Anyone know if any of the others were home games?

Oh yes. that one wasn't even close. haha

I seen a lot were picking GC in the pick 'em and I figured most thought it was Harlan when instead it was Harlan County. Harlan is the smaller city school, Harlan County is the newer larger consolidated school, enrollment-wise between 1200-1300.

I seen a lot were picking GC in the pick 'em and I figured most thought it was Harlan when instead it was Harlan County. Harlan is the smaller city school, Harlan County is the newer larger consolidated school, enrollment-wise between 1200-1300.

I always get the two confused, lol. I didn't know HC was a consolidated school. When was the school formed exactly?

...defeat ever at Legion field, the only one close was the defeat to PV a few years back. In 2006 the game against JIB (at Norton) was the blowout where Tyler Parks and several others were hurt it was the last game of the year and pretty sure the score was ran up intentionally.

Harlan Co. did not run the score up, they could've scored a couple more td's. I know they could've blocked GC's last punt. This and the Southhampton 78, and Martinsville 75 games are the 3 worst defeats i have ever witnessed.

I was at the Narrows game and the Gretna game in 07, GC had 8 turnovers against Gretna yet moved the ball at will. Narrows stopped GC at the one, and then went on to win handily.

The other three games, GC was never in the game. Southhampton is still one of the best teams i have ever seen, Martinsville had Dennis Mahan fastest back i have ever seen.

I am personally interested to see how the kids respond after this, all the other games were season ending games, either in the playoffs or at the end of a losing season.

It will be a gut check for the GC program for 2011